A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Homebuilt PC's
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How to fix ?: Booting Windows 7 x64 from usb: STOP 0x0000007B

Old January 16th 20, 12:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default How to fix ?: Booting Windows 7 x64 from usb: STOP 0x0000007B

I am now very close to booting Windows 7 x64 from USB stick.

I use qemu-img and win32diskwriter to convert vmdk to img and then write it to usb stick.

I also used testdisk tool to discover what is on usb stick to make sure I don't overwrite the wrong one.

More about these tools and their links later.

However now I am facing a problem with this blue-screening of windows.

From what I can gather from google and such is that this error is caused by the following reason:

1. Windows boots from USB device initially.

2. Then it tries to load the kernel, the kernel unloads/rescans for usb devices.

3. Somehow this looses a connection with usb or somehow it can't load usb driver

and it blue screens.

Also somehow tools like rufus and wintousb fix this stop error ?!

I need to know how they fix this error so I can also write IMG files to usb sticks and run windows like that instead of performing installs to usb sticks, which probably also doesn't work for same reason or limitations in windows installer, windows does not install to usb stick under normal circumstances, plus updating safely in vmware or so or other vm operations is nice.

So now I need a way to fix this error stop 0x0000007b which also means no access to boot device or something.

I suspect I have to add some kind of usb driver to windows or maybe even the integrated windows iso I made, however re-installing windows would be a chore... so I need an option/fix to fix an existing windows 7 installation.

Also windows update for windows 7 might not be available for much longer, not sure when microsoft will seize support, officially it should have already ended, but maybe they going to make it a bit longer cause they just found a big NSA informed vunerability in crypt32.dll or something.

Kinda funny on the day they stop supporting windows 7 ?!

Was this perhaps a little hint from NSA that they want microsoft to continue supporting windows 7 for a little while longer ? Hmmm.

Meanwhile I am going to search google for a solution, cause this issue is all over the internet apperently, so I am hopefully of finding a fix... don't hestitate to post a fix though =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

P.S.: Having a portable windows 7 x64 would be quite cool and handy from time to time ! =D This is somewhat I definetly want in case a computer ****s up somehow.
Old January 16th 20, 01:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I found a nice tutorial, it seems to known what it's talking about, so I am going to try and follow it:

https://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/win7onusb

There are also tools already mentioned by Paul that claim they can also do some of it, might be worth investigating if tutorial above fails:

Apperently WinToUsb is not only for ISO's but also for VHD unfortunately not VMDK, but might be possible to convert to VHD, however I am not sure if VHD can support multi paritions properly, and windows does use at least two partitions.

Going to collect links for further future investigation down below:

Some unbuntu ionformation that may also apply to windows, has links to other tools like netbootin:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Some tool, claiming cloning capabilities:

https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-r...-from-usb.html

Some information about windows to go drivers, I am fuzzy about this:

https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/fa...ed-Drives.html

A thread about wintousb and some kind of issue he runs into:

https://www.easyuefi.com/forums/show...pid=316#pid316

From the tutorial above, some tool with scripts and such:

http://reboot.pro/topic/10126-nt-6x-...xternal-drive/

The wintousb tool mentioned by Paul, it does have a free version but also a payed version:

https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/

Fow now I am kinda done with these tools claiming to do all kinds of things with little success, first I will try the above tutorial to see if messing with windows will make it work.

Cause I already did the installation, conversion, burning to usb, just need to fix it, don't need to re-do all of that.

Something that would be working/compatible with vmware would be very nice.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old January 16th 20, 01:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I am also copy & pasting the text from the tutorial in case it goes offline, it seems quite ra

"
47 - How to install Windows Vista/7/SVR2K8 onto a USB drive (or any partition)
Shop Amazon - New Releases in Computer Accessories
Unique hits customisable counter

NT6_Fast_Installer.zip History:
2011-9-10 New version of NT6_Fast_Installer.zip available (fixes 'bootsect.exe not found' error).
2012-11-08 New version of NT6_Fast_Installer.zip available (bcdboot error Status = c000003a fixed if using an EFI Windows system to prepare the USB drive with - found by James Leyden - thanks James!).
2012-11-15 Revised to use either Win7 bcdboot or Win8 bcdboot.

RMPrepUSB Blog - please leave a comment or feedback on RMPrepUSB or this Tutorial (please mention Tutorial number).

