My old CCC GUI refuses to show up. :(

Old January 28th 21, 06:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.windows7.general
Ant[_3_]

Default My old CCC GUI refuses to show up. :(

Hello.

I can't open my old ATI/AMD Radeon 4870 (512 MB of VRAM)'s video card driver
(13-9-legacy_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe)'s Catalyst Control Center GUI (still
can run its background install location\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe process
though) in my over decade old, updated 64-bit W7 HPE SP1 PC. It used to work a few
months ago though so something broke. I tried uninstalling, rebooting, and
reinstalling AMD driver+CCC suite into a new directory, but it still didn't work.

I still can extend and unextend my 1920x1080 desktop to my secondary old dumb
21.5" Samsung SyncMaster T22B350ND HDTV with my primary 23.6" 16:9 1920x1080
pixels ASUS VS247H-P monitor. Both video connections are using DVI-VGA adapters
and VGA cables via an old Y2K OmniCube KVM. I don't think it is a hardware issue.

http://pastebin.com/raw/MBJP13hc for my detailed event logs and opening about
showing a crash with an unhandled exception with MS .NET Framework. What's the
problem? Is it my .NET? Something else? I hope I don't have to reinstall my W7
from scratch to get it back.

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon.
--
ZzzZzz and so cold!
| |o o| |
Old January 28th 21, 12:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_28_]

Ant wrote:
[...]

This seems perfectly reasonable.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/arc...sion-of-the-os

"Windows 7 (all editions) includes

.NET Framework 3.5.1 as an OS component.

This means you will get the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2,
3.0 SP2 and
3.5 SP1
plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes.

*******

3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 can be added or removed via the
Programs and Features control panel.

What the author really means, is 2.0 SP2 cannot be removed
via Windows Features. If your damage is in 3.0 or 3.5, you're
in luck, toggling the button, doing some reboots between button
state changes, could "repair" the v3.0 and v3.5 folders. Only
an OS Repair Install can fix the v2.0.50727 folder. SurCHECK
is unlikely to care about .NET, but you can try that if
in a mood to waste time. SurCHECK is the lame replacement
for the DISM feature Windows 7 never got backported from
later OSes. Since the features in question don't have a strong
OS component, the backport would likely have cost nothing for them.

https://i.postimg.cc/HLGkM5hw/Win7-repair.gif

CCC control panel relies on 2.0 SP2. 2.0 SP2 cannot be
removed or repaired, as it is part of the "base" OS.

Aaron Stebners "netfx_setupverifier_new.zip" confirms this
for us, although somewhat clumsily (as the tester menu
grays out and won't allow selecting just anything you want
to test). Aaron Stebner appears to be a Microsoft employee
from the .NET group, who has constructed cleaning and
verification tools for the great unwashed masses.

The three .NET layers in question (2/3/3.5) share the same
CLR version number. Early versions of CCC relied on 2.0 ,
which is the one we can't fix without a Windows 7 Repair Install.
I could be quite wrong, but generally DISM/SFC are not focused
on .NET, because .NET started life totally separate
from the OS. Whereas today, things like the Windows Firewall
have a .NET dependency, and if Windows Firewall won't start,
the network stack can be held hostage (won't start either until
Firewall starts).

I know you're not interested in Repair Installs of your
Windows 7, so you can try the simple things and see how
they work out.

Paul
Old January 28th 21, 10:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.windows7.general
Ant[_3_]

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati Paul wrote:
Ant wrote:
[...]

Is there an official web site for this program to download from?

The three .NET layers in question (2/3/3.5) share the same
CLR version number. Early versions of CCC relied on 2.0 ,
which is the one we can't fix without a Windows 7 Repair Install.
I could be quite wrong, but generally DISM/SFC are not focused
on .NET, because .NET started life totally separate
from the OS. Whereas today, things like the Windows Firewall
have a .NET dependency, and if Windows Firewall won't start,
the network stack can be held hostage (won't start either until
Firewall starts).

