Working theory: MS update KB904706 updates Creator burn engine plug-in,screws up Easy CD Creator 3.5.x

Old January 14th 06, 05:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,alt.cd-rom,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

Default Working theory: MS update KB904706 updates Creator burn engine plug-in,screws up Easy CD Creator 3.5.x

I am writing this under a new subject line. For more background on
this issue, please look at my original post and subsequent thread (Jan
11/2006) with subject:

Easy CD Creator 5.3 doesn't work any more (E80041916: TrackWriter
error - Insufficient memory) ???

-------------------

I believe that Microsoft WindowsUpdate KB904706 (MS05-050) performed
on several Windows-98 machines (with Windows Media Player 9) has
caused pre-existing installations of Roxio Easy CD Creator (ECDC)
V3.5.x to malfunction, resulting in error E80041916 when attempting to
burn data onto CD-R's. These computers did not have the some-what
well known "AdaptecBlock" registry key (see below). I suspect that on
these computers, WMP-9 and ECDC were able to co-exist without that key
because WMP9 was installed and updated before ECDC 3.5.x was
installed. Note - CD-burning from WMP was never attempted on these
computers but that is a low or non-existant requirement.

I am now exploring just how to identify the particular burn-engine
plug-in files that ECDC is using and see if they are indeed different
than what it was previously using, and if so how to undo this
situation without re-installing ECDC.

In researching this issue, I have come across references to
"roxizap.exe" which is supposed to completely remove previously
uninstalled versions of ECDC in order to re-install it. Most
web-links to roxizap.exe seem to be non functional, however I did
manage to download roxizap.exe from this link:

http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe

Microsoft indicates that there are problems relating to ECDC and WMP
as described he

-----------------
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...e.aspx#adaptec

Adaptec (Roxio) Easy CD Creator driver incompatibility

Microsoft is aware of driver compatibility issues caused by
installing Windows Media Player 7.1 on a computer running
Windows 2000 and any version of Adaptec (Roxio) Easy CD
Creator earlier than 4.02, including version 3.5. This is
because the CD recording feature of Windows Media Player 7.1
is based on a later version of the Adaptec (Roxio) Easy CD
Creator engine plug-in, which delivers greater quality and
stability when copying (burning) audio CDs. If a version of
Adaptec (Roxio) Easy CD Creator earlier than 4.02 is installed,
the Adaptec (Roxio) CD-Burning Plug-in cannot be installed.
If you want to install Windows Media Player 7.1, including
the Adaptec (Roxio) CD-Burning Plug-in on a computer running
Windows 2000 and a version of Easy CD Creator earlier than
4.02, do one of the following:

Remove Easy CD Creator from your hard disk before installing
Windows Media Player 7.1.
Upgrade to the latest version of Easy CD Creator before
installing Windows Media Player 7.1.

(...)
-----------------

Microsoft does not indicate if Windows 98 is similarly affected, but I
suspect that is a typical oversight on their part regarding Windows 98
issues. (bonus question: Would a fully-updated installation of
Windows XP that also has WMP and ECDC 3.5.x also be vulnerable to
CD-Burning Plug-in mis-matches?)

Additional searches have turned up links to this page:

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

But that page no longer exists. Luckily, there is a google cached
version (but for how long will this work?):

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...d/pss/pss.html

From that page, we have the following:

----------
Q: I have Adaptec EZCD Creator 3.5 installed on Windows 2000 and...
A: According to Adaptec, this is very bad. Uninstall Adaptec 3.5. If
you really want to keep Adaptec 3.5 on W2K, only install WMP from the
normal download site. If you do install the Adaptec CD-Burning Plug-in
on top of Adaptec EZCD Creator 3.5, your system will not boot. Your
system will not start until you use DOS to get rid of
c:\winnt\system32\drivers\cdralw2k.sys and
c:\winnt\system32\drivers\cdr4_2k.sys . The 7.0.0.1956 release of WMP7
prevents you from getting into this situation by blocking install of
Adaptec if any incompatible software is found.

Q: How do I uninstall the Adaptec/Roxio CD Burning plug-in?
A: If you're using Windows Media Player 7: Go the Add/Remove Control
Panel and select "Windows Media Player 7". Check "Adaptec CD-Burning
Plugin" and then click Next. Or ... run :
rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
%windir%\inf\adaptec.inf,Uninstall

If you're using Windows Media Player 9 Series: run :
rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\roxio.inf,Uninstall
(If that doesn't work, replace %windows% with the path to your Windows
directory (c:\windows or such).)

