Denied! Computer RAM does not DO Dual Channel MODE

Old March 9th 07, 02:27 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Teknowbabble

Default Denied! Computer RAM does not DO Dual Channel MODE

I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
Mode."

OK, I thought. I wont panic yet.

I looked at my motherboard spec and saw that I didnt have the DIMMs in
the right order. Ive got 4 slots, A0 A1 B0 B1. Initially I tried A0 A1
and that didnt work. So I tried A0 B0 and ...
"SINGLE CHANNEL MODE."

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Now I want to take hostages!

Here's my setup:
- Intel Motherboard: D865GBF (socket 478)

- P4 2.8 ghz (with hyperthreading) 800 FSB

- RAM (512 MB x 2)

1rst stick -- Crucial CT6464Z40B.16FG
(32MB x 8)/(32 x 8) 16 SDRAM Chips

2nd Stick -- Crucial CT6464z40B.8TDY
(64MB x 8) 8 SDRAM Chips

** 4GB RAM Max allowed on Motherboard

- Windows XP Pro with SP2

Here's what my motherboard spec has to say about DIMMs and Channels.

Examples of Dual Channel Configuration with Dynamic Mode
Throughput Highest to Lowest
Dual Channel with Dynamic Mode --- All DIMMs matched

Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode --- DIMMs matched from Channel A to
Channel B

Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode --- DIMMs not matched within
channels

Single Channel with Dynamic Mode --- Single DIMM or DIMMs matched
within a channel

Single Channel without Dynamic Mode --- DIMMs not matched
************************************************** *************************

Basically Im getting that my Memory Sticks are not matched. Is it
because Ive got 8 Chips on one Stick and 16 Chips on the other? Its
the same basic model or at least I thought.

Now Im not sure what to do. Ive got a brand new stick that doesnt do
dual channel mode which is why I bought it originally. Doing a return
is costly and timely. Ive contemplated bartering with local computer
shops to see if they could give me a deal. Ive also thought about
selling one of the sticks or both and just buying another "matched
pair" outright.

Any ideas?

Teknowbabble

Old March 9th 07, 04:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Peter Lykkegaard

Teknowbabble wrote:

I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
Mode."

Any ideas?

Match pairs - or at least two stick as to each other as possible
But I would always choose match pairs above single sticks

- Peter

--
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*!
Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!

Old March 9th 07, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
Teknowbabble wrote:
I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
Mode."
Any ideas?

Match pairs - or at least two stick as to each other as possible
But I would always choose match pairs above single sticks
- Peter

Yup, must be identical pairs (same exact timings) and often best if the
factory also certified them as a "matched dual-channel set". Place them
into the same colored slots, usually 1+3 and 2+4.

But don't worry adout it too much, in the real world dual channel really
doesn't make that much of a diff, most apps are nowhere near mem-bandwidth
strapped. If you have a raid disk setup it might help there tho... [still
only talking a few % points improvement].
Old March 9th 07, 07:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave[_4_]

On 9 Mar 2007 05:27:45 -0800, "Teknowbabble"
wrote:

I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
Mode."

OK, I thought. I wont panic yet.

I looked at my motherboard spec and saw that I didnt have the DIMMs in
the right order. Ive got 4 slots, A0 A1 B0 B1. Initially I tried A0 A1
and that didnt work. So I tried A0 B0 and ...
"SINGLE CHANNEL MODE."

Right on matched pairs. Dual channel mobos generally default to single
channel operation if the pairs are not matched. So your mobo is
behaving as it should.

"Dual Channel without Dynamic Mode --- DIMMs not matched within
channels"

I think this is the case you were hoping would work. I
think----THINK-- this refers to matching density and not necessarily
module capacity. This is assumes density is defined as the capacity of
each dram unit (chip) as opposed to total module capacity. A recent
conversation with Crucial suggests this.