I know you're not interested in Repair Installs of your
Windows 7, so you can try the simple things and see how
they work out.

Thanks. According to
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...n-cat-win-13-9 web
page, it needs .NET Framework v4.5 -- "* The AMD Catalyst 13.9 Software
Suite requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 to be installed. Microsoft
..NET Framework 4.5 is included in all Catalyst packages)."

I wonder if there is a third party software to take over old CCC with
similiar features like checking statistcs, overriding fan speeds, video
options, etc.
--
ZzzZzz and so cold!
| |o o| |
Old January 29th 21, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_28_]

Ant wrote:
[...]

It's on Stebners OneDrive. Yes, that's a nuisance to find.
You'll find breadcrumbs for that all over the place. "skydrive.live.com"
is part of the path of the official one. Remember, it's not a
Microsoft software product, it doesn't have support, yet it's
an important part of debugging .NET situations.

https://community.broadcom.com/commu...2-158a90a30074

Thanks. According to
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/re...n-cat-win-13-9 web
page, it needs .NET Framework v4.5 -- "* The AMD Catalyst 13.9 Software
Suite requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 to be installed. Microsoft
.NET Framework 4.5 is included in all Catalyst packages)."

I wonder if there is a third party software to take over old CCC with
similiar features like checking statistcs, overriding fan speeds, video
options, etc.

An older version would depend on .net 2.0 .

And there is CCC, CCC2, Crimson, there are different
names for the different versions. I would not be
surprised if the latest named version uses
a different .net value.

It's unlikely someone else would code up
a control panel. Only on a bar bet perhaps.
The softwares that do exist, set clocks
or support overclocking or undervolting on
the video cards. MSI Afterburner? being an
example ?

If you're dependent on .NET 4.5, can't you
remove it and reinstall it. Or even go into
Programs and Features, select the line item
and select "Repair" from the three-choice menu.
Not all items have a "Repair", just the well
crafted ones do. Some items only offer "Remove".

Paul
Old January 29th 21, 05:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.windows7.general
Ant[_3_]

Aaron Stebners "netfx_setupverifier_new.zip" confirms this
for us, although somewhat clumsily (as the tester menu
grays out and won't allow selecting just anything you want
to test). Aaron Stebner appears to be a Microsoft employee
from the .NET group, who has constructed cleaning and
verification tools for the great unwashed masses.

Is there an official web site for this program to download from?

It's on Stebners OneDrive. Yes, that's a nuisance to find.
You'll find breadcrumbs for that all over the place. "skydrive.live.com"
is part of the path of the official one. Remember, it's not a
Microsoft software product, it doesn't have support, yet it's
an important part of debugging .NET situations.

https://community.broadcom.com/commu...2-158a90a30074

Drats. Many links are gone including its zip files.

[...]

Ooh, I forgot about that software. I always used the reference softwares
from chipsets. I am using a MSI R4870-T2D512 OC Radeon HD 4870 video
card from 2012. I can't seem to find anything related to old Radeon HD
like https://us.msi.com/search/radeon%20HD. Argh.

So, I had to use DuckDuckGo's search for
https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/su...ver&Win7%2064:
https://download.msi.com/uti_exe/vga...urnerSetup.zip redirects me to https://www.msi.com/Landing/afterburner
https://download.msi.com/archive/vga...Win7_Vista.zip (7/23/2010 -- old!!).
Do I really want to use these?

If you're dependent on .NET 4.5, can't you
remove it and reinstall it. Or even go into
Programs and Features, select the line item
and select "Repair" from the three-choice menu.
Not all items have a "Repair", just the well
crafted ones do. Some items only offer "Remove".

I downloaded .NET v4.8, but that didn't fix it. I tried my downloaded
dotNetFx45_Full_setup.exe, but it wouldn't let me because I had a newer
version (v4.8). I only can repair and uninstall v4.8. Repair didn't help
so I uninstalled it. CCC still doesn't work. I retried v4.5 installation
with and without updates from Windows Update to retry CCC. It must be
something else.