Q: How do I block WMP from ever installing the Adaptec/Roxio
CD-Burning Plug-in?
A: Run this reg file, and only install WMP7.1 or later. WMP7.0 will
ignore the flag that this registry file sets. Note that this will
permanently block WMP's installation of the Adaptec CD-Burning
Plug-in, but if you're having problems with it, this is probably the
right thing to do.
-----------

Similarly, this page doesn't exist:

http://zachd.com/pss/adaptecblock.reg

But a cached version of that page says:

----------
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ Setup]
"AdaptecBlock"="1"
---------

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that "AdaptecBlock" is a string
variable (ie not a number).

Here are some details on the suspect update from Microsoft:

KB904706 (MS05-050):
Vulnerability in DirectShow could allow remote code execution
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904706/en-us
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms05-050.mspx

http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cve...=CAN-2005-2128

Description QUARTZ.DLL in Microsoft Windows Media Player 9
allows remote attackers to write a null byte to arbitrary
memory via an AVI file with a crafted strn element with a
modified length value.

http://www.eeye.com/html/research/ad...20051011a.html

Windows Media Player 9 uses QUARTZ.DLL to decode and play
AVI movie files. Due to a lack of validation, QUARTZ can
be made to store a null byte to an arbitrary memory
location by creating a malformed "strn" element with a
specifically chosen length field.

As I said above, I am looking for information that will tell me how to
determine if a newer (and incompatible) version of Adaptec CD-Burning
Plug-in has been installed and is causing the burn errors I am
seeing. I would much rather re-arrange or re-register specific
drivers or files rather than have to re-install ECDC. Comments
welcome.
Old January 14th 06, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,alt.cd-rom,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Old January 15th 06, 04:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,alt.cd-rom,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

CD Guy wrote:
I am writing this under a new subject line. For more background on
this issue, please look at my original post and subsequent thread (Jan
11/2006) with subject:

Easy CD Creator 5.3 doesn't work any more (E80041916: TrackWriter
error - Insufficient memory) ???

-------------------

I believe that Microsoft WindowsUpdate KB904706 (MS05-050) performed
on several Windows-98 machines (with Windows Media Player 9) has

As I have told you in the other thread the only active change that KB904706
did was to replace the quartz.dll with a modified one - I even took the
time and uploaded the original and gave it to you to put back (btw you're
welcome) ..but did you try it? I highly doubt that is your problem
anyway.

IMO, your ezcdc problem is that you have done a few Automatic Windows
Updates, maybe other things, on your machine and although you have a rough
idea via the WU log of what it did - you have no idea of all the changes
files/registry that were done. If you had software tracked it in the first
place then you would be able to see the mi-nute details of what was done
'and then' would be able to resolve - trying to do it after the fact
'sometimes' can be like searching for a needle in a haystack.

caused pre-existing installations of Roxio Easy CD Creator (ECDC)
V3.5.x to malfunction, resulting in error E80041916 when attempting to

Not v3.5, you mean 5.35 right

burn data onto CD-R's. These computers did not have the some-what
well known "AdaptecBlock" registry key (see below). I suspect that on
these computers, WMP-9 and ECDC were able to co-exist without that key
because WMP9 was installed and updated before ECDC 3.5.x was

Yes that could very well be the reason why for that.

installed. Note - CD-burning from WMP was never attempted on these
computers but that is a low or non-existant requirement.

I am now exploring just how to identify the particular burn-engine
plug-in files that ECDC is using and see if they are indeed different
than what it was previously using, and if so how to undo this
situation without re-installing ECDC.

As I said before you just don't realize what you're asking here.
The full installation resulting in v5.3.5.10 makes many many many file
changes and hundreds more registry changes, for you or anyone to try and
blindly identify if a few files or it even could of taken one registry
change out of the thousand from the install to cause your problem. While I
respect your tenacity to want to know the answer, the truth is unless you
had used software tracking over that period - it is unlikely you or anyone
else could pull the magic answer out of a hat for you. I do have the
complete tracking of every single thing that this ezcdc install does, as
well as WMP9 (which it's changes were even more extensive to say the least)
...but to try and pull out of a hat what some 'unknown' automatic WU changes
that did to disrupt your ezcdc process 'without having a tracking snapshot
of that whole event' is quite the impossible task - but again with tracking
it would be as easy and childs play.

