RAID1: do I need identical drives or just same capacity?

Old June 9th 04, 02:47 AM
Ken K

Default RAID1: do I need identical drives or just same capacity?

I would like to set up a RAID1 with my Western Digital IDE 120GB hdd and
a new Hitachi SATA 120GB drive. Can this be done or do I need to have
identical drives?

Thanks
Ken K

Old June 10th 04, 08:53 PM
newB

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:47:36 -0700, Ken K
wrote:

I would like to set up a RAID1 with my Western Digital IDE 120GB hdd and
a new Hitachi SATA 120GB drive. Can this be done or do I need to have
identical drives?

Thanks
Ken K

Drives do not have to be identical, but performance is limited by the
slower drive and max volume size is dictated by the smaller drive

Sounds like you are proposing software-based RAID, which means you
probably won't be able to boot off the array.

Old June 11th 04, 04:45 AM
Ken K

wrote:

I would like to set up a RAID1 with my Western Digital IDE 120GB hdd and
a new Hitachi SATA 120GB drive. Can this be done or do I need to have
identical drives?

Thanks
Ken K

Drives do not have to be identical, but performance is limited by the
slower drive and max volume size is dictated by the smaller drive

Sounds like you are proposing software-based RAID, which means you
probably won't be able to boot off the array.

Actually, it is hardware based RAID. I have an ASUS P4PE mb with a
Prromise SATA RAID controller. The 2nd drive is actually a bit faster
in seek time than the first, so it should work.

Thanks
Ken K

Old June 11th 04, 09:15 PM
newB

wrote:

I would like to set up a RAID1 with my Western Digital IDE 120GB hdd and
a new Hitachi SATA 120GB drive. Can this be done or do I need to have
identical drives?

Thanks
Ken K

Drives do not have to be identical, but performance is limited by the
slower drive and max volume size is dictated by the smaller drive

Sounds like you are proposing software-based RAID, which means you
probably won't be able to boot off the array.

Actually, it is hardware based RAID. I have an ASUS P4PE mb with a
Prromise SATA RAID controller. The 2nd drive is actually a bit faster
in seek time than the first, so it should work.

Thanks
Ken K

So you're saying you can include PATA and SATA in the same array?
Doesn't make any sense to me, but then again I don't work with those
things.

FWIW most low end onboard based raid exist in a kind of grey area
between hardware and software based raid. In fact because of the
importance of the driver, they are typically seen as more software
based than hardware/firmware.