Presario 1800 reformat/update?

Old January 6th 04, 01:54 AM
Whelan

Default Presario 1800 reformat/update?

I've just been handed down my son's Compaq Presario 1800 laptop. (I bought
him a replacement.)

This Presario has never been able to tap into our home network for printing
or file sharing (since I installed Win XPPro on it summer 2002. However it
can use DSL through our router. This last week I have tried furiously to
solve the networking problem, with lots of advice on the Dell message
boards, but nothing works.

It looks like I will have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Win XPPro
to have any hope of networking it.

Has anyone made a fresh start on a a Presario 1800 with XP? Was it difficult
to find drivers etc to make it work? I'm not finding what I need, so far, on
the web site; it only lists Win Me and 2000.

(We did purchase an extended warranty in July 2001... Any chance Compaq
would provide support of the type I need by phone?)

Nan

Old January 6th 04, 03:36 AM
tc

It seems to me, if you can access the internet, you should be able to access
your network. Assuming you are using a router and the other machines are
networking with tcp/ip, what would the difference be? Check to make sure
your XP firewall is turned off.
Terry

Old January 6th 04, 04:23 AM
Thagor

I've had Win2K running on one of these laptops for years without a glitch. I
can't imagine why XP doesn't seem to work, (well maybe a touchpad problem or
two), but you can always go with Win2K. If it needed a special driver for
Win2K, I probably have it somewhere so give me a shout should you decide on
the latter and need one. I haven't been to Support since the HP take over so
I wouldn't know what they have available.

"Whelan" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old January 6th 04, 07:05 AM
Whelan

Some helpful people, Angus for one, suggested many things to try.
The firewall is off.
I've standardized the login and workgroup names (tried 3 different workgroup
names actually, with many reboots).

I have connected to the router (at times): a Dell 4500 desktop, a Gateway
Solo 2500 (a 1998 model), a new Dell 8500 laptop and the Presario 1800. They
all have XPPro except the Gateway has 98se. They can all see each others'
shared folders etc except the Compaq -- it can't see past the workgroup
name.

Angus told me how to "ping": They can ping each other by name and IP
address, except the Compaq can only ping or be pinged by IP address.

The TCP/IP settings are the same on all (except the last 2 digits of the
addresses).

What are the "optional windows components? eg: the networks add-ons" that
Trai' mentions? Will I find them on the XP installation CD?
That might be worth a try!
Nan

Old January 6th 04, 07:29 AM
Whelan

XP has been fine, except for this inability to join the home network and
print through it.

This Presario has been my son's sole computer at college for 2+ years, with
a printer. In that situation he didn't need to network with anyone and it
was fine (except of course the harddrive is too small!).

But when home for weekends and summer he could never print. We never figured
it out' just put up with it.

The web site has a place to "Chat Online"
http://atwnt333.external.hp.com/bus-...chat_pilot.asp so I'll try
that to ask about drivers.
Nan

om...

Old January 6th 04, 10:15 AM
tc

Network Connections - Advanced (on tool bar)- Optional Network Components.
Try Networking Services - Details button. I guess I would compare it to
another machine running XP Pro that is working on your network.
Terry

Old January 6th 04, 10:21 AM
tc

The 'can't ping by name' sounds significant. You haven't got 2 computers
with the same name by any chance? Can your router give you a list of the
computers by name and ip address?
Terry

Old January 6th 04, 10:39 AM
tc

Make sure 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' is checked under Local
Area Connection Properties - Internet Protocol - Properties.
Terry