In researching this issue, I have come across references to
"roxizap.exe" which is supposed to completely remove previously
uninstalled versions of ECDC in order to re-install it. Most
web-links to roxizap.exe seem to be non functional, however I did
manage to download roxizap.exe from this link:

http://tools.roxio.com/support/tools/roxizap.exe

That tool is designed for v6 and up but may work for v5, however the proper
way to uninstall it first is to use from the standard 9x Control Panel from
its Add/Remove section find ezcdc listed there and uninstall it; however,
imho you do not need to uninstall ezcdc, you only need to simply
overinstall it to rewrite itself ! ..and would take 2 minutes to do. It's
very likely at the time you actually go to reinstall ezcdc on top of itself
it will give you a prompt that looks like this, and I'd recommend you
do as outlined on my screenshot he
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8070/modify4xm.gif
..you have the Basic version though and some options may be slightly
different - you should have the Platinum version.

Microsoft indicates that there are problems relating to ECDC and WMP
as described he

Yes that's all old news, but these days the you don't use WMP7 and why
would you! However if you want to install the better WMP v9 on 9x then
the only way it should be done 'if' you have ezcdc installed is to First
merge the roxioblock.reg file first, and do not use WU to install WMP9 and
that has been said many times throughout the years (when it comes to using
ezcdc anyway, and the reason is that the online installation does things
unwanted that affects ezcdc that the standalone installer does not) ..but
instead separately download the v9 installer to your computer and then
install it from there. Here's the link to get the v9 installer:
Windows Media Player 9 Series (for Windows 98 SE, Me, and 2000)
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...99/MPSetup.exe
Found on this page:
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...wnloads.aspx?d
isplang=en&qstechnology=)

[...]

Zach closed down his site for a number of reasons.
If you want you can save that webpage simply by while you are on it, go to
your top tab of File SaveAs ..and toggle in the web page type box to
where it says ....MHT ..and then you will have your own offline webpage of
what it says.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...d/pss/pss.html

From that page, we have the following:

[...snips...]

Similarly, this page doesn't exist:

http://zachd.com/pss/adaptecblock.reg

But a cached version of that page says:

----------
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ Setup]
"AdaptecBlock"="1"
---------

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that "AdaptecBlock" is a string
variable (ie not a number).

It's a StringValue with the ValueData being a number, but why not just make
the reg and merge it.. ..you see, when I gave that info to you in your
with notepad and rename it to a reg extension and merge it, if you don't
know how then it's best if you just get it and merge it and it will do it
automatically for you - here, I've temporarily uploaded Zachs very same
original adaptecblock.reg to my website in a .zip and you can download that
he http://www.ptcnh.net/~rdchauvin/adaptecblock.zip
..but remember this key needs to be present BeFore WMP9 is ever installed
in the first place, and so you would have to uninstall it via CP A/R and
reboot, and then merge the reg file, and then reinstall the offline version
of WMP9 (but first of course try the overinstall of ezcdc)

Here are some details on the suspect update from Microsoft:

KB904706 (MS05-050):
Vulnerability in DirectShow could allow remote code execution
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904706/en-us
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms05-050.mspx

http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cve...=CAN-2005-2128

Description QUARTZ.DLL in Microsoft Windows Media Player 9
allows remote attackers to write a null byte to arbitrary
memory via an AVI file with a crafted strn element with a
modified length value.

http://www.eeye.com/html/research/ad...20051011a.html

Windows Media Player 9 uses QUARTZ.DLL to decode and play
AVI movie files. Due to a lack of validation, QUARTZ can
be made to store a null byte to an arbitrary memory
location by creating a malformed "strn" element with a
specifically chosen length field.

Yes but as I pointed out earlier in this thread and your other post, and
even gave you the previous quartz.dll to replace and that didn't solve your
problem did it, so why bring this up again? ..imo, WU updated a lot more
than you think it did or have a record of..

As I said above, I am looking for information that will tell me how to
determine if a newer (and incompatible) version of Adaptec CD-Burning
Plug-in has been installed and is causing the burn errors I am
seeing. I would much rather re-arrange or re-register specific
drivers or files rather than have to re-install ECDC. Comments
welcome.

