What hardware to best speed up processing large Word file?

Old December 22nd 20, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default What hardware to best speed up processing large Word file?

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

I though maybe going to a faster CPU. I have an Intel I5. As I
mentioned in another post, I don't recall exactly what model. My MB
will go up to an I7 I think.

More important would how high in clock rate your mobo supports for the
CPU. I don't recommended overclocking as that just makes unstable the
setup, and you'll have to invest in better cooling at higher cost
(usually going excessive on cooling since you won't know how much you
need beforehand, and you probably don't want to dismantle to install
another better HSF when you find what you used before was insufficient).
Unless you intend to overclock, don't bother paying extra for an
unlocked version of the CPU. Also remember that there are 65W and 125W
versions of the CPU. If you currently have a 65W chip, you'll need
[much] better cooling with a 125W chip.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/which-cpu...-core-i5-vs-i7

At Newegg.com:
- Intel i5 10th gen 4.1GHz 6-core 125W: $269
- Intel i7 8th gen 3.8GHz 8-core 125W: $369

An i5 is dialed down, but I doubt you'll notice real-world performance
gain by going to an i7 regarding Word's responsiveness. Handling a huge
document is about moving around lots of data, not lots of alteration. I
doubt 2 more cores will help speed up Word's document performance, but
moving from 2.9 to 4.1 GHz might; however, I'd focus on memory first
along with ensuring 64-bit for both OS and program.

I could easily add another 2 sticks of RAM to go to 32 GB if that
would help. I think Word is the 64-bit version. I have Office 365, is
there a way to check to make sure?

Go into Task Manager, and look under the Processes tab. In prior
versions of Windows, if a process was 32-bit then it had an asterisk
after its name. In Windows 10, "(32 bit)" is appended onto the process
name. If the 32-bit indicator is missing, it's a 64-bit process.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

I suspect you could throw hundreds of dollars at achieving incremental
performance gain, but end up with miniscule benefit to Word's handling
of super-huge documents.

As for indexing and Table of Contents ...

As I recall, indexing and table of contents are still available in
Master Document mode. Those are based on flags in the document whether
they be in a single document or across multiple sections in a master
document.

https://wordribbon.tips.net/T013128_...cu ments.html

Same for Table of Contents.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/mi...ple-documents/

Google can find lots of articles by searching on:

"word [for dummies] master document topic"

where topic is "indexing" or "table of contents". Since there are
matches when adding "for dummies", you should check if your local
library carries the "Word [for Professionals] for Dummies" books. You
don't need that latest version of Word. Old versions operate similarly.

However, since your genealogy software dumps out one huge .doc file,
you'll be doing all the work to slice it up into sections, defining a
master document, and recreating the Index and Table of Contents. I'd
suggest asking for help in a microsoft.public.word.* newsgroup whose
community is focused on Microsoft Word. I'd have to learn it anew since
I haven't needed or used it for over a decade.
Old December 25th 20, 07:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob F

On 12/21/2020 9:08 AM, Paul wrote:
Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 02:21:07 -0500, Paul
wrote:

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
My genealogy program will create a very large file for Word that I
have been saving as a PDF for distribution at the family reunion each
year. The file is currently over 3000 pages. If I try to do any
editing in Word, it takes forever. Is there any way to change hardware
or addÂ* something to make this work reasonalby fast? I currently have
Word in my C Drive which is a Samsung 500 GB SSD. I plan on replacing
it with a Samsung 1 TB nvme. The genealogy program runs on the C drive
also, but the data is on a HDD. When I add the nvme, should I put the
data on the nvme, or would it be better to put it on the repurposed
500 GB SSD, or does it make any difference?
TIA for any suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions from both Paul and Vangard.... but I've hit
on a bit of a problem since I posted. I got the Samsung 1TB drive, but
failed to get it working. Installed, my computer recognizes it. Sees
it on ports 4 & 5. After cloning it shows up in both Win 10 Computer
Management and in Hard disk Sentinel. but if I remove the 500 GB SSD I
cloned from, I can't get the BIOS to find the 1 TB as a boot device.

BTW the computer is a homebuilt Gigabyte MB (GS-Z97X-UD3H-BK),
processor is an Intel I-5, don't remember exact model, and there's 16
GB of RAM.OS is Win 10, latest updates.

I tried cloning from the 500 GB to the 1 TB drive, and once cloned,
the computer fails to recoginize it as a boot device. I've had no
problem at all cloning the 500 GB drive.... done it several times
without problem using HDClone.

What is the model number of the Samsung drive ?

What is the model number of the original drive ?

I assume these are SATA. But maybe you've got your
NVMe already ?

What you can do, is with the Samsung connected, boot
a Macrium Rescue CD and use the "Boot Repair" option
in the optional menu. You want *only* the drive
that won't boot, connected during this exercise.
That assures that when Macrium scans the SATA drive,
it only "glues together" the boot materials from
inside that drive, and does not glue every blasted
drive in the computer into some BCD file.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* --- DVD drive --- Macrium Rescue CD

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* --- SATA HDD ---- Samsung 1TB

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* -----------------/ Other ports empty

Sometimes what happens during cloning, is the
boot materials aren't completely copied. The
Rescue CD can fix that.

