Acer Aspire 5515

Old April 20th 09, 12:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
David 01

Default Acer Aspire 5515

I bought one and intentionally deleted all the partitions. I was going to
restore it to factory defaults but the restore disk doesn't format and
partition the drive. Does anyone have one that is stock and can tell me
the name of the restore partition? The regular partition is ACER and
there was one called DATA, I think, but I forgot the name of the restore
partition. Also, I think it was 10 GB. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks!
Old April 21st 09, 04:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
HH[_3_]

Most commonly, a single restore CD must have the factory image on the hard
drive in order to restore the drive to its factory original state. If you
deleted this partition the restore CD is worthless.

HH

Old April 21st 09, 10:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
David 01

"David 01" wrote in message
I bought one and intentionally deleted all the partitions. I was going
restore it to factory defaults but the restore disk doesn't format and
partition the drive. Does anyone have one that is stock and can tell me
the name of the restore partition? The regular partition is ACER and
there was one called DATA, I think, but I forgot the name of the
restore partition. Also, I think it was 10 GB. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks!

Duh! Why do think I was asking so that I could put it back????????

Old April 22nd 09, 10:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
David 01

"David 01" wrote in message
I bought one and intentionally deleted all the partitions. I was going
restore it to factory defaults but the restore disk doesn't format
and partition the drive. Does anyone have one that is stock and can
tell me the name of the restore partition? The regular partition is
ACER and there was one called DATA, I think, but I forgot the name of
the restore partition. Also, I think it was 10 GB. Can anyone confirm
that?

Thanks!

Duh! Why do think I was asking so that I could put it back????????

Duh! Your question and your first comment indicate that all this is above
your head. How do you think the partition was created in the first place?
Now run along and bug someone else. You can't help and I don't want to
play with your kind. ie, hit the road!!!

Old April 22nd 09, 04:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Kevin Childers

"David 01" wrote in message
I bought one and intentionally deleted all the partitions. I was going to
restore it to factory defaults but the restore disk doesn't format and
partition the drive. Does anyone have one that is stock and can tell me
the name of the restore partition? The regular partition is ACER and
there was one called DATA, I think, but I forgot the name of the restore
partition. Also, I think it was 10 GB. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks!

If you deleted the partitions, you deleted their contents. Just recreating
the partitions will not resolve your issues. As I understand it the restore
CD only processes the restoration, using the content of those partitions.
Ergo the restore CD can restore any simular PC to any variety of
configurations, all depending on the content of those partitions.

Long story short, you need to do a complete install, there is nothing to
restore.

KMC

Old April 22nd 09, 11:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
David 01

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:42:06 -0500, Kevin Childers wrote:

"David 01" wrote in message
[...]

I'm aware that I deleted the contents of the partitions. That exactly was
what I intended to do.

If I use the restore Cd's, they only completely erase and restore the
ACER partition and of course, do nothing to the restore partition because
it has not been re-created, (I'm assuming that is the reason). I'm also
assuming that if I re-create the restore partition and give it the
original name and size, that the restore Cd's will do as they do on the
ACER partition and erase the information (of course there won't be any
there the first time) and restore it as from the factory. I can't do a
complete install because I don't have install disks. I have the software
and experience to re-create, re-size, move, etc partitions on the HD, no
problem.

Thanks for your reply.
Old April 23rd 09, 07:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Pete Zahut

"David 01" wrote in message
[...]

The restore CDs look for, and use, the information on the "restore"
partition. In other words, they work together and with each other. Even if
you have (had) the restore CD, it would be of no use to you without the
restore partition and vice versa. If you've deleted the restore partition,
no amount of restore discs will help you.

Old April 24th 09, 03:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
David 01

"David 01" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your reply. Let me clarify something. I do have the restore
CDs and they will restore the ACER (C partition WITHOUT the restore
partition or it's information being present. It just doesn't restore the
restore partition (which I think will work without the CDs (may not be
correct there because I haven't tried that)) nor the DATA partition. ie,
I do not have a restore partition nor any restore info on my drive and
the restore CDs will restore the ACER partition without them. I assume
it's formatting that partition and then reinstalling to it. It's factory
fresh, just like out of the box (with the exception that there is no
hidden or otherwise restore partition nor DATA partition) after I use
them.