I don't see any other versions in mu uninstall list. Programs and
Features only show v3.5.1. I have no idea what other softwares use .NET.
I just don't want to break them too.

Worse case scenarios: Live without CCC and reinstall W7.
--
ZzzZzz and so cold!
| |o o| |
Old January 29th 21, 10:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_28_]

Ant wrote:

Oh, I got netfx_setupverifier v6.0.3790 (7/31/2015) downloaded. Its
verification results said error code 0 for all of its detected versions:
2.0 SP2
3.0 SP2
3.5 SP1
4 Client
4 Full
4.5

I guess no v4.8 since it is newer.

So it's not really a damaged .net then.

Is that your conclusion ?

Have you checked Event Viewer for an application error ?

I don't know if you can start the control panel executable
from Command Prompt. And there's no guarantee that a
ge-broken executable would dump error codes to stdout
and print them in a Command Prompt screen.

That leaves checking eventvwr.msc (Event Viewer)
or looking for a .dmp file if the software
managed to start enough to have crashed.

Come on, you have the experience to fix this.
I know you do.

I suppose you've already reinstalled CCC. The video
card installers, unpack in places like C:\AMD
or C:\NVidia, places like that, and you might get
lucky and find the unpacked-and-ready-to-go
setup.exe in there to use. That's if you don't
see a "Repair" option in Programs and Features.

Use the Force, Luke.

Paul
Old January 29th 21, 10:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.windows7.general
Ant[_3_]

Ant wrote:

Oh, I got netfx_setupverifier v6.0.3790 (7/31/2015) downloaded. Its
verification results said error code 0 for all of its detected versions:
2.0 SP2
3.0 SP2
3.5 SP1
4 Client
4 Full
4.5

I guess no v4.8 since it is newer.

So it's not really a damaged .net then.

Is that your conclusion ?

Maybe? .NET checker said everything looked OK.

Have you checked Event Viewer for an application error ?

I can't find anything interesting except that ACEEventLog that I showed
in https://pastebin.com/raw/MBJP13hc in my original post.

I don't know if you can start the control panel executable
from Command Prompt. And there's no guarantee that a
ge-broken executable would dump error codes to stdout
and print them in a Command Prompt screen.

I ran C:\winstuff\ATItechnologies01272021reinstall\ATI.A CE\Core-Static\CCC.exe in my cmd.exe and didn't see any results. I decided to use WinDbg on that file:
Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633 AMD64