But of course, it's not a SATA drive, this new thing,
so now we move on.

*******

I have the PDF manual on disk here. It says:

Â*Â* "Use of licensed AMI UEFI BIOS"

Since the original drive booted, the BIOS should already
have the correct settings for doing a good job.

Â*Â* CSM Support

Â*Â*Â*Â* Enables or disables UEFI CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
Â*Â*Â*Â* to support a legacy PC boot process.

Â*Â*Â*Â* Always Enables UEFI CSM. (Default) ===Â* boots MSDOS era media
Â*Â*Â*Â* Never Disables UEFI CSM and supports UEFI BIOS boot process only.

Â*Â* Boot Mode Selection

Â*Â*Â*Â* Allows you to select which type of operating system to boot.

Â*Â*Â*Â* UEFI and LegacyÂ* Allows booting from operating systems that
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* support legacy option ROM or UEFI option ROM.
(Default) ===

Â*Â*Â*Â* Legacy OnlyÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â* Allows booting from operating systems that
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* only support legacy Option ROM.

Â*Â*Â*Â* UEFI OnlyÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Allows booting from operating systems that
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* only support UEFI Option ROM.

Â*Â* Storage Boot Option Control

Â*Â*Â*Â* (May need adjustment, not sure...)
Â*Â*Â*Â* (M.2 PCIe may need UEFI first)

Â*Â* M.2 PCIE SSD RAID Mode
Â*Â*Â*Â* Enables or disables Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Sometimes, if you're booting from NVMe materials, there's
some storage ROM of some sort that has to be enabled.

Â*Â* Other PCI Device ROM Priority

Â*Â*Â*Â* Allows you to select whether to enable the UEFI or
Â*Â*Â*Â* Legacy option ROM for the PCI device controller other
Â*Â*Â*Â* than the LAN, storage device, and graphics controllers.

Â*Â*Â*Â* Legacy OpROM Enables legacy option ROM only.
Â*Â*Â*Â* UEFI OpROM Enables UEFI option ROM only. (Default)Â* ===

Â*Â*Â*Â* This item is configurable only when CSM Support is set to Always.

You can see someone had your problem here, and this failure
pattern is a familiar one.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...3h-bk.3416549/

My board is Asus, and some of the terminology is slightly
different. And that's why searching the PDF manual isn't
digging up any hits.

Â*Â* "check in the bios the SATA Controller is setÂ* to AHCI Mode "

Which should have been the case anyway. There's some
detail like that, that NVMe only work with certain
modes, and only then when the BIOS is mature enough
to not have bugs.

Â*Â* "The BIOS update was indeed the issue.Â* I had read through
Â*Â*Â* the update descriptions but didn't see where they mentioned
Â*Â*Â* fixing a boot from an M.2 drive.Â* Could have missed it.
Â*Â*Â* I have to give them credit - the update process is SO much
Â*Â*Â* easier than the last time I did that a decade or two ago.Â* Wow...

Â*Â*Â* The SATA controller was already set to AHCI."

Another breadcrumb. This is most likely to be the problem.

Â*Â* "Z97X Gaming5 Rev 1.0 bios F7 here. Issues like described
Â*Â*Â* with hc310 6TB disk. The solution for me was to enable
Â*Â*Â* Intel Rapid Start Technology and then it gave option under
Â*Â*Â* it to choose the controller to be used. I choose the other
Â*Â*Â* one that was available - "PCIE AHCI/NVME Controller" and
Â*Â*Â* system boots just fine. My disk with system is plextor ssd
Â*Â*Â* and HGST is the main storage."

RAID and AHCI typically share the same driver file package.
The RAID (RST) seems to recognize the PCIe interface to the
NVMe device. And perhaps it needs to be turned on so the
NVMe can be seen at boot, via the RAID ROM. And the option
ROMs have to be turned on, for this to work. You can't get
to the RAID window, unless the RAID ROM is turned on first,
save, then enter the BIOS and press the magic key combo
to get the RAID screen up.

Now you know why most NVMe owners are bald from the hair loss.

HTH,
Â*Â*Â* Paul

But once you get it working, WOW! This sucker is FAST!

I had similar problems getting it working. Getting every necessary
driver installed was part of the problem. IIRC, there might have been a
problem with having AHCI not enabled before cloning to it the first time.

Processing speed question! Annie Dell Computers 15 October 6th 06 10:03 AM
Convert DVD to CD? (large .cab file) Sunny Cdr 8 January 9th 06 02:01 AM
Burning a large AVI file to VCD The Seabat Cdr 5 November 1st 05 10:05 PM
Nero & a Large File.. smh Cdr 3 October 22nd 05 04:24 AM
Large file UDF problem ayosha Cdr 7 August 11th 03 08:36 AM