Strange results overclocking an Athlon XP2800+

Old January 23rd 04, 12:07 AM
Hm

Default Strange results overclocking an Athlon XP2800+

Hi,

Just built a Pc with

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 motherboard
Athlon Barton XP2800+ CPU
Crucial 512 DDR400 3200 CL=3 memory (1 stick)
Hightech Excalabur Radeon 9600XT video card
Maxtor 6Y080M0 Plus 9 80 Gb Serial ATA HDD
Windows XP Home + SP1A

It's been running now for a week with no problems (other than a
problem with SATA and NIS I won't bore you with). Because it's been
so stable I decided to try overclocking and assumed the CPU would have
it's multiplier locked and I'd have to adjust the FSB. However, I
tested this out and it appears that the CPU isn't locked, but I'm
getting some strange results.

1. I upped the multiplier from 12.5 to 13.0, and the CPU was
recognized as being an XP3000+ with a clock speed of 2162.72 reported
by 'Easytune' which is just what I expected.

2. I upped the multiplier to 13.5 and although 'Easytune' reports the
speed as being 2245.90 MHz as expected, the BIOS reports the CPU to be
an Athlon XP 2255. Any ideas as to why this might be the case?

The benchmarks I have run are strange too. Although they are Graphics
based benchmarks , I see an expected small increase from 2800 to 3000
but in the case of the move to 3200, 3DMark 2000 and 2001 increase
slightly but the 3D Mark 2003 benchmarks actually falls. Here they

2800MHz 3000MHz 3200MHz

3DMark2000 14,117 14,422 14,805

3DMark2001 12,711 12,839 12,846

3DMark2003 3,965 4,015 3,975

Any comments?

Thanks,

Harry
Old January 23rd 04, 12:41 AM
Sunbow

i`ve noiced a fall in agp performance as my cpu increases. i think it has to
do with the FSB divider and how sensative your graphics card is to bus speed
changes.

Old January 23rd 04, 10:05 AM
IanDunbar

" Hm" wrote in message

2. I upped the multiplier to 13.5 and although 'Easytune' reports

the
speed as being 2245.90 MHz as expected, the BIOS reports the CPU

to be
an Athlon XP 2255. Any ideas as to why this might be the case?

If you look again you should see it shows Athlon XP 2255MHz, because
the bios can't identify the chip it just shows the speed in MHz.

--

Ian

A7N8X Deluxe v1.04
Uber Bios 1006 + Sata Bios
XP2500 @ 2400MHz
Corsair Twinx1024-3200LLPT
200 x 12.0
ATI Radeon 9700Pro
2 x Maxtor 120GB 8MB SATA RAID 0

Old January 25th 04, 08:24 AM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"Sunbow" wrote in message
news
i`ve noiced a fall in agp performance as my cpu increases. i think it has

do with the FSB divider and how sensative your graphics card is to bus

speed
changes.

The same thing happens with Intel chips too. So you are right when it comes
to the agp thing.
Boost your agp a little, I wish I could say by how much, but, every system
is going to be different.
Mine = out at about 75Mhs Bus on the Agp.
I was trying to tell someone about this on another Overclockers Ng, but
don't seem to get through
to this person.
Right now though, my system is lagging cause I used my 500W Psu on my
MSI KM2M
A little bit over what I need for one HD one cdr-w and one AGP Radeon 9000,
more like
'Overkill' on power, I don't think I need that
much.
I am planing on getting more drives for it, I just didn't get there yet.
Heh? Cpu?
Sorry, AMD 2000+
I like this system, it's my first AMD Xp system, I've never put one together
before this one.
There was also a time I thought I'd never have anything but Intel's chips
too, I guess old dogs can learn
new tricks.
'Easytune' or Easytune4, don't always go by what it reads for speed.
cpu-z is better, and sometimes 'Eeasytune' is wrong.
My settings on the 2000+ All normal, I'm not overclocking it @ all.
My P4, the one I'm writting this on, 2.6 GHz @ 3.23 GHz But with the PSU,
it runs
more like 3.20 or below.