Sure I could outline all of file/registry changes that a full ezcdc v5
install does and I have it all listed and logged, but realistically I don't
think you realize what could have been involved in what broke your ezcdc
install, l mean to try and find the few little changes that were made to
your specific setup that broke it, without using tracking, is like trying
to find a needle in a haystack, and as I said before instead of files it
could of easily have been some obscure registry changes that did it - and
again and again without the comparative ability and accuracy of a software
tracker, you or anybody else will have a slim chance of trying to find what
did it by blindly looking through files and/or raw registry data - do you
realize what my meaning is here? I'm not blaming you, but my point is
valid.

Which of the hundred files from the original installation of ezcdc do you
want to see, and which folder:
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/5793/files2cj.gif

Which of the thousand registry folders/key changes do you want to know
about that it wrote, that I can't even begin to be shown on a single page
screenshot, let alone if I expanded the folder keys:
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/3711/registry5ho.gif

Your logical choice at this point is simply do an overinstall of ezcdc as
pointed out earlier in this reply.

Rick

Old January 16th 06, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,alt.cd-rom,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

Default Working theory: MS update KB904706 updates Creator burn engineplug-in, screws up Easy CD Creator 5.3.x

Just a note. My original subject line refered to ECDC version 3.5 -
that was a typo. These posts refer to version 5.3.x.

Executive summary:

I still don't know why 4 installations of ECDC 5.3.5.x out of 7 on
identical computers are giving errors within the past 4 weeks when
trying to burn data CD's. I have had negative confirmation that the
KB904706 update from Microsoft is the cause.

I have, however, replicated the error condition after re-installing
ECDC on one system and applying either driveup5.3.5u.exe or
driveup5.3.5v.exe. I have done extensive file and registry
comparisons before and after the application of driveup5.3.5u.exe and
can't identify changes made to any file or registry values, so I don't
know what exactly driveup5.3.5u.exe is doing.

In the mean time, I will remove and re-install ECDC on the affected
systems and leave them at version 5.3.5.10.

Unless I am not able to replicate the re-installation of a functional
ECDC on the remaining systems, this will probably be my last post on
this matter.

-----------------------------

Details:

I cloned a drive from a system where ECDC is still working, and have
applied these 4 pending MS Updates to the clone:

KB904706
KB896358
KB891711
KB908519

KB904706 was applied first. After each update, a test data burn was
performed ECDC. The test was successful in all cases.

I was not able to fully replicate the desired update pattern from
WindowsUpdate because some cumulative updates to IE are no longer
offered (nor could I locate them for manual download). Those would be
KB890923, KB896688, KB883939 and KB896727.

I then went to one of the other systems still exhibiting the burn
error. I uninstalled ECDC, ran roxizap, and then re-installed Easy CD
Creator Basic 5.3.0.107. Test burns were then successful.

Test burns were also successful after upgrading to version 5.3.5.10
(ecdc_v5.3.5.10_basic_enu.exe). However, I have independantly
confirmed that applying driveup5.3.5u.exe or driveup5.3.5v.exe (after
first upgrading to 5.3.5.10) returns the error condition in question.

Just for the record, the CDRW drive is:
LG GCE-8481B
Manufacture date: October 2002
Original ROM version: 1.10
Current ROM version: 2.03 (April 2004?)

While performing these re-installations and patch applications, I
created copies of all adaptec/roxio files separately for each version
level. The files were taken from these directories:

windows\system\
windows\system\iosubsys
Program Files\Roxio
Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec

There were over 200 files in total (most are image bitmaps). A
file-compare process was done between revision level 5.3.5.10 and
5.3.5.10u. No differences were found.

A comparison was done (manually) with registry keys located in these
sections:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adaptec\Adaptec Shared\
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Adaptec\Adaptec Shared\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adaptec\Adaptec Shared\

Other than the trivial change in the CD Creator version number key,
the only difference I found was during the upgrade from 5.3.0.107 to
5.3.5.10 - which added these values under this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adaptec\Adaptec Shared\CDEngine\Advanced

DefaultODSC = 1
DefaultPowerRec = 1
DefaultSmartBurnJustSpeed = 1

Bottom line:
If driveup5.3.5u.exe made any changes to any files or any registry
entries - then I didn't spot them.