Open to correction....
Dave H
Old March 9th 07, 07:48 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flyer

"Teknowbabble" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just stuck in my neeeewww stick of Crucial 512 MB PC3200 (DDR400)
into my system, when up flashes, the ominous words, "Single Channel
Mode."

OK, I thought. I wont panic yet.

Now Im not sure what to do. Ive got a brand new stick that doesnt do
dual channel mode which is why I bought it originally. Doing a return
is costly and timely. Ive contemplated bartering with local computer
shops to see if they could give me a deal. Ive also thought about
selling one of the sticks or both and just buying another "matched
pair" outright.

I was under the impression, borne out by personal experience, that dual
channel working usually requires two matched memory chips. Most of the big
memory mfrs sell matched pairs, for dual channel working.
I use Corsair's TwinX brand..

P.

Old March 9th 07, 08:02 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

I was under the impression, borne out by personal experience, that dual
channel working usually requires two matched memory chips. Most of the big
memory mfrs sell matched pairs, for dual channel working.
I use Corsair's TwinX brand..

P.

No, and it's dangerous to spread that rumor. Dual channel requires two RAM
boards with similar specifications, but not necessarily the same model, or
even the same brand.

HOWEVER, that didn't stop unscrupulous memory manufacturers from trying to
profit underhandedly from the dual channel feature.

What I've seen quite often is, brand X will package two of memory stick Y
and set price Z (cost of 2Y), using "dual channel kit" as a flimsy excuse
for price gouging.

That is, 1GB (one stick) is $100 (for example)
Dual channel kit of 2 X 1GB is $230 (for example)
If you buy the (one) dual channel kit you get EXACTLY what you'd get if you
bought (two) of the 1GB sticks. So as you can see, the math doesn't
compute.

There is nothing special about RAM that is used in dual channel mode. It is
RAM. The chipset uses two RAM sticks as one really wide stick, to slightly
increase bandwidth/memory performance. The RAM is identical, whether you
install one stick or two, and whether you purchase single sticks or a dual
channel "kit". But if you bought the dual channel kit, you might possibly
have paid too much. -Dave

Old March 9th 07, 09:38 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Teknowbabble wrote:
[...]

The evidence they are not matched, is right there in the "16FG"
and the "8TDY" of the part numbers. The first DIMM has 16 chips
and the second DIMM has 8 chips. The first DIMM is made with
32Mx8 chips and the second DIMM is made with 64Mx8 chips. It looks
like the pricing at the component level, must now favor using the
larger memory chips (because I saw mention of an 8 chip Crucial
512MB stick a couple days ago).

A while back, there were a couple 512MB single sided DIMMs, but
they seemed to disappear (probably because they cost more and
weren't competitive). Up to this point, 512MB sticks were more
or less uniformly 16 chip designs, with 32Mx8 chips. But now that
Crucial is shipping that kind of stuff, we'll have to warn people
of the possibility of the mixing of the two kinds of stock. I
hope this doesn't become a popular trend with the manufacturers.
(Not that I think an 8 chip DIMM is bad - it should be better
for overclocking :-) )

Paul

Old March 10th 07, 12:54 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW[_2_]

To insure dual channel mode you SHOULD buy a MATCHED set of 2 RAM sticks RAM
from a vendor. They sell them that way specifically because dual channel
mode requires two ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL RAM sticks in order to work stabley.

--
_________
DaveW

Old March 10th 07, 01:04 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"DaveW" wrote in message
. ..
To insure dual channel mode you SHOULD buy a MATCHED set of 2 RAM sticks
RAM from a vendor. They sell them that way specifically because dual
channel mode requires two ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL RAM sticks in order to work
stabley.

Well, that's the vicious rumor that people insist on spreading anyway

Old March 10th 07, 02:34 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
McFly

Teknowbabble,

Do you know the speed rating of your first RAM? Google CPU-Z and run
it. If the orignal RAM and your new RAM have the same speed rating,
double channel should work...

-fly-