Contents

1 Introduction
2 Aim
3 Equipment required:
4 Method
5 Booting the USB drive
6 Pagefile relocation (virtual memory)
7 ADDENDUM - Booting from a different system
8 Troubleshooting
9 Add USB 3.0 Drivers to an Offline Image by Using DISM
9.1 Adding Intel USB 3.0 drivers

PLEASE NOTE: I highly recommend Win8ToGo instead of running Windows 7 from a USB drive. To boot Windows 8 from USB - please see Tutorial #53. Win8ToGo is designed to run from a USB drive and supports USB 3.0 booting - it will be far more 'stable' than Win7ToGo.

Introduction

Please note: This tutorial enables you to prepare a USB drive so that you can boot directly to Windows 7 from the USB drive. So now you can try Windows 7 without needing to install it onto your internal hard disk! IT WILL ONLY WORK ON A USB 2.0 PORT (see instructions at the end of this page for instructions on how to add USB 3 drivers).

NEW! You might like to try WinToUSB which make it very easy to prepare a bootable USB drive containing Win7/8/10 To Go. For 'Removable' USB flash drives, be sure to choose the VHD option (for Win8/10) or it won't boot!

This tutorial does not make a Windows installer USB drive, it actually puts a copy of Windows 7 onto a USB drive and makes it bootable. When you have made it, you can boot from it as follows:

Connect the prepared external USB drive (hard disk or Flash drive) to the target system (use a USB 2.0 port NOT a USB 3.0 port!)
Switch on the system
Select the USB drive as the boot device in the BIOS boot menu
Now allow the system to boot to Windows 7 directly from the USB drive.

- it does not matter what is on the internal hard disk of the target system, even if the internal hard disk is broken/not working.

Alternate video here.

This tutorial as based on fujianabc's Reboot.pro forum post 'NT 6.x fast installer: install Win7 directly to USB external drive' and his excellent scripts (now with reg tweak by 'cdob' from reboot.pro -USBBoo****cher is no longer required). The instructions in that forum post #1 & #2 and some of the prompts in the installer.cmd file that fujianabc provides were however confusing and potentially dangerous (you could accidentally corrupt your system drive) - so I have slightly modified his script to make it clearer and easier to use. It also now automatically finds and uses the 3 files that are needed from the MS WAIK, so you don't need to manually copy them first.

The instructions below assume that you have a USB drive (USB Hard Disk - recommended, or USB Flash drive - slow!) and you want to install Windows 7 onto it using a Windows 7 install DVD (or ISO file) as the source. You can use any 32/64-bit mix - e.g. use a Windows 7 64-bit PC to install say Vista 32-bit OS from a Vista 32-bit installation DVD onto a USB drive, or use a Windows XP system to install Windows 7 64-bit onto a USB drive using this method. Note that some CPUs' (e.g. some netbook Atom 32-bit CPUs) won't run a 64-bit OS, so a 32-bit version of Windows 7 is usually best for these.

Note that there are some pitfalls with this Windows USB drive once you have successfully made it:

You will need to activate Windows using a valid Product Key (which will be locked to the hardware you booted it on) if you want a fully functional version of Windows for over 30 days
You cannot just plug the USB drive into another system. If you want to move it to another system (once you have booted it on one system) then you need to sysprep it (see ADDENDUM at the end of this page). This is because on first boot, a fresh copy of Windows will detect what hardware is on the system and install the correct drivers (including the drivers for the boot drive). If you try to boot that USB drive on another system without running Sysprep, you may just get a BSOD (0x0000007B blue screen of death error).
No drivers are included in the image if a plain Windows installation DVD is used as the source DVD. You will need to install drivers once Win7 is booting.
A USB Flash drive will be quite slow (1-2 hours!) to install and run Windows from, unless you use a fast USB 3 Flash drive, such as BUSBI Boost USB 3 (even on a USB 2 port, USB 3 Flash drives are usually faster than USB 2 drives, but not, of course, as fast as a standard USB hard drive or USB 3 drives on USB 3 ports). I highly recommend you use a USB hard drive or a USB 3 Flash drive.
Windows 7 does not contain many USB 3 compatible drivers - so if you try to boot from a USB 3.0 port it will probably crash!

Alternatively - using this method, you could remove an internal hard drive from a system, connect it to your main PC (either directly or using a USB drive caddy), format it and install Windows onto it using the Installer.cmd script in the tutorial, and then put the hard drive back into the original system (or a different system) and boot it.