CommandLine: C:\winstuff\ATItechnologies01272021reinstall\ATI.A CE\Core-Static\CCC.exe
Symbol search path is: srv*c:\symbols*https://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
ModLoad: 00000000`013a0000 00000000`013ee000 CCC.exe
ModLoad: 00000000`77140000 00000000`772df000 ntdll.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`f4540000 000007fe`f45af000 C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\MSCOREE.DLL
ModLoad: 00000000`76f20000 00000000`7703f000 C:\Windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fcf20000 000007fe`fcf87000 C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
(1080.16a0): Break instruction exception - code 80000003 (first chance)
ntdll!LdrpDoDebuggerBreak+0x30:
00000000`771e6bb0 cc int 3
0:000 g
ModLoad: 000007fe`fd630000 000007fe`fd70b000 C:\Windows\system32\ADVAPI32.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fd3e0000 000007fe`fd47f000 C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fd610000 000007fe`fd62f000 C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\sechost.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`feb70000 000007fe`fec9c000 C:\Windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`f44a0000 000007fe`f4539000 C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ms coreei.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fd360000 000007fe`fd3d1000 C:\Windows\system32\SHLWAPI.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fe5d0000 000007fe`fe637000 C:\Windows\system32\GDI32.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`77040000 00000000`7713b000 C:\Windows\system32\USER32.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`ff420000 000007fe`ff42e000 C:\Windows\system32\LPK.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fe850000 000007fe`fe91b000 C:\Windows\system32\USP10.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fd710000 000007fe`fd73e000 C:\Windows\system32\IMM32.DLL
ModLoad: 000007fe`fd050000 000007fe`fd15b000 C:\Windows\system32\MSCTF.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`f3380000 000007fe`f3d20000 C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\ms corwks.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`70db0000 00000000`70e79000 C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b 9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_88e41e092fab0294\MSV CR80.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fd740000 000007fe`fe4cb000 C:\Windows\system32\shell32.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fd160000 000007fe`fd35f000 C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fcca0000 000007fe`fccaf000 C:\Windows\system32\profapi.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`f2490000 000007fe`f3373000 C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\msc orlib\a37aa1fd12c003defc44c985d1e8240f\mscorlib.ni .dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fcaf0000 000007fe`fcaff000 C:\Windows\system32\CRYPTBASE.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fb230000 000007fe`fb286000 C:\Windows\system32\uxtheme.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fc5b0000 000007fe`fc5c8000 C:\Windows\system32\CRYPTSP.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fc0e0000 000007fe`fc127000 C:\Windows\system32\rsaenh.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`f4310000 000007fe`f4493000 C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\ms corjit.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`f10a0000 000007fe`f1ad5000 C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\Sys tem\2ffac68e02feb820e905505742b7fb62\System.ni.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`f3e20000 000007fe`f4059000 C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\Sys tem.Drawing\736dd4ae46177248778ec42f05dbb9fc\Syste m.Drawing.ni.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`f0000000 000007fe`f1099000 C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\Sys tem.Windows.Forms\ce5087d4126d9d10eac1b20140b20815 \System.Windows.Forms.ni.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`748d0000 00000000`748dc000 CCC.Implementation.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`00370000 00000000`0037c000 CCC.Implementation.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fcbe0000 000007fe`fcbf4000 C:\Windows\system32\RpcRtRemote.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`748d0000 00000000`748dc000 C:\winstuff\ATItechnologies01272021reinstall\ATI.A CE\Core-Static\CCC.Implementation.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`749e0000 00000000`749ee000 LOG.Foundation.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`00390000 00000000`0039e000 LOG.Foundation.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`749e0000 00000000`749ee000 C:\winstuff\ATItechnologies01272021reinstall\ATI.A CE\Core-Static\LOG.Foundation.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`749f0000 00000000`749f8000 MOM.Foundation.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`003a0000 00000000`003a8000 MOM.Foundation.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`749f0000 00000000`749f8000 C:\winstuff\ATItechnologies01272021reinstall\ATI.A CE\Core-Static\MOM.Foundation.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`73ab0000 00000000`73ac2000 image00000000`73ab0000
ModLoad: 00000000`003b0000 00000000`003c2000 image00000000`003b0000
