OT--TV suggestions?

Old June 8th 10, 03:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Default OT--TV suggestions?

OK, we have finally decided to look into getting an HD TV.
We have a cabinet that can hold a 40"-50" TV.

I know nothing about the newer TV's. I don't know the different types
(plasma? Thin screen?). We would hope to pay = $650.

Any suggestions on type/model?

Mel

Old June 8th 10, 12:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 22:18:15 -0400, "MZB"
wrote:

OK, we have finally decided to look into getting an HD TV.
We have a cabinet that can hold a 40"-50" TV.

I know nothing about the newer TV's. I don't know the different types
(plasma? Thin screen?). We would hope to pay = $650.

Any suggestions on type/model?

Mel

About a year ago I was considering the same and asked people in the
know. Several told me think Samsung. Since then, can't say.
Old June 8th 10, 12:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Jun 7, 9:18*pm, "MZB" wrote:
OK, we have finally decided to look into getting an HD TV.
We have a cabinet that can hold a 40"-50" TV.

I know nothing about the newer TV's. I don't know the different types
(plasma? Thin screen?). We would hope to pay = $650.

Any suggestions on type/model?

Mel

Samsung,LCD,1080p,120Hz,LEDback-lit...40" will cost more than your
budget price.
Alt. Samsung LCD,1080p,60Hz,6ms...doable! (even 720p is excellent)

bob
Old June 8th 10, 02:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

MZB wrote:
OK, we have finally decided to look into getting an HD TV.
We have a cabinet that can hold a 40"-50" TV.

I know nothing about the newer TV's. I don't know the different types
(plasma? Thin screen?). We would hope to pay = $650.

Any suggestions on type/model?

Mel

Google "how to buy a high definition television" (without the quotes)
for piles of information.

Daddy

Old June 8th 10, 10:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jean Rosenfeld[_2_]

A good site for info and advice including user reviews and experiences of
many specific models is

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/

Old June 8th 10, 10:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jean Rosenfeld[_2_]

PS. The site I mentioned is UK based, and in some instances model numbers
for the same panel are different in UK and US. But even idf you're US based,
yoiu may find it useful.

Old June 9th 10, 01:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Pat Conover[_2_]

"MZB" wrote in message
OK, we have finally decided to look into getting an HD TV.
We have a cabinet that can hold a 40"-50" TV.

I know nothing about the newer TV's. I don't know the different types
(plasma? Thin screen?). We would hope to pay = $650.

Any suggestions on type/model?

Mel

Mel, I don't know about the UK, but here in the US the place to start is

http://www.avsforum.com/

Do your research there first, then shop. I bought a 56" Samsung 1080p DLP
TV back in 2007 at Best Buy, with some coupons, etc around Christmas for
about $1,300, which back then was a steal. Of course DLP is now out, and
LCD is the major player. Now the choices seem to be LCD's with 120 or 240
MHz (I think) refresh rates. Check the reliability ratings too, since my
DLP had one light engine (read CPU & MB in computer terms) replaced within
the first year. Might be the only purchase, depending on price, where I
would recommend an extended warranty. Check with your credit card company
too, as they used to offer free 1-year additional warranty above the
manufacturer. One guy on the forums got a new TV after his failed from his
CC company. Samsung also had an extra 6 months added to the 1-year warranty
when registering online.

I was in Sams Club the other day and they had some good prices on LCD's and
Plasmas. Try Costco too. The warehouse stores also offer extended
warranties much cheaper than other stores. Amazon is also a good place to
shop, Lastly, get the largest screen you can afford, you won't regret it!
Good luck shopping, Pat