The procedure below works and has been tested using an ISO of the RTM/Gold version of Windows 7 and the SP1 version of Windows 7.
Aim
To install a bootable Windows 7 (or Vista or Win2K8) OS onto an external USB drive.
You need to follow this tutorial using a Windows PC (or possibly by booting to WinPE v2 or v3).
The Windows files are taken from a source installation DVD or a mounted ISO file. If you do not have a Windows 7 source DVD, you can download an ISO file (see External Links page)
Equipment required:

A USB hard drive of at least 10GB NTFS formatted (which may be wiped during this process). A Flash drive can be used but it will be slow!
The whole Microsoft WAIK for Windows 7 installed (or at least the files bootsect.exe, bcdboot.exe and imagex.exe) or see Tutorial #83 for a method of obtaining these files in about 30 seconds without needing to download and install the whole WAIK (Note: Download the Windows 8 WAIK files, the Win 7 WAIK download does not contain bootsect.exe).
The NT6_Fast_Installer.zip download from the Downloads page
A Windows 7 installation DVD (or ISO file which you can mount as a drive letter) - see here to download a copy of Windows 7.
(optional) RMPrepUSB to partition the USB hard drive

The system you use is assumed to be a Windows 7 system, although if you install the WAIK, these instructions should work on an XP system or later OS.
Method
1.You need to have a source DVD or a mounted ISO file (mounted as a drive letter). If you only have an ISO file, you can use SlySoft Virtual Clone Drive or ImDisk or any similar software to mount the ISO as a drive volume - e..g. O:. This allows the script to access the files within the ISO file as a drive letter.

2. You may need to partition and format the target USB disk using RMPrepUSB if it is not already formatted as NTFS. Even if it is formatted as NTFS, ensure the partition is 'Active' to make it bootable ('Mark partition as Active' in Windows Disk Manager). It is better and easier to re-format the drive using RMPrepUSB as shown below.

Note: Windows 7 MUST see an Active partition when it first boots - otherwise you will receive a "starting system services" - "Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware" error message. Subsequent boots do not seem to need an Active partition present, but on first boot Win7 does! If you try to boot Win7 without an active partition and then reboot it after setting the partition active, it may not work (i.e. it is broken!)

IMPORTANT: The USB disk volume must be formatted as NTFS and must be allocated a drive letter by Windows.

Set RMPrepUSB settings 1 to 5, then click 6 Prepare Drive.
If it fails to format, click on 6 Prepare Drive again.

3. Download NT6_Fast_Installer.zip (works for Win7 RTM/Gold and Win 7 SP1) from the Downloads page and extract the contents to an empty folder on your PC's hard drive - let us say you cretae a new folder on the hard disk is called C:\NT6Inst for the sake of this Tutorial.

4. Download and install the Microsoft Windows 8 WAIK files.
If you don't want to install the WAIK, you will need to manually copy the correct versions of bootsect.exe, imagex.exe and bcdboot.exe (bcdboot.exe is already in Win7) to the C:\NT6Inst folder.
See Tutorial #83 for a method of obtaining these files in about 30 seconds without needing to download and install the whole WAIK. Download the files from the Windows 8 WAIK and copy them to the C:\NT6Inst folder. If you are running on a 64-bit version of Windows (not installing, but actually using a 64-bit version of Windows to prepare the drive) then use the amd64 versions, if you are using a 32-bit version of Windows then use the x86 versions of the tools.

If you are unable to use the GetWaikTools utility, you can also download the imagex/bootsect/bcdboot utilities from the MS download here.

If you already have the Windows 7 or Windows 8 WAIK installed, the 3 files needed will be found and automatically copied to your C:\NT6Inst when you run the Installer.cmd script.

5. Right-click on the file C:\NT6Inst\INSTALLER.cmd and choose Run as Administrator. If any files are missing you will be informed.

6. You should now see a green window with some text. Hit Enter and the Enter again.

7. Now find the Install.wim file on your Windows installation DVD (or mounted ISO volume) - double-click to select it:

8. You will now be presented with a list of different Editions - these were all within the Install.wim file that you selected, choose the one you want to install (remember that you will need an activation key which matches the version you choose, if you want to activate Windows).

9. Now you will be asked to select the target USB hard disk that you want to install Windows onto:

Note: If the USB disk has files on it, the script will try to format it for you, you will need to enter in the volume name to confirm this.

10. Now enter in the same USB drive letter again for the boot partition (use the same USB drive letter again):

11. You will now be asked if the disk is a USB disk - answer Y.
If however, you intend to disconnect the drive and put the drive inside another system (e.g. notebook) before you boot from it, then say No to this question.

12. Unless you have a Vista or Server 2k8 source DVD, you will be asked what drive letter you want Windows to use when it boots from the USB drive. Use the default by hitting Enter.

13. You will now be presented with a final summary screen - hit Enter to start the installation and wait a while.

Check this carefully before you hit Enter!
Note that the Target Drive letters should be the same if your USB drive only has one partition.

Installation completes in just 7 minutes for a USB 3.0 Hard Disk install

Booting the USB drive
Now use the Windows Safely Remove USB Device System Tray icon to dismount the USB drive and then try it on a system to see if it boots!
Don't forget that once you have booted the image on one system, it will probably crash if booted on a different system because the correct drivers for the first system will already be installed on the previous boot.
Once Win7 is running, you will also need to add the correct third-party drivers to get all the hardware working correctly.
To speed up the Windows installation, once booted from the USB drive and in Windows, go to Device Manager and select Disk Drive and double-click on it.. Then select the Policies tab and enable the Better Performance (Enable write caching) option.

WARNING: If you have installed the 'Gold RTM' first version of Windows, do not update the version with a Service Pack update (SP1) as this could break the installation - instead re-install using the SP1 ISO/DVD. Normal hotfixes and updates will be OK though.
Pagefile relocation (virtual memory)
If Windows runs out of system memory (RAM) then it normally 'pages' chunks of unused memory to a special file called a pagefile (\pagefile.sys). This means that you can run applications that require say 6GB of memory on a 4GB system.
If you boot Windows 7 from a USB disk on a system that also has a working internal fixed hard disk, then Windows will automatically create and use a pagefile.sys file (a pagefile) on the system's internal hard drive partition.. However, this will prevent you from formatting or re-partitioning the internal hard drive (if you wanted to) because the volume containing the pagefile.sys file will always be held 'open' by Windows.
If you boot from a USB Flash drive on a system that does not have an internal Hard disk, Windows will warn you that it cannot create a pagefile - Windows will not create a pagefile on a 'removable' disk.
If you wish to make Windows create the page file on your USB hard drive instead of the internal hard disk in your system, follow the instructions on reboot.pro by karyonix here (and here for the latest 32/64 bit version of diskmod and registry entries). Note that you should NOT use a pagefile on a USB Flash drive as it will be even slower and will also wear out the Flash memory.

ADDENDUM - Booting from a different system
If you want to connect the USB drive to a different system, you may need to sysprep the drive - otherwise it may crash on boot and also could prevent it from booting on the original system again too (changes/corrupts boot files and registry)!

A Sysprep cmd file should be already present on the Windows Desktop, once the system has booted from the USB drive - if you right-click on this and Run as Administrator it will reset and shutdown the system. You can then boot the USB drive on a different system that has different hardware. This sysprep command should run from an administrator command prompt and uses the command: \Windows\System32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown

Once the computer shuts down, you can boot the USB drive on a different system which has different hardware. If you want to move it to another system again or back to the first system, don't forget to run Sysprep again before you move it!

Troubleshooting
If the BCDBOOT command fails with a [0xC000003a] error Warning: Resource files missing ... then you probably are running the Installed.cmd script on a Windows system that has booted from a UEFI BIOS instead of an MBR BIOS. In this case download bcdboot.exe from the Windows 8 WAIK and replace the version in your C:\NT6Inst folder with the Windows 8 version and run Installer..cmd again.

If you are using a USB HDD drive and Windows 7 boots and shows a 'Performance Options' form, this is due to having no page file. Windows will not create a page file on a removable drive. If you have no internal disk available, you can create a page file on the USB drive using this fix - see http://reboot.pro/9461/#entry86619.

"Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware" - Ensure on first boot, there is a partition marked as Active.

Add USB 3.0 Drivers to an Offline Image by Using DISM
Check this post here and here for instructions.

I have not tetsed the following instructions and so I cannot vouch that they will work!

Note: You will need to download and install the Windows 7 or 8 WAIK onto your 'office' computer first before you can run DISM.

Before you run Installer.cmd to make the USB drive, you first need to add the USB 3 drivers to the \sources\install.wim file.

First extract the install.wim file from the Windows 7 install ISO onto your hard disk so that it can be modified.

It is suggested that you disable your antivirus software and close all Explorer windows now.

At an elevated (Run as Administrator) command prompt, navigate to the Windows OEM Preinstallation Kit (Windows OPK) servicing folder, and type the following command to retrieve the name or index number for the image you want to modify.

Dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:C:\test\images\install.wim

An index or name value is required for most operations that specify a WIM file.

Type the following command to mount the offline Windows image contained in the install.wim file (change the name value to exactly the name of the version you intend to use, as listed).

Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:K:\Sources\install.wim /Name:"Windows 7 xxxx" /MountDir:C:\test\offline

Instead of using /Name:"xxx" you can use for instance /Index:2 (for image number 2)

At a command prompt, type the following command to add a specific driver to the image. You will need to have the correct USB 3.0 Windows 7 driver files available for the intended target system(s).

Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\drivers\myUSB3driver.INF

Multiple drivers can be added on one command line if you specify a folder instead of an .inf file. To install all of the drivers in a folder and all its subfolders use the /recurse option. For example,

Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Add-Driver /Driver:c:\drivers\USB3drivers /Recurse

To install an unsigned driver, use /ForceUnsigned to override the requirement that drivers installed on X64-based computers must have a digital signature. For example,

Dism /Image:C:\test\offline /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\drivers\mydriver.INF /ForceUnsigned

Review the contents of the Windows\Inf\ directory in the mounted Windows image to ensure that the .inf files were installed using Windows Explorer. Drivers added to the Windows image are named Oem*.inf. This is to ensure unique naming for new drivers added to the computer. For example, the files MyDriver1.inf and MyDriver2.inf are renamed Oem0.inf and Oem1.inf.

At a command prompt, type the following command to commit the changes and unmount the image.

Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\test\offline /Commit

Now run the Installer.cmd to install Windows 7 to your USB device.
Adding Intel USB 3.0 drivers
I received this email from L. Douglas:

I followed the steps at the end of your tutorial and was able to get the Intel USB 3.0 drivers added in to my install.wim image.

One word of caution: Disable antivirus during this process. It blocked Dism from making the changes it needed to do.

I then was able to install to the USB HDD and it booted fine from USB 2.0 port. Unfortunately, Trying to boot from USB 3.0 port would still bluescreen..

I went into the registry after booting from USB 2.0 and changed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - ControlSet001 - services - iusb3hub

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - ControlSet001 - services - iusb3xhc

for both of those entries, I changed "Start" to "0" and "Group" to "Boot Bus Extender"

This will vary based on the USB3 driver in use, but this worked for the Intel USB3 drivers.

Also see reboot.pro and here.
"

Bye,
Skybuck
Old January 16th 20, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

OK, I read the tutorial, skipped over some sections like the WAIK (automated installation) and such.

This tutorial seems to be mostly about modifieing or augmenting ISO/CD's and installing Windows from ISO/CD/DVD.

This is not what I want, I also watch the youtube video and it's about the same thing. This tutorial might still be usefull as a last resort.

However inspecting the cmd files and such and reading the tutorial did come up with something interesting how this is slightly done when booting on other computers, something called "sysprep" a build in command in windows:

There is a Microsoft website about it, the command used is in the cmd file is:

%SystemRoot%\System32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...s-installation

I will read up further about this, in short this prepares windows for running on another computer, removes device setup, keeps device drivers.

It seems also aimed at virtualizing windows somewhat.

It also mentions this can only be done 8 times.

I will try out this command in VMWare image copy of windows and then burn it back to usb to see if this fixes anything.

I think not but it might be worth a shot.

But first I will read the other commands to see if there is anything else usefull in there.

Somewhat rufus and wintousb get this working and I want to know how they make this working.

Maybe it's just a simply sysprep, but maybe there is more involved.

Text from sysprep website:

"
Sysprep (Generalize) a Windows installation

05/02/2017
4 minutes to read
+2

To deploy a Windows image to different PCs, you have to first generalize the image to remove computer-specific information such as installed drivers and the computer security identifier (SID). You can either use Sysprep by itself or Sysprep with an unattend answer file to generalize your image and make it ready for deployment.
Generalize a Windows installation

When you generalize a Windows image, Windows Setup processes settings in the generalize configuration pass. Even if you're capturing an image that's going to be deployed to a PC with similar hardware, you still have to generalize the Windows installation to remove unique PC-specific information from a Windows installation, which allows you to safely reuse your image.

When you generalize an image, Windows replaces the computer SID only on the operating system volume where you ran Sysprep. If a single computer has multiple operating systems, you must run Sysprep on each image individually.

If you're generalizing a Windows Server installation that has Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service (RADIUS) clients or remote RADIUS server groups defined in the Network Policy Server (NPS) configuration, you should remove this information before you deploy it to a different computer. For more information, see Prepare a Network Policy Server (NPS) for Imaging.
Prevent Sysprep from removing installed devices

When you set up a Windows PC, Windows Setup configures all detected devices.. Generalizing a Windows installation uninstalls configured devices, but does not remove device drivers from the PC.