ModLoad: 00000000`73ab0000 00000000`73ac2000 C:\winstuff\ATItechnologies01272021reinstall\ATI.A CE\Core-Static\CLI.Foundation.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`749a0000 00000000`749a8000 image00000000`749a0000
ModLoad: 00000000`00430000 00000000`00438000 image00000000`00430000
ModLoad: 00000000`749a0000 00000000`749a8000 C:\winstuff\ATItechnologies01272021reinstall\ATI.A CE\Core-Static\LOG.Foundation.Implementation.Private.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`70fc0000 00000000`70fd2000 LOG.Foundation.Implementation.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`00480000 00000000`00492000 LOG.Foundation.Implementation.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`70fc0000 00000000`70fd2000 C:\winstuff\ATItechnologies01272021reinstall\ATI.A CE\Core-Static\LOG.Foundation.Implementation.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`e9b80000 000007fe`e9c7f000 C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_64\Sys tem.Runtime.Remo#\1be7114ab11d33bdc56f6be1c6f2373a \System.Runtime.Remoting.ni.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`71a80000 00000000`71a8c000 LOG.Foundation.Private.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`00380000 00000000`0038c000 LOG.Foundation.Private.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`71a80000 00000000`71a8c000 C:\winstuff\ATItechnologies01272021reinstall\ATI.A CE\Core-Static\LOG.Foundation.Private.dll
(1080.16a0): CLR exception - code e0434f4d (first chance)
ModLoad: 000007fe`fb500000 000007fe`fb507000 C:\Windows\system32\shfolder.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fae60000 000007fe`fae78000 C:\Windows\system32\dwmapi.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`70fe0000 00000000`70ffe000 MOM.Implementation.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`004e0000 00000000`004fe000 MOM.Implementation.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`70fe0000 00000000`70ffe000 C:\winstuff\ATItechnologies01272021reinstall\ATI.A CE\Core-Static\MOM.Implementation.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fb3d0000 000007fe`fb4fc000 C:\Windows\system32\PROPSYS.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fe920000 000007fe`fe9fb000 C:\Windows\system32\OLEAUT32.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fb690000 000007fe`fb885000 C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.24483_none_e372 d88f30fbb845\comctl32.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fca90000 000007fe`fcae7000 C:\Windows\system32\apphelp.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fe4d0000 000007fe`fe569000 C:\Windows\system32\CLBCatQ.DLL
ModLoad: 000007fe`ecb10000 000007fe`ed9d2000 C:\Windows\System32\ieframe.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fce60000 000007fe`fce65000 C:\Windows\system32\api-ms-win-downlevel-advapi32-l1-1-0.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fcfa0000 000007fe`fcfa4000 C:\Windows\system32\api-ms-win-downlevel-shlwapi-l1-1-0.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fcf10000 000007fe`fcf14000 C:\Windows\system32\api-ms-win-downlevel-user32-l1-1-0.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`f1b00000 000007fe`f1b04000 C:\Windows\System32\api-ms-win-downlevel-shell32-l1-1-0.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fcee0000 000007fe`fcee4000 C:\Windows\system32\api-ms-win-downlevel-version-l1-1-0.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fbd50000 000007fe`fbd5c000 C:\Windows\system32\version.DLL
ModLoad: 000007fe`fcf90000 000007fe`fcf93000 C:\Windows\system32\api-ms-win-downlevel-normaliz-l1-1-0.dll
ModLoad: 00000000`772e0000 00000000`772e3000 C:\Windows\system32\normaliz.DLL
ModLoad: 000007fe`ff150000 000007fe`ff41c000 C:\Windows\system32\iertutil.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fce70000 000007fe`fce8f000 C:\Windows\system32\USERENV.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`f83d0000 000007fe`f8441000 C:\Windows\System32\WINHTTP.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`f8360000 000007fe`f83c5000 C:\Windows\System32\webio.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fe650000 000007fe`fe827000 C:\Windows\system32\SETUPAPI.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fce90000 000007fe`fcec6000 C:\Windows\system32\CFGMGR32.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fcef0000 000007fe`fcf0a000 C:\Windows\system32\DEVOBJ.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fabe0000 000007fe`fac0d000 C:\Windows\system32\ntmarta.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fe570000 000007fe`fe5c2000 C:\Windows\system32\WLDAP32.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fd480000 000007fe`fd60a000 C:\Windows\system32\urlmon.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fced0000 000007fe`fced4000 C:\Windows\system32\api-ms-win-downlevel-ole32-l1-1-0.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`feca0000 000007fe`ff14c000 C:\Windows\system32\WININET.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fc8a0000 000007fe`fc8ab000 C:\Windows\system32\Secur32.dll
ModLoad: 000007fe`fca60000 000007fe`fca85000 C:\Windows\system32\SSPICLI.DLL
ModLoad: 000007fe`f6e70000 000007fe`f6e74000 C:\Windows\system32\api-ms-win-downlevel-advapi32-l2-1-0.dll
ntdll!NtTerminateProcess+0xa:
00000000`771a9a6a c3 ret

