will a 200gb hd work in Compaq S4020WM ?

Old October 9th 04, 03:26 PM
Euclid

Default will a 200gb hd work in Compaq S4020WM ?

Staples has some 200GB hard drives on sale, but will it work in my Compaq
S4020WM purchased at Walmart a little over a year ago?
-E

Old October 10th 04, 01:12 AM
HH

Most likely, yes. Jumper it CS for Cable Select.
HH

nk.net...

Old October 10th 04, 01:58 AM
Euclid

OK, thanks, I'll probably get one at Staples tomorrow and try it. I'd really
like to have a SCSI drive for my op system but don't know enough about the
technical factors nor whether my computer could handle it.
-E

"HH" wrote in message
Most likely, yes. Jumper it CS for Cable Select.
HH

nk.net...

Old October 10th 04, 12:13 PM
Tom Scales

SCSI would be an expensive solution for almost no benefit. It has its uses.
This just isn't one of them.

Tom
ink.net...

"HH" wrote in message
Most likely, yes. Jumper it CS for Cable Select.
HH

nk.net...

Old October 10th 04, 12:41 PM
HH

Another point. Most PCs won't boot from a SCSI drive if there is an IDE
drive present.
HH

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
SCSI would be an expensive solution for almost no benefit. It has its
uses. This just isn't one of them.

Tom
ink.net...

"HH" wrote in message
Most likely, yes. Jumper it CS for Cable Select.
HH

nk.net...

Old October 10th 04, 07:56 PM
Euclid

OK, I figured there were technical problems, but it would benefit me if I
had one. The IDE drives are too slow and unreliable for one of my database
applications that has constant heavy disk access. The experts with that
application software recommended the faster SCSI drives as the only possible
solution. Of course they're mostly university professors running
unix-related op systems, not windows.
-E

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
SCSI would be an expensive solution for almost no benefit. It has its
uses. This just isn't one of them.

Tom
ink.net...

"HH" wrote in message
Most likely, yes. Jumper it CS for Cable Select.
HH

nk.net...

Old October 10th 04, 10:36 PM
Tom Scales

The experts are idiots.

If you need real speed, get a 10,000 RPM IDE drive and put it on a separate
controller Better yet, get a SATA controller and 10K drive.

SCSI is so last year.
ink.net...

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
SCSI would be an expensive solution for almost no benefit. It has its
uses. This just isn't one of them.

Tom
ink.net...

"HH" wrote in message
Most likely, yes. Jumper it CS for Cable Select.
HH

nk.net...

Old October 11th 04, 03:25 PM
DEJ57

Perhpas I'll get the chance to test your opinion at some point--my SCSI at this
point still out performs my 7200 RPM IDE when paying avi files that are
processed by my encoder video card out to NTSC. Playback studders with the
7200 IDE--perhaps the 10,000 is enough to do the job. I'd welcome loosing the
SCSI card and HDD, simplifing the setup in my PC to one or two large IDEs....

Dale
Old October 11th 04, 06:51 PM
Tom Scales

I'd be surprised if your hard drive was the limiting factor. I record DVD
quality video and play it back off a 5400rpm drive in an external USB2 case
and it plays flawlessly.

Tom

Old October 11th 04, 07:30 PM
DEJ57

Excellent point. May well be the 1996 16 bit capture/encoder video card I
use--but I can get smooth playback using the SCSI Quantum Vicking II--heck, had
it so long now I don't remember what its rotation speed is--likely 10,000...but
the 7200 IDE studders occasionally....when I got the SCSI way back when (1997)
it was to get video playback working smoothly with the above video card in my
4112--a 133/60 MHZ, 96 RAM, and 10,000 in IDE was unheard of, at least by
me....

Dale

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 17th 04 08:30 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 April 25th 04 10:45 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 April 17th 04 11:03 AM
Compaq FAQ (New Link included) HH Compaq Computers 0 January 24th 04 02:34 PM