If you're deploying an image to computers that have identical hardware and devices as the original PC, you can keep devices installed on the computer during system generalization by using an unattend file with Microsoft-Windows-PnPSysprep | PersistAllDeviceInstalls set to true. For more information about Sysprep-related Windows unattend components, see the Unattended Windows Setup Reference for Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep.
Limits on how many times you can run Sysprep

You can run the Sysprep command up to 8 times on a single Windows image. After running Sysprep 8 times, you must recreate your Windows image. In previous versions of Windows, you could use the SkipRearm answer file setting to reset the Windows Product Activation clock when running Sysprep. If you are using a volume licensing key or a retail product key, you don't have to use SkipRearm because Windows is automatically activated.
Microsoft Store apps

Installing new Microsoft Store apps or updating your existing Microsoft Store apps before generalizing a Windows image will cause Sysprep to fail. Sysprep /generalize requires that all apps are provisioned for all users; however, when you update an app from the Microsoft Store, that app becomes tied to the logged in user account. The following error appears in the Sysprep log files (located at %WINDIR%\System32\Sysprep\Panther):

package name was installed for a user, but not provisioned for all users. This package will not function properly in the sysprep image.

Instead of using the Microsoft Store to update your apps, you should sideload updates to your line-of-business apps, provision offline-licensed Microsoft Store for Business apps for all users, or have end-users update their apps by using the Microsoft Store on their destination PCs. If Microsoft Store access in a managed environment is disabled by an IT administrator, end-users will not be able to update the Microsoft Store apps.

For more information about sideloading line-of-business Microsoft Store apps, see Sideload Apps with DISM and Customize the Start Screen.
Generalize an image
Generalize from Audit Mode

To generalize an image, you have to first boot into Audit Mode. You can boot into Audit Mode using an unattend file or from the Out-Of-Box Experience (OOBE) screen. You can read about the different ways of booting into Audit Mode at Boot Windows to Audit Mode or OOBE.

Boot a PC into Audit Mode. When Windows boots into Audit Mode, System Preparation Tool will appear on the desktop. You can choose to either close the System Preparation Tool window or allow it to remain open.

Customize Windows by adding drivers, changing settings, and installing programs. Do not install any Microsoft Store apps using the Microsoft Store..

Run Sysprep.

If the System Preparation Tool window is still open, click Generalize, click Shutdown, and then click OK to generalize the image and shut down the PC.

-or-

Use Sysprep from Command Prompt. Run %WINDIR%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe to open the System Preparation Window. You can also use the Sysprep command together with the /generalize, /shutdown, and /oobe options. See Sysprep command-line options to see available options.

%WINDIR%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /shutdown /oobe

Note

If you are generalizing a VHD that will be deployed as a VHD on the same virtual machine or hypervisor, use the /mode:vm option with the Sysprep command-line.

The computer generalizes the image and shuts down.

After the computer shuts down, capture your image with DISM.

Deploy this image to a reference computer. When the reference computer boots, it displays the OOBE screen.

Generalize using unattend

If you use multiple unattend files during your computer deployment, you can add the following settings to your each of your unattend files so Windows Setup will generalize the PC after processing the unattend file.

To automatically generalize the image and shut down, use the Microsoft-Windows-Deployment | Generalize setting. Set Mode to OOBE or Audit, and set ForceShutdownNow to true.

-or-

To generalize the system, and have it boot into Audit Mode, use the Microsoft-Windows-Deployment | Reseal setting to the oobeSystem configuration pass. Set Mode to Audit.
"

Bye for now,
Skybuck.
Old January 16th 20, 01:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Oh there is one more webpage involved:

Booting windows in audit mode, it might be necessary to do so for sysprep, not sure yet, probably though cause it was on command line:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...t-mode-or-oobe

"
Boot Windows to Audit Mode or OOBE

05/02/2017
5 minutes to read
+1

You can use audit mode to customize your computer, add applications and device drivers, and test your computer in a Windows environment. Booting to audit mode starts the computer in the built-in administrator account. Windows® removes this account automatically during the generalize configuration pass. After you configure a computer to boot to audit mode, the computer will continue to boot to audit mode by default until you configure the computer to boot to Out-Of-Box Experience (OOBE) when the computer ships to the user.

If a password-protected screen saver starts when you are in audit mode, you cannot log back on to the system. The built-in administrator account that is used to log on to audit mode is immediately disabled after logon. To disable the screen saver, either change the power plan through Windows Control Panel or configure and deploy a custom plan. For more information, see Create a Custom Power Plan.
Boot to audit mode automatically on a new installation

To configure Windows to boot to audit mode, add the Microsoft-Windows-Deployment | Reseal | Mode = audit answer file setting.

