Need AMSET for Quantum Fireball AS40.

Old December 22nd 04, 02:18 AM
Bronney Hui

Default Need AMSET for Quantum Fireball AS40.

Hello,

I've been searching for acoustic management util for quantum and can't find
it anywhere since maxtor bought them. I tried the maxtor version of amset
to no result. Anyone has the quantum version? TIA.

Old December 22nd 04, 04:37 AM
kony

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:18:21 +0800, "Bronney Hui"
wrote:

Hello,

I've been searching for acoustic management util for quantum and can't find
it anywhere since maxtor bought them. I tried the maxtor version of amset
to no result. Anyone has the quantum version? TIA.

I might have it, searching would be easier if I knew whether
it was called "amset.exe" or something else, was it a file
in a larger archival format (like a ZIP) that was named
something other than "amset....", and possibly what the
release date was on it to differentiate it from the Maxtor
version which isn't working for you.

For example, in Oct. 2001 Maxtor offered "SETACM.EXE" which
contained their amset.exe, which is (verbatim):

" for the following hard drive Families (and newer) ONLY:

· DiamondMax 60
· DiamondMax VL 30
· DiamondMax Plus 40 UDMA/100
· DiamondMax 60 UDMA/100
· DiamondMax VL 30 UDMA/100 "

What does the Maxtor version do/not-do when tried?
I'm not even sure the Seagate tool was called AMSET, where
did you see reference that this was the utility's name?

If you'd like to try the 2001 AMSET program, it's he
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/Setacm.zip
CRC:2FD25718

You might also try IBM's Feature Tool (FTool as it used to
be called).
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

I also have an older verison (1.8?) of that, LMK if you want
it too.

Old December 22nd 04, 08:07 AM
Bronney Hui

"kony" ???
???...
wrote:

I might have it, searching would be easier if I knew whether
it was called "amset.exe" or something else, was it a file
in a larger archival format (like a ZIP) that was named
something other than "amset....", and possibly what the
release date was on it to differentiate it from the Maxtor
version which isn't working for you.

It's either amset.exe or setacm.exe. It's definitely a Quantum Drive. The
full name is Quantum Fireball AS40 7200rpm 2MB Cache.

" for the following hard drive Families (and newer) ONLY:

· DiamondMax 60
· DiamondMax VL 30
· DiamondMax Plus 40 UDMA/100
· DiamondMax 60 UDMA/100
· DiamondMax VL 30 UDMA/100 "

This is where I have problems because the DiamondMAX name comes after
they've bought quantum, and I couldn't find it anywhere on web. When I used
Maxtor's most current acoustic management tool, it doesn't recognize my
AS40. I forgot the exact error message but it's something like if you try
to patch the firmware to a wrong drive, "something no recognized".

If you'd like to try the 2001 AMSET program, it's he
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/Setacm.zip
CRC:2FD25718

Thanks mate, will give this a try.

You might also try IBM's Feature Tool (FTool as it used to
be called).
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

I also have an older verison (1.8?) of that, LMK if you want
it too.

No thanks, it's definately not IBM. (deathstar) hehe.

Old December 22nd 04, 09:08 AM
kony

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:07:03 +0800, "Bronney Hui"
wrote:

"kony" ???
???...
wrote:

I might have it, searching would be easier if I knew whether
it was called "amset.exe" or something else, was it a file
in a larger archival format (like a ZIP) that was named
something other than "amset....", and possibly what the
release date was on it to differentiate it from the Maxtor
version which isn't working for you.

It's either amset.exe or setacm.exe. It's definitely a Quantum Drive. The
full name is Quantum Fireball AS40 7200rpm 2MB Cache.

I suspect the same util that works for a DiamondMax D740X
would work, as it was mostly if not entirely Quantum
technology, even looked a lot more like a Quantum than a
Maxtor.

" for the following hard drive Families (and newer) ONLY:

· DiamondMax 60
· DiamondMax VL 30
· DiamondMax Plus 40 UDMA/100
· DiamondMax 60 UDMA/100
· DiamondMax VL 30 UDMA/100 "

This is where I have problems because the DiamondMAX name comes after
they've bought quantum, and I couldn't find it anywhere on web.

No, "DiamondMax" was used long before that, don't recall
exactly when they started using it but there were 2GB
Diamondmax drives at the very least. IIRC, the Diamondmax
Plus 60 was the last generation (or nearly so) before
Quantum was acquired. I also recall selling several
DiamondMax 40 (~8GB) in '98.

When I used
Maxtor's most current acoustic management tool, it doesn't recognize my
AS40. I forgot the exact error message but it's something like if you try
to patch the firmware to a wrong drive, "something no recognized".

Is it connected to a motherboard IDE channel or a controller
card? You might reduce it to simplest config possible,
drive alone jumpered as master with no other IDE devices
connected to motherboard and/or PCI controllers.

If you'd like to try the 2001 AMSET program, it's he
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/Setacm.zip
CRC:2FD25718

Thanks mate, will give this a try.

You might also try IBM's Feature Tool (FTool as it used to
be called).
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

I also have an older verison (1.8?) of that, LMK if you want
it too.

No thanks, it's definately not IBM. (deathstar) hehe.

It's been a while but I'm fairly sure I used FTool to set
ACM on a Diamondmax, either 20 or 40GB drive, I'm just not
entirely sure which generation it was, best guess is
something between 1999 and 2002... Not that the Maxtor
utility was tried and didn't work, it was an experiment
using the IBM FTool and it did work, but too many drives ago
it happened and now the details escape me, except that it
was definitely an older verison of the FTool than the one
provided on that link I posted. The FTool I used did not
require an IBM drive detection to allow changes (to another,
non-IBM drive). YMMV, use at your own risk as I've not
tested it on that particular drive.

My point in the last post was that I don't think there is
any utility for Seagate drives called AMSET, that AMSET is
entirely a Maxtor utility that would only apply to a Quantum
drive due to Maxtor's acquisition of Quantum, else it just
happened to work on Quantum drives too, similarly to how the
IBM tool also worked on other drive(s).

Perhaps it's a silly question, but are you sure the Quantum
drive even supports acoustic management (changes)?
If you run the Maxtor diagnostics on the drive, do they
"see" it?
Old December 22nd 04, 09:51 AM
Bronney Hui

"kony" ???
???...
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:07:03 +0800, "Bronney Hui"

Is it connected to a motherboard IDE channel or a controller
card? You might reduce it to simplest config possible,
drive alone jumpered as master with no other IDE devices
connected to motherboard and/or PCI controllers.

It's my primary master and not on a controller card.

Perhaps it's a silly question, but are you sure the Quantum
drive even supports acoustic management (changes)?
If you run the Maxtor diagnostics on the drive, do they
"see" it?

Yup sissoft says AM enabled, that's why my quantum is much quieter than
the hitachi on slave. And I am trying to turn it off so it seeks faster.