read only drive in Xp pro

Old March 15th 07, 10:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default read only drive in Xp pro

Hi all
I have 2 hard drives installed on my machine,
1st drive is the sys drive; I am using the second drive for music
pictures video etc
Because of partition corruption on the 2nd drive, I'm running
restoration software to search for my lost files.

is it possible to make the drive read only ? I don't want XP to cash
thumbnails on it, write the ini files of each folder, write the
recycler folders, etc because I am afraid of possible data loss.

Thank you in advance

Sharon

Old March 16th 07, 07:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Mar 16, 6:32Â*am, Frank McCoy wrote:
In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt wrote:
Hi all
I have 2 hard drives installed on my machine,
1st drive is the sys drive; I am using the second drive for music
pictures video etc
Because of partition corruption on the 2nd drive, I'm running
restoration software to search for my lost files.

is it possible to make the drive read only ? I don't want XP to cash
thumbnails on it, write the ini files of each folder, write the
recycler folders, etc because I am afraid of possible data loss.

Thank you in advance

Sharon

Well, as a suggestion:
You can share the drive on the local network (if you have one), not
check the "allow network users to change my files" box; then *only*
access the drive yourself through the network; perhaps attaching it as
another lettered drive.

Don't know if that would work or not; but it's what I'd try first.

--
Â* Â* _____
Â* Â* Â*/ Â*' Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* / â„¢

Thank you for the idea,
I think that the recovery software "Recover My Files" won’t work on a
net drive,
Also it’s the egg and chicken problem, how can I prevent the other
computer from saving information on my drive?

Old March 16th 07, 09:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all
I have 2 hard drives installed on my machine,
1st drive is the sys drive; I am using the second drive for music
pictures video etc
Because of partition corruption on the 2nd drive, I'm running
restoration software to search for my lost files.

is it possible to make the drive read only ? I don't want XP to cash
thumbnails on it, write the ini files of each folder, write the
recycler folders, etc because I am afraid of possible data loss.

Best thing to to is run your data recovery application...
and don't use the machine for anything else during that time.
do not so much as use windows explorer to even look at the 2nd drive

Old March 16th 07, 09:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Marcel Overweel

schreef in bericht
ps.com...
Hi all
I have 2 hard drives installed on my machine,
1st drive is the sys drive; I am using the second drive for music
pictures video etc
Because of partition corruption on the 2nd drive, I'm running
restoration software to search for my lost files.

is it possible to make the drive read only ? I don't want XP to cash
thumbnails on it, write the ini files of each folder, write the
recycler folders, etc because I am afraid of possible data loss.

Thank you in advance

Sharon

You can disable the thumbnail caching in Windows XP:

Tools / Folder options / View / Do not cache thumbnails
if I remember it correctly (I'm not on XP right now)
By the way, XP only builds thumbnail files when you are
browsing with the explorer or 'my computer'.

Don't know how to turn of the other automatic files/folders
but you can change the max. size of the recycle bin or set it
to disabled for each individual drive.

Just don't do anything on that drive other than running the
repair software.
Maybe it's better to just run the repair and don't touch
anything while the repair process is running.
Also disable the screensaver and any powersaving that
might be active.

regards,
Marcel

Old March 16th 07, 04:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Frank McCoy

[...]

Have you tried Spinrite?
Actually, I don't think most recovery software will work on *any* drive
they can't write to. ;-{

Also it’s the egg and chicken problem, how can I prevent the other
computer from saving information on my drive?

Generally, as long as you don't have "find fast" or similar utilities
running on your main computer, then it only looks at the other drives
when booting up. I make it a habit to disable or remove any and all
such utilities, including especially "indexing" from Micro$hit. Startup
Manager (Part of the Aptiva Toolbox [free]) does a great job of handling
such things. They cause *more* ****ty problems; especially when you
connect a new drive; sometimes bringing Windows almost to a halt while
they go "find" things you don't want them to look for in the first
place. Supposedly, that's to "help" you.

Kind of like "Government Service" is there to help you ... Somewhat like
a bull "services" a cow; but without the fun.

--
_____
/ ' / â„¢
Old March 16th 07, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Frank McCoy

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt "Dean G."

Hi all
I have 2 hard drives installed on my machine,
1st drive is the sys drive; I am using the second drive for music
pictures video etc
Because of partition corruption on the 2nd drive, I'm running
restoration software to search for my lost files.

is it possible to make the drive read only ? I don't want XP to cash
thumbnails on it, write the ini files of each folder, write the
recycler folders, etc because I am afraid of possible data loss.

Log on as the administrator.
Go to "my computer".
Right click on the drive in question and choose properties.
Go to the security tab.
For each user or group at the top, check "deny" for full control,
write, modify, and special (if not greyed out).

Dean G.

Hmmm ... Doesn't work in Home edition. No "security" tab.
Perhaps because I only have me as a user, and I am the administrator?

--
_____
/ ' / â„¢
Old March 16th 07, 11:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dean G.

Frank McCoy wrote:
[...]

Yes, by default XP Home uses a simpler set up.

However, you can turn it off and get the advanced options.

See :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

Dean G.