When Windows completes the installation process, the computer boots into audit mode automatically, and the System Preparation (Sysprep) Tool appears. For more information about using the Sysprep tool in audit mode, see Sysprep (Generalize) a Windows installation.

Note Settings in an answer file from the oobeSystem configuration pass do not appear in audit mode. For more information about which answer file settings are processed when you boot to audit mode or OOBE, see How Configuration Passes Work.

Boot to audit mode manually (on a new or existing installation)

At the OOBE screen, press CTRL+SHIFT+F3.

Windows reboots the computer into audit mode, and the System Preparation (Sysprep) Tool appears.

Note The CTRL+SHIFT+F3 keyboard shortcut does not bypass all parts of the OOBE process, such as running scripts and applying answer file settings in the oobeSystem configuration pass.

Boot to OOBE automatically on a new installation

To configure Windows to boot to OOBE, add the Microsoft-Windows-Deployment | Reseal | Mode = oobe answer file setting.

If you have configured your Windows image to boot to OOBE, but then you need to make further configurations to your image in audit mode, see Modify an existing image that is configured to boot to OOBE.

Modify an existing image that is configured to boot to OOBE

If you have configured your Windows image to boot to OOBE, but then need to make further configurations to your image in audit mode, you can do one of the following:

Use the CTRL+SHIFT+F3 keyboard shortcut. The computer will reboot into audit mode.

This option may trigger any scripts that you have configured to launch in OOBE.

-or-

Mount the image, add an answer file with the audit setting, and save it as C:\test\offline\Windows\Panther\Unattend\Unattend. xml. This may require overwriting an existing answer file at this location.

On the next boot, Windows will boot directly into audit mode.

Boot to audit mode automatically from an existing image

Create a new answer file, and then add the Microsoft-Windows-Deployment | Reseal | Mode = audit setting. Save the answer file as Unattend.xml.

At an elevated command prompt, mount the Windows image. For example:

Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:C:\test\images\MyImage.wim /index:image_index /MountDir:C:\test\offline

where image_index is the number of the selected image on the .wim file.

Copy the new answer file to the C:\test\offline\Windows\Panther\Unattend folder.

Commit the changes, and then unmount the image. For example:

Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:C:\test\offline /commit

When the image is applied to the destination computer and Windows is booted, the computer boots into audit mode automatically, and the Sysprep tool appears. For sample procedures, see Step 1: Transfer an image to a different computer and Step 2: Prepare the computer for a customer in Deployment examples.

Options for applying an image also include using answer file settings, such as specifying the image to install and the disk configurations to make on the destination computer. For more information, see the Unattended Windows Setup Reference Guide.
Deployment examples

To transfer an image to a different computer, you must first remove the computer-specific information from the configured computer by generalizing the image with the Sysprep tool. To prepare a computer for the customer, you must generalize the computer, and then set it to boot to OOBE when a customer starts the computer for the first time. In the following examples we create and transfer a reference image to a different computer, and then create a model-specific image that ships to a customer.

Step 1: Transfer an image to a different computer

Install Windows on a reference computer.

After the installation is complete, boot the computer and install any additional device drivers or applications.

After you update the Windows installation, run Sysprep:

At the command line, run the Sysprep /generalize /shutdown command.

-or-

In the System Preparation Tool window, select the Generalize check box under the System Cleanup Action box on the Shutdown Options box, select Shutdown, and then click OK.

Sysprep removes system-specific data from the Windows installation. System-specific information includes event logs, unique security IDs (SIDs), and other unique information. After Sysprep removes the unique system information, the computer shuts down.

After the computer shuts down, insert the Windows PE USB flash drive or other bootable media, and reboot into Windows PE.

In the Windows PE session, capture the reference image by using the Dism /capture-image command.

Proceed to the next step to create a model-specific reference image.

Step 2: Prepare the computer for a customer

Install the reference image you created in Step 1 that is destined for your customer.

After you update the Windows installation, at the command line run the Sysprep /audit /generalize /shutdown command to configure Windows to boot the computer to audit mode. You can then capture the Windows image by booting to another partition or by using Windows PE.

Use the new model-specific reference image to install Windows on a new computer. The Windows image is applied to the computer, and Windows boots to audit mode.

(Optional) You can install additional applications and other updates based on a customer's order. You can also test the computer to verify that all components are working correctly.

After you update the Windows installation, run the Sysprep /oobe /shutdown command.

