mouse pointer freezes up

Old December 14th 03, 11:34 PM
Mr. Correct

Default mouse pointer freezes up

The PC has an ASUS A7V266 mobo and 1 GHz Athlon CPU, OS is Win98SE. The
mouse pointer freezes (a serial port mouse) and I have to reboot to get
going again. I had this problem with it before and found the solution after
much trial and error, but I don't remember what the fix was. I recently had
to rebuild this machine from scratch again, including resetting all CMOS and
PNP data. It works fine again except the mouse pointer always freezes up
after about 20 - 30 minutes. Troubleshooting it could take a very long
time. Does anyone here have any suggestions what I might try?

TIA. Bill S.

Old December 15th 03, 01:03 AM
Ben Pope

Mr. Correct wrote:
The PC has an ASUS A7V266 mobo and 1 GHz Athlon CPU, OS is Win98SE. The
mouse pointer freezes (a serial port mouse) and I have to reboot to get
going again. I had this problem with it before and found the solution
after much trial and error, but I don't remember what the fix was. I
recently had to rebuild this machine from scratch again, including
resetting all CMOS and PNP data. It works fine again except the mouse
pointer always freezes up after about 20 - 30 minutes. Troubleshooting
it could take a very long time. Does anyone here have any suggestions
what I might try?

I would suggest an IRQ conflict with a modem.

What serial port is your mouse plugged into?

What COM port does your modem connect to?

If they are both odd, or both even, then I think they are likely to use the
same IRQ (this seems to be the case in Win9x from memory).

Ben

Old December 15th 03, 06:54 AM
Jeff Labute

Have you tried a USB mouse?
Have you tried a second serial port?
Could be the mouse... WinXP is good at sharing IRQ's.

Old December 15th 03, 07:52 AM
Ben Pope

Mr. Correct wrote:
There is no modem. Only a USB/1394 adaptor card and a video card.

So is it the mouse freezing up, or the entire system?

When it freezes, can you change the caps lock/num lock status? Or do
Ctrl-Alt-Del?

Ben