Gateway PROFILE III CX

Old September 18th 08, 04:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
JR the Postman

Default Gateway PROFILE III CX

Well this profile is getting closer to the front of the Bench...

I just looked, I do not find a motherboard listed for this unit.

I would have thought there might be a Motherboard drivers for this unit,
USB, especially since it has notebook-style PC Card slot for Type I and
Type III cards.

It has an integrated Intel 810e graphics that cannot handle 32-bit color,
so there must be some special software drivers to address this video
chip... I guess I am blind when looking about the Gateway support
collection.

I want to upgrade this unit to win2k to give it a few more years of
life...
http://support.gateway.com/support/a...?sn=0024007475

JR the postman
Old September 22nd 08, 10:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
JR the Postman

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 03:36:09 +0000, JR the Postman wrote:

Well this profile is getting closer to the front of the Bench...

I just looked, I do not find a motherboard listed for this unit.

I would have thought there might be a Motherboard drivers for this unit,
USB, especially since it has notebook-style PC Card slot for Type I and
Type III cards.

It has an integrated Intel 810e graphics that cannot handle 32-bit
color, so there must be some special software drivers to address this
video chip... I guess I am blind when looking about the Gateway support
collection.

I want to upgrade this unit to win2k to give it a few more years of
life...
http://support.gateway.com/support/a...?sn=0024007475

JR the postman

* * *

Update: I did a win2k install, and could not find enough drivers to make
this useful computer work without being on-line... The 3com megahertz
10/100 lan CardBus PC Card would not get me on-line...

I discovered the Intel 810e graphics in this gateway system, give a good
number of Linux Distro fits, trying to run them as a Live CD out of the
box... Finding a Linux Distro that would support the Intel I810e as a
live CD was a chore, I had a limited choice becase of installed 120m
ofmemory...

Puppy - provides the 1024x768 16-bit support for the graphic card needs.
Now to locate an inexpensive USB to Cat5 adapter and this computer is
ready to surf the web, e-mail and perform school work with the fast word
processor... An HP Deskjet 795 printer installed in the blink of an eye
following the instruction on the puppy support forum...

Puppy Linux 4.0 is faster than the windows ME that was originally shipped
and installed, but the older puppy version 3.1 has a few more time
wasting games... Puppy 3.1 runs so quick in this hardware from a Live
CD, it does not need to be installed... If the hard drive destroys its
self from old age this computer will still be good for a dial up phone,
DSL, or Cable Internet access...

Another older computer lives again, performing well beyond its Microsoft
operating system death...

I hope someone with one of these computer setting in their closet, reads
this and gives the Puppy linux a try, as this is a quick marrage of
hardware & a Linux Operating system...

Here are some extra software you can add and use if you install the Puppy
operating system... I use gimp as a photoshop replacement, in both
windows and Linux...
http://tmxxine.com/wik/wikka.php?wakka=DingoAddons

Open Office is a good free Microsoft Office Suite replacement in both
Windows and Linux... Unless you are in the accounting, or legal
department of your fortune 500 company open office will provide more than
most people use an Office Suite to accomplish...

JR the postman
Old September 27th 08, 08:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
William R. Walsh

Hi!

It has an integrated Intel 810e graphics that cannot handle 32-bit
color, so there must be some special software drivers to address this
video chip

As far as I've ever been able to tell, the 810/810e graphics subsystem is
simply not 32-bit color capable. Most implementations can manage 24-bit
color though.

Another older computer lives again, performing well beyond its Microsoft
operating system death...

I'm glad you mentioned this, and I think it will only get more popular than
it has as Linux gets easier for the end user to handle.

Open Office is a good free Microsoft Office Suite replacement in both
Windows and Linux...

....and Macintosh, where it's called NeoOffice. (Although it should be said
that OpenOffice can run in X Windows on the Mac OS, and that work has been
done by OpenOffice.org to make their product run natively on OS X.)

Unless you are in the accounting, or legal department of your fortune 500

company
open office will provide more than most people use an Office Suite to

accomplish...

I would recommend everyone who can try OpenOffice do so, maybe even if they
are in these lines of business. I've supported it in a business environment
where everyone on the outside was using Office for everything...and
OpenOffice has managed to keep pace very, very nicely. I've even come to
like its Word Processing module better than Word.

William