No idea what all that mean. :/

That leaves checking eventvwr.msc (Event Viewer)
or looking for a .dmp file if the software
managed to start enough to have crashed.

I don't find any.

Come on, you have the experience to fix this.
I know you do.

Yeah, tedious but need to figure out where.

I suppose you've already reinstalled CCC. The video
card installers, unpack in places like C:\AMD
or C:\NVidia, places like that, and you might get
lucky and find the unpacked-and-ready-to-go
setup.exe in there to use. That's if you don't
see a "Repair" option in Programs and Features.

Yep, I already did repair, uninstall, reinstall, etc. as mentioned in my original post. No fix.
--
So tired, cold, and loco! Also, 2021 isn't any better.
| |o o| |
Old January 30th 21, 08:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_28_]

Ant wrote:

Oh, I got netfx_setupverifier v6.0.3790 (7/31/2015) downloaded. Its
verification results said error code 0 for all of its detected versions:
2.0 SP2
3.0 SP2
3.5 SP1
4 Client
4 Full
4.5

I guess no v4.8 since it is newer.

So it's not really a damaged .net then.

Is that your conclusion ?

Maybe? .NET checker said everything looked OK.

Have you checked Event Viewer for an application error ?

I can't find anything interesting except that ACEEventLog that I showed
in https://pastebin.com/raw/MBJP13hc in my original post.

Your problem is font related, to start with.

Something to check here.

https://faithlife.codes/blog/2009/11...f_application/

"We traced this to having an illegal path char
in one of the fonts listed in the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

registry key. To reproduce the problem, you can
simply edit one of those values on your own machine
and add a colon, pipe, or any other illegal path
character to one of the values. Now, any WPF application
on your system will crash as soon as it attempts
to display its first UI."

Paul
Old January 31st 21, 02:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_28_]

Ant wrote:
[...]

I don't see anything invalid? Just lots of fonts and some very old ones
from 1998?!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]
"Arial (TrueType)"="arial.ttf"

"Unispace-Bold (TrueType)"="unispace bd.ttf"

Directory of c:\windows\fonts

06/10/2009 12:43 PM 10,976 8514fix.fon

01/22/2002 03:22 PM 35,328 WINGDNG3.TTF

I might try debugging this with Process Monitor, just to see
if all the fonts in the font directory are being opened.

The list seems to be all local fonts stored in the canonical folder c:\windows\fonts .

I would think back to which font file was added last,
as that might well be the bad one.

There are WPF programs available in source form, which
display fonts. Since I happened to be installing VS2019 Community
anyway, this made an opportunity to import a .sln and
use the program to try it out. At first the program didn't
run, because Windows 10 didn't have optional .NET 3.5 installed,
but after I used Windows Features, it started to work.
It was the usual thing, with misleading error messages, leaving
you to guess at the root cause.

https://i.postimg.cc/VNSMVVX2/font-test-wpf.gif

Paul
Old January 31st 21, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.windows7.general
Ant[_3_]

Ant wrote:
[...]

Do you mean tracking ccc.exe process only? If so, then 2.4 MB
http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/ProcMon3.61cccEXE.7z (too much information
for me -- yikes).

There are WPF programs available in source form, which
display fonts. Since I happened to be installing VS2019 Community
anyway, this made an opportunity to import a .sln and
use the program to try it out. At first the program didn't
run, because Windows 10 didn't have optional .NET 3.5 installed,
but after I used Windows Features, it started to work.
It was the usual thing, with misleading error messages, leaving
you to guess at the root cause.

https://i.postimg.cc/VNSMVVX2/font-test-wpf.gif

I wonder if I can use these compiled WPF programs to try? I am not a
(cod/programm/develop)er. :/
--
So tired, cold, and loco! Also, 2021 isn't any better.
| |o o| |
\ _ /
( )

Epson 880 ink light refuses to go out Jan Alter Printers 9 October 13th 07 12:30 PM
MX400 refuses TV-out David Nvidia Videocards 1 July 18th 05 07:27 PM
PC refuses to boot Grumble General 16 November 1st 04 12:32 AM
PC refuses to boot Grumble Intel 16 November 1st 04 12:32 AM
TV WONDER USB refuses to work in XP Brian Ati Videocards 3 July 21st 04 06:22 AM