Absolute Horrible Day Today for my PC. Need desperate help.

Old August 26th 05, 03:51 AM
Shinnokxz

Default Absolute Horrible Day Today for my PC. Need desperate help.

Note: Sorry for the language, but I'm not in a good mood right now.

This adventure started when I was losing massive FPS in CS: Source and
World of Warcraft. After all the software tinkering I could think of, I
finally cracked open my PC to actually find that god damn fan on my
****ty MSI 6600 GT AGP had actually broken off and was half hanging
outside of the video card. Atleast I know why I was losing frames...

So while I cracked the PC open, I decided to re-paste my AMD 64 as the
thermal goop on it has aged some. I unlock the heatsink and tug... the
****ing heat sink comes off with the *cpu attatched*. I lose my mind
worrying about bending pins. I try to take the CPU off the bottom of
the heatsink but it's STUCK on there. I ask a friend and he says i
should warm up the heatsink and it should be easier to come off.

So I take a hair dryer on low and warm the thing up. The CPU finally
comes off. There was no noticable damage to neither the CPU now the
socket on the motherboard. I reseat the CPU, apply the goop, put the
heatsink back on.

So I come back to the video card. What to do? It obviously functioned
(it actually played Far Cry, UTK4 and Doom 3 well) without the fan
working, so I figured I'll go ahead and take the broken-ass fan and
motor off the heatsink and go ahead and use the VGA anyways, obviously
without doing anything 3D intensive.

I put the vdeio cardin without the fan, and the PC started beeping and
does not post. Oh ****. I immediately assumed I had screwed the pootch
on this processor. HOWEVER. I was releived to see that the D-bracket
got well past CPU initialization and was actually hanging on the one
with two solid Red, and a red on the bottom right. Looking this up, I
found that it means it's stuck on "Initializing Keyboard Controller".
WTF?

I tried putting the broken fan back into the VGA thinking the system
wasn't booting because it had detected no fan on the VGA. This did not
work. I tried an old GeForce 2. This did not work.

What the hell do I do? I did try plugging the keyboard in to no avail.
Please tell me I'm out of the zone of worrying about my processor.
Thanks.

Old August 26th 05, 05:05 AM
John

"Shinnokxz" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

I'd take the CPU out of the socket again and very carefully check for broken
or bent pins. Reapply some artic silver or a replacement thermal pad (if
you believe AMD's warnings) and reseat everything and all cables.

I had a P4 heatsink break away from the motherboard just recently. It took
the CPU with it, just as you described, and bent two pins on its way out. I
very carefully bent the pins back and had a hell of a time getting the CPU
to cleanly drop into the ZIF again. The pins snagged a few times but
finally fell in. No problems after that. Since you already reseated the
processor you'll want to keep an eye out for missing pins when you inspect
it. Sucks.

Anyway, hope it works again. Sounds like a nice system.

Old August 26th 05, 08:44 AM
jaster

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:51:34 -0700, Shinnokxz wrote:

[snip]
I tried putting the broken fan back into the VGA thinking the system
wasn't booting because it had detected no fan on the VGA. This did not
work. I tried an old GeForce 2. This did not work.

I read that a heat sink would work for the 6600 instead of the cheap fan.
It was a Tomshardwareguide on Guide for Buying Video cards.

What the hell do I do? I did try plugging the keyboard in to no avail.
Please tell me I'm out of the zone of worrying about my processor. Thanks.

Like John says, check for damage on the processor and the Zif socket.
The AMD 64 cpu chip should be protected by a full metal jacket, but you
might have a damaged pin or socket, applied too much goop to the metal
jacket.

LOL