Gigabyte GA - SINXP 394 P4 Titan + Dying SATA HDD's?

Old January 10th 07, 07:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,nz.comp,alt.computer
[email protected]

Default Gigabyte GA - SINXP 394 P4 Titan + Dying SATA HDD's?

Hi Guys,

Got a Gigabyte GA SINXP - 394 P4 Titan running WinXP SP2.

It had been running fine for a long time with a 120gig SATA HDD, which
I think uses the Silicon Image controller. The 120gig had been close to
capacity when the computer stopped booting and was getting BSOD during
windows load.

Plugged the drive into another PC and it stated that the drive was not
formatted. Managed to get a lot of data back though with a data
recovery program. It also stated that there was I/O errors on a sector.

Went out and brought a new 400gig SATA drive - plugged it in and loaded
up WinXP again, was all looking ok, had loaded XP ok and was loading
Nero, when again the drive crashed.

We now plug in that 400Gig drive into another PC and it says 0 free
bytes and file system raw.

It would seem strange for a SATA controller to die, I am thinking maybe
cable? But would appreciate any suggestions on this one.

Cheers

-Al

Old January 10th 07, 10:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,nz.comp,alt.computer
Justin Brown - SYNACS

Weird.. yes, if you have a spare SATA cable lying around swap that out.
The other thing I would look at is power delivery to the drive. Are
there any splitters, fan power inserts, or anything else between the
PSU cable and the drive?

Old January 10th 07, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,nz.comp,alt.computer
[email protected]

Have unplugged all extra devices.

Additionally I have just discovered a large yellow exclamation mark in
device manager next to the Sil Image SATA controller.

Error Code 39.

HTH

-Al

Old January 11th 07, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,nz.comp,alt.computer
[email protected]

A bit more detal.

A scan on the new 400gig sata shows 8 bad sectors.

The Sil Image SCSI/Raid controller shows error 19 (bad registry entry?)
but I am not too converned about this since this drive should just be
using the non raid IDE SATA controller which should appear in device
manager under:

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Will keep testing....

Cheers

-Al

Blue wrote:
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:21:59 -0800, Justin Brown - SYNACS wrote:

Weird.. yes, if you have a spare SATA cable lying around swap that out.
The other thing I would look at is power delivery to the drive. Are
there any splitters, fan power inserts, or anything else between the
PSU cable and the drive?

While we on this line of thought, the power supply is not playing up?

Old January 13th 07, 08:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,nz.comp,alt.computer
[email protected]

Looks like it was the PSU. Days before all this started to happen they
had plugged ANOTHER device into the USB port. It took a few days before
the bad sectors hit a important file and the PC stopped booting.

-Al

Mark Robinson wrote:
wrote:
A bit more detal.

A scan on the new 400gig sata shows 8 bad sectors.

Which sectors ?

The Sil Image SCSI/Raid controller shows error 19 (bad registry entry?)
but I am not too converned about this since this drive should just be
using the non raid IDE SATA controller which should appear in device
manager under:

Hmmm