Note If you install Windows images by using the Sysprep /generalize /oobe command, the user experience will not be ideal. On the next reboot after you run the Sysprep /generalize /oobe command, Windows runs the specialize configuration pass, Plug and Play, and other Setup tasks before Windows starts OOBE. This process can take additional time and can delay a customer's first logon.

Package and deliver the computer to your customer.

When the customer starts the computer, OOBE runs.
"

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old January 16th 20, 02:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I thought about it some more and it don't make sense, more is involved, cause windows 7 boots, then disables usb and loses connection, investigating into the cmd files I found some more commands are used, this one looked interesting:

rem http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ded.1001).aspx
rem Deploying Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 on USB Flash Drive
rem http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
reg.exe add %Control%\PnP /f /v PollBootPartitionTimeout /t REG_DWORD /d 30000
rem Loads VHD, SD, and USB boot drivers.
reg.exe add %Control% /f /v BootDriverFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 0x6

Googling the bottom command leads to this page:

https://superuser.com/questions/1411...on-a-usb-stick

The guy writes the following, in short:

Windows 7 did have build-in windows to go but was never activated, these commands seem to active it, his original post:

Also contains links to tools that also might help.

"

This question is similar to Can I install Windows OS (Windows 7) on a removable USB hard drive?

With Windows 7 SP1, there is an easier way to install Windows 7 to a USB Hard Disk or USB Flash Drive.

This was discovered by cdob at Reboot http://reboot.pro/topic/14186-usb-hd...-sp1/?p=127587

It boils down to two registry keys, which i think are present in Windows 8 to enable Windows To Go feature. I guess this feature was present in Windows 7, but was never activated.

reg.exe add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control /f /v BootDriverFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 0x6 reg.exe add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\PnP /f /v PollBootPartitionTimeout /t REG_DWORD /d 15000

You can install Windows 7 to a USB Hard Disk or Flash Drive using a Tool called WinNTSetup which I have mentioned here Is there an equivalent to Windows To Go for personal use? This tool uses the above registry settings to enable Windows To Go in Windows 7

This tool is easy to use and you quickly install Windows 7 your USB Hard Disk. This tool also allows to create VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) on your USB Drive and install Windows 7 to the VHD on the USB Drive.

This installation will be persistent.

More information in the below links.

http://agnipulse.com/2012/11/windows...s-windows-7-8/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/149612-winntsetup-v306/
"

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old January 16th 20, 05:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The following solution below fixes the stop 0x0000007b usb boot problem for windows 7:

It basically enables usb drivers during boot process:

Save the text below starting from " to a file called set_7_usb_boot.cmd:

Then run it on the non-running windows installation to be fixed for usb boot problem:

set_7_usb_boot X:\windows

where X is the window installation to be fixed.

"

@echo off
setlocal EnableExtensions EnableDelayedExpansion
pushd %~dp0

rem set_7_usb_boot.cmd v0.02
rem created by cdob
echo prepare offline windows 7 registry, set USB boot drivers &echo.

set System_Root=\Windows
if not %1.==. set System_Root=%1

if not exist "%System_Root%\system32\config\system" set /P System_Root=Path to your SystemRoot folder on usb drive (e:\Windows):
if not exist "%System_Root%\system32\config\system" (echo Error: target not found &pause &popd &goto :eof)

copy "%System_Root%\system32\config\system" "%System_Root%\system32\config\system_%random%.sav "
reg.exe load HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM "%System_Root%\system32\config\system"

set ControlSetDefault=
call :setReg Default
call :setReg LastKnownGood

reg.exe unload HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM
popd

goto :eof

:setReg
set ControlSet=001
reg.exe query "HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM\Select" /v "%1" nul 2&1 && (
for /f "skip=2 tokens=3" %%a in ('reg.exe query "HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM\Select" /v "%1"') do set /a ControlSet=%%a
set ControlSet=000!ControlSet!
)
set ControlSetNNN=ControlSet%ControlSet:~-3%
if %ControlSetDefault%.==%ControlSetNNN%. goto :eof
echo. &echo ControlSet "%ControlSetNNN%" used.

set Services=HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM\%ControlSetNNN%\Servic es
set Control=HKLM\loaded_SYSTEM\%ControlSetNNN%\Control

rem http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ded.1001).aspx
rem Deploying Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 on USB Flash Drive
rem http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
reg.exe add %Control%\PnP /f /v PollBootPartitionTimeout /t REG_DWORD /d 30000
rem Loads VHD, SD, and USB boot drivers.
reg.exe add %Control% /f /v BootDriverFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 0x6

set ControlSetDefault=%ControlSetNNN%
goto :eof
"

Bye,
Skybuck.