Other notes:

Not that it matters, but Roxizap does not delete these files located
in \system\iosubsys:
- crdpwd.vxd, Cdudf.vxd, Cdudfrw.vxd, and Udfreadr.vxd

The following registry entries were also not touched by roxizap:

HKCR\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\Components\Info rmational\cdburn_roxio
plugin
HKCR\Software\CLASSES\Microsoft\Multimedia\Compone nts\Informational\cdburn_roxioplugin

Both the above have links to:
\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Roxio\wmburn.exe
\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Roxio\wmburn.rxc
\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Roxio\rsl.dll

Properties for wmburn.exe:
- Private Build Description: D
- Product Name: Roxio CD Burning Applet for WMP
- Product Version: 2.0.44
- Size: 831,488 bytes
- File date: Oct 3, 2002 (?)

Properties for rsl.dll:
- file version: 1.03.30
- Private Build Description: 4
- File date: Oct 3, 2002 (?)

I don't think that wmburn.exe or rsl.dll have anything to do with (or
interfere with) ECDC.

Roxizap also doesn't touch these items (and corresponding CLSID's)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adaptec.CDEngineMain
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adaptec.CDEngineMain.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adaptec.EasyCDACMWrapperV2
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adaptec.EasyCDACMWrapperV2.5
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adaptec.EasyCDPlayerV2
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Adaptec.EasyCDPlayerV2.5

And a whole bunch of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Creator keys.
Old January 16th 06, 11:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,alt.cd-rom,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

CD Guy wrote:
[...]

I'm speechless..

-----------------------------

[...]

That LG GCE-8481B drive is not listed in any DriveUpdate that they have
done - - - the LG GCE-8527B 'is' listed.

[...]

Then change your glasses
The fact is there are many changes made with each DriveUpdate typically
50 - 100, but I've already given you the answer of what a DriveUpdate does,
but if you are trying to see, compare, or extrapolate any changes done by
doing it manually then you are wasting your time since the only sane,
practical, and Accurate way to track any changes is to use software
tracking; if you don't use software tracking then don't bother because it's
absolutely fruitless.

Old January 17th 06, 12:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,alt.cd-rom,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

Rick Chauvin wrote:

Just for the record, the CDRW drive is:
LG GCE-8481B

That LG GCE-8481B drive is not listed in any DriveUpdate that
they have done - - - the LG GCE-8527B 'is' listed.

Then why does the application of 5.3.5.10u or v cause this burn error?

Bottom line:
If driveup5.3.5u.exe made any changes to any files or
any registry entries - then I didn't spot them.

The fact is there are many changes made with each DriveUpdate
typically 50 - 100, but I've already given you the answer of
what a DriveUpdate does,

Why don't just tell me WHICH FILES or WHICH REGISTRY ENTRIES are
changed by the application of 5.3.5.10u or 5.3.5.10v?

but if you are trying to see, compare, or extrapolate any
changes done by doing it manually then you are wasting your
time since the only sane,

In how many places does ECDC store things in the registry? I've
posted some locations - why don't you fill in what I've missed?

What software do you use to track registry changes, and what has been
your experience with what gets changed with the application of
5.3.5.10u or 5.3.5.10v?

And PS:

On two computers so far, I have NOT been able to install a functional
version of ECDC 5.3.x (even the basic 5.3.0.107) even after using
roxizap. In one case, I've even transplanted the above-mentioned LG
drive into one of them.
Old January 17th 06, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr,comp.publish.cdrom.software,alt.cd-rom,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion

By the way, when I put links into my messages, from where you are posting
and reading do you see them as clickable and use them ? ? ? ?

CD Guy wrote:
Rick Chauvin wrote:

Just for the record, the CDRW drive is:
LG GCE-8481B

That LG GCE-8481B drive is not listed in any DriveUpdate that
they have done - - - the LG GCE-8527B 'is' listed.

Then why does the application of 5.3.5.10u or v cause this burn error?

You said that, but I'm not saying that causes the error, I only said above
out of those two drives you mentioned only one was ever actually listed as
supported in their program, but remember I did tell you in a previous
message that just because a drive is not listed does not necessarly mean
ezcdc won't run it, but instead ezcdc puts it on a default burn status,
which is fine in most cases, but not all.

The fact is there are many changes made with each DriveUpdate
typically 50 - 100, but I've already given you the answer of
what a DriveUpdate does,

Why don't just tell me WHICH FILES or WHICH REGISