Please recommend a printer and printer type for everyday office use as well as heavy card

Old July 26th 06, 09:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default Please recommend a printer and printer type for everyday office use as well as heavy card

Searching reveals this is talked about a lot here. So much discussion
is a little confusing so I'd be grateful for some up-to-the-minute
advice and recommendations from people who've tried a few printers and
are happy with what they now use. Also for a little laser vs inkjet vs
anything else instruction.

We need to be able to print everyday stuff as well as, frequently, onto
heavier card (usually recycled matt finish) at 300 g/sm or heavier. If
things go well we'll be printing medium to large quantiies onto card.
We use Macintosh computers.

My guess is that we should consider a laser (but it is a guess). We've
always had relatively inexpensive inkjets and I am not completely clear
about the advantages and disadvantages regarding our current
requirements of injet over laser or another technology. I am also
guessing that we need a printer that has the option of straight-through
feed to help it handle the card. We don't need to go bigger than A4.
Ideally I'd be looking to spend no more than £300 - £500 (US$550 -
900). But since many printers seem very inexpensive compared to what
the used to be, perhaps we will have to spend much less. (Consumables
especially ink/toner prices is where the money seems to be made - so
running cost is an issue, too.)

Advice and recommendations will be much appreciated.

Old July 26th 06, 11:05 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

In message .com,
writes
Searching reveals this is talked about a lot here. So much discussion
is a little confusing so I'd be grateful for some up-to-the-minute
advice and recommendations from people who've tried a few printers and
are happy with what they now use. Also for a little laser vs inkjet vs
anything else instruction.

We need to be able to print everyday stuff as well as, frequently, onto
heavier card (usually recycled matt finish) at 300 g/sm or heavier. If
things go well we'll be printing medium to large quantiies onto card.
We use Macintosh computers.

What does 'medium to large' quantities mean?
10 a day? 100 a day? 1000 a day?

Is this going to be mono or colour?

I'm not sure there's too much in the laser category that can do this
thickness in the sub £500 range. Often they will go up to 105 gsm out
of a main input tray and might allow up to 165 (some seem to go to about
200/220 but I think thats about it) from a side tray that can only take
a few or maybe only one sheet manually fed at a time. Mine can go up to
256 gsm but it doesnt want more than 20 sheets at a time in the tray at
that thickness.

Somewhere or other on Xerox's UK site I found a thing for them to send
me some sample card and I have a pack of Colotech paper of varying
thicknesses 10 sheets of each, 90s, 160 gsm 220 and 300. I would have
thought the 220 would be thick enough for most things, about the only
thing I can think of that would need much more would probably be
business cards, but if you were getting into printing them properly I
would get a real printer that is up to that job.

--
Timothy
Old July 26th 06, 11:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

wrote:

What does 'medium to large' quantities mean?
10 a day? 100 a day? 1000 a day?

100 ish

Is this going to be mono or colour?

Mostly mono but colour sometimes

[...]

We are making craft kits that have cut-out templates on card. We would
need to be able to load up to 50 at a time to make it sustainable ie
not have to stand over the printer.

Grateful for you input so far.

Old July 26th 06, 12:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

In message .com,
writes
wrote:
[...]

Unless I'm missing something I'm not sure anyone's got an A4 machine
that can manage this. About the only thing I can come up with is a
Xante Illumina but that weighs in at about £5,000. There is a printer
only version of my machine which you can get for under £3,000 Bizhub
C250P.

This may be a case for a business inkjet. Hp's Business Inkjet range
goes up to 286 gsm I think. Ameiva.co.uk has both the A4 version 2300
and the A3 version at the same price £299 + VAT. However I _think_ these
may be restricted to single sheet feeding at the max thickness.

Ameiva is part of Printware (they're in Portsmouth), from whom I've
bought a machine in the past, give them a call see if they come up with
anything cunning. I would like to think I'd get something from them for
the recommendation but I won't, if you want a Konica Bizhub machine on
the other hand, I believe the company that provided me with that will
give me a bribe for any recommendations!

--
Timothy
Old July 26th 06, 01:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

Intersting. Can't stretch to the prices you mentioned in the thousands.
I'll look into the biz inkjet options. I'll be sure to mention you in
dispatches. Let me know how I should refer to you. send to
tempdotaddressatmacdotcomzzzzzzzyyyy removing the noise from the
address.

Old July 28th 06, 09:57 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

In message om,
writes

[...]

Funnily enough they phoned me up yesterday with an offer on a Xerox
Phaser machine. (Town & Village on the Isle of Wight)

--
Timothy

what brand printer paper would you recommend? bullseye Printers 4 November 7th 05 03:47 AM
On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Solution: printing directly to a networked printer JP Printers 0 February 15th 04 11:44 PM
Optra R networking JP Printers 1 February 15th 04 11:35 PM