strange behaviour of USB2- memorycard-reader in Windows XP

Old February 2nd 04, 08:11 PM
pete

Default strange behaviour of USB2- memorycard-reader in Windows XP

hello.

I recently bought a memorycardreader for my cell-phone's MMCs. For a while
(~2 weeks) it worked great, but then one morning it was 'dead' (I use S3
sleep state during nights - can't be related to that, can it?). Now, when I
plug it in, windows says:

"USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer
has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."

strange parts to come: all of my other USB-devices work fine (though none of
them USB2..) and when I connect the cardreader to my PC via the USB-hub in
my display, it works? O_o ..this could be a 'fix' if the hub weren't a USB
1.1..

I've already tried unplugging all USB devices and removing the USB host
controllers / root hubs from device manager and rebooting - no effect.

please, somebody help me!

...if only I could somehow 'reset' everything USB related in the windows..
(no; I can't restore to a previous setup, I've disabled the function :P )

-pete

ps. I've tried the device in other systems as well: it's not physically
broken. This is definately windows -related..

Old February 3rd 04, 03:10 AM
david

"pete" wrote in message ...
[...]

Sorry, I know this doesn't help, but I am having the similar problem,
and just want to post again to hopefully let more people see this.

The more strange part for me is that all of my device are working, and
now all of a sudden, the 2 usb 2.0 devices doesn't work anymore, while
all other still do..... and I have tried uninstalling all the usb root
hubs, host controllers, etc. in safe mode, everything else came back
ok, but not those 2.

I have also tried restoring to a point where I know when everything
works, but no luck still.

please do let me know if you have a solution. thanks.

david
Old February 3rd 04, 03:48 AM
DaveinOlyWa

well i think you are a victim of unreliable hardware.

i now am familiar with 3 people who bought portable USB drives (they
are basically memory cards with slightly diff format) and had them
die on them in only a few months.

they both claim that they always carried them in their cases around
their necks when it wasnt plugged in somewheres. they both claim to
have been non-abusive parents or guardians of the devices in
question.

but its become apparent to me that some of the drives are prone to
failure for some unknown reasons. i have used one religiously for
nearly a year now and have had no problems what so ever. this
includes nearly 7 months of daily transfers from school to home and
back.

but there are also some people who cant wear electric watches for some
reason because the batteries wont keep a charge.

sorry to say this, but your card is probably DOA

Old February 3rd 04, 04:48 AM
DaveinOlyWa

ooops i guess i should have read David's post more closely first.

you say the card reader DOES work in the USB 1.1 hub?

if that is the case, it sounds like the memory is corrupted.

usb 2 devices generally shouldnt work in a 1.1 device

usb 1.1 devices will work in a 2.0 hub but still run at 1.1 speed.

strange behaviour of floppy drive kony General 0 January 27th 04 01:30 AM
Very strange behaviour. Kevin Lawton General 4 January 8th 04 06:18 PM
Strange behaviour... Shep© General 3 January 8th 04 03:45 AM
strange hard drive behaviour, stop-start gwyn lintern General 4 January 7th 04 09:18 PM
strange behaviour Andreas Kirschner General 4 August 11th 03 06:20 AM