PCI Voodoo 5500 card

Old May 4th 04, 09:27 PM
Sigmun

Default PCI Voodoo 5500 card

hi,

what is the best WinXP driver for my PCI Voodoo 5500 card ?

don't know which driver to download from http://www.voodoofiles.com/

thanks in advance

Old May 4th 04, 10:26 PM
Cerridwen

Sigmun wrote:
hi,

what is the best WinXP driver for my PCI Voodoo 5500 card ?

don't know which driver to download from http://www.voodoofiles.com/

thanks in advance

The answer's simple - buy a new card! You will *NOT* have any success
getting something that old to work successfully with XP. You can get a 9600
for under £100. Pointless hanging onto old technology with a new OS - makes
me wonder what the rest of your system is like!

Old May 4th 04, 10:31 PM
Alex

Why do you instantly assume it's his main card? it COULD be just to power a
2nd monitor ... (chances are it's not but hey .....) :-p I got a banshee
as my 2nd card - my main is a Geforce FX5600 - what's the big deal?

Old May 4th 04, 10:39 PM
Sigmun

"Cerridwen" wrote in message

The answer's simple - buy a new card!

but this is a old system for my son, the motherboard doesn't have AGP slot.

Old May 4th 04, 11:14 PM
Cerridwen

Sigmun wrote:
"Cerridwen" wrote in message

The answer's simple - buy a new card!

but this is a old system for my son, the motherboard doesn't have AGP
slot.

And how am I supposed to know that?! Why are you running XP on it? Does he
really need XP? Does the rest of the system meet the recommended specs?

Old May 5th 04, 01:19 AM
~misfit~

Cerridwen wrote:
Sigmun wrote:
"Cerridwen" wrote in message

The answer's simple - buy a new card!

but this is a old system for my son, the motherboard doesn't have AGP
slot.

And how am I supposed to know that?!

With respect Cerridwen, you're not expected to know, nor do you need to. g
He asked a simple question (which I am unable to answer BTW) that requred a
simple answer. I have nothing but respect for you but this last post of
yours is a bit draconian don't you think? He didn't ask "What AGP card
should I get?" or "Please belittle me for trying to get an older machine
running for my son".

Why are you running XP on it?
Does he really need XP? Does the rest of the system meet the
recommended specs?

Once again, not the point at issue. I have ran XP on several machines
without AGP slots (usually el-cheapo boards with built-in graphics) that are
running CPU's in the 500Mhz-1Ghz range and 256MB+ of RAM, plenty fast enough
for XP (with the eye-candy turned off) but the graphics can be a bit
under-spec for some, admittedly older games that the Voodoo might handle
fine. I imagine the kid has a bunch of games, as do I, that he paid a lot of
money for a while ago, and he still wants to play them. I'd run 98SE on it
personally if that is in fact the case. However, he may have 'inherited'
this (originall business-oriented) system and it comes with XP. Or 98SE may
not be available, or the OP may not want to go to the trouble of installing
a different OS, or......... Whatever, it has nothing to do with his
question.

Shrug. The guy just wants a driver recommendation, not the Spanish
inquisition. Sometimes we loose sight of the fact that some people are
working with less-than-state-of-the-art hardware which, however, may still
be perfectly servicable.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

Old May 5th 04, 01:24 AM
~misfit~

Sigmun wrote:
hi,

what is the best WinXP driver for my PCI Voodoo 5500 card ?

don't know which driver to download from http://www.voodoofiles.com/

thanks in advance

Hi Sigmun,

I don't know. However, if don't get the answer you need here I suggest you
put a little time aside and do a Google search using the keywords "Voodoo
5500 driver" and "XP". It may take a while but I'm sure you'll find your
answer eventually.

Try here, it looks like your answer is only a click or two away:

http://www.google.co.nz/search?sourc...UTF-8&q=Voodoo
+5500+driver+XP

Driver version 1.08.00-XP jumps out straight away.

Regards,
--
~misfit~