ipod question before purchase

Old November 29th 06, 04:15 PM posted to misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

Default ipod question before purchase

Sorry if this is off topic but I know some of you must deal with
Ipods, hence I took a chance.....

I'm in the market for a 2nd gen Ipod nano and cover as a gift (for a
college student) but wonder if the leather covers made for the Nano
work also for the 2nd generation? The covers' packaging say nothing
with regard to the 2nd generation (actually one did but it looked
flimsy). Most of the covers were copyrighted 2005 before the 2nd
generation were sold.

I'd like to know all of this before I make the purchases to avoid
incovenience and returns. I purposely avoided asking the salespeople
because I wasn't sure they were going to tell me the truth.

Appreciate the help and if you have any advice, feel free to give it
since I'm new to mp3 players. I did do some research and decided on
the Nano due to size, # of accessories and popularity but there is
nothing like listening to experienced people grin.

Thanks in advance.

ps-- if there is a more appropriate newsgroup, please tell me and I'll
post there. thanks.
Old November 29th 06, 04:18 PM posted to misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

RnR wrote in message ...
[...]

I don't know, but would suspect not. The 1st Gen is a little larger and
more square. The 2nd gen is much more rounded.

Tom

Old November 29th 06, 04:35 PM posted to misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Notan

Tom Scales wrote:

RnR wrote in message ...
[...]

Have a look at http://support.apple.com/specs/ipod/ and

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...88#ipodshuffle.

Notan
Old November 29th 06, 06:36 PM posted to misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom2000

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:15:33 -0600, RnR wrote:

Sorry if this is off topic but I know some of you must deal with
Ipods, hence I took a chance.....

I'm in the market for a 2nd gen Ipod nano and cover as a gift (for a
college student) but wonder if the leather covers made for the Nano
work also for the 2nd generation? The covers' packaging say nothing
with regard to the 2nd generation (actually one did but it looked
flimsy). Most of the covers were copyrighted 2005 before the 2nd
generation were sold.

If the student isn't locked into the Mac and iTunes, take a peek at
the SanDisk Sansa E200 series. I just picked one up, and it's some
kind of wonderful.

Old November 30th 06, 08:34 PM posted to misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
FatKat

Tom2000 wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:15:33 -0600, RnR wrote:

Sorry if this is off topic but I know some of you must deal with
Ipods, hence I took a chance.....

I'm in the market for a 2nd gen Ipod nano and cover as a gift (for a
college student) but wonder if the leather covers made for the Nano
work also for the 2nd generation? The covers' packaging say nothing
with regard to the 2nd generation (actually one did but it looked
flimsy). Most of the covers were copyrighted 2005 before the 2nd
generation were sold.

If the student isn't locked into the Mac and iTunes, take a peek at
the SanDisk Sansa E200 series. I just picked one up, and it's some
kind of wonderful.

I'm, looking to get the E260 (or whatever the model number is for the
4gb Sansa). It looks sweet and it's cheaper than a similarly sized
iPod, but I hear that it's sound is conspicuously inferior. Have you
compared the two?

Old December 1st 06, 07:47 AM posted to misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom2000

On 30 Nov 2006 12:34:02 -0800, "FatKat" wrote:

If the student isn't locked into the Mac and iTunes, take a peek at
the SanDisk Sansa E200 series. I just picked one up, and it's some
kind of wonderful.

I'm, looking to get the E260 (or whatever the model number is for the
4gb Sansa). It looks sweet and it's cheaper than a similarly sized
iPod, but I hear that it's sound is conspicuously inferior. Have you
compared the two?

No, I haven't.

The sound is just fine to me, using the supplied earbuds, a Sony
folding in-ear headset, or my home Sennheisers.

I'm a jazz and classical listener, and like the precision and detail
the E250 provides. (I rip my CDs at 320 kbps, .mp3 format, using the
LAME encoder.)

There's a Custom EQ adjustment that I had to tune to my ears. But
once I did, I was very happy with the sound. It wasn't all that bad
using the Normal EQ setting, but fine-tuning it brought out the best
for me.

If you get the chance, try both of them. On each, adjust the
equalizers to your preferences.

Tom

Old December 1st 06, 03:11 PM posted to misc.consumers,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
SMS

Tom2000 wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:15:33 -0600, RnR wrote:

Sorry if this is off topic but I know some of you must deal with
Ipods, hence I took a chance.....

I'm in the market for a 2nd gen Ipod nano and cover as a gift (for a
college student) but wonder if the leather covers made for the Nano
work also for the 2nd generation? The covers' packaging say nothing
with regard to the 2nd generation (actually one did but it looked
flimsy). Most of the covers were copyrighted 2005 before the 2nd
generation were sold.

If the student isn't locked into the Mac and iTunes, take a peek at
the SanDisk Sansa E200 series. I just picked one up, and it's some
kind of wonderful.

Much better than the Nano, but some kids demand the iPod. The advantages
of the Sansa E series are the user-replaceable battery, the FM tuner,
and the memory expansion slot.

It's possible to play iTunes songs on the Sansa, but it's a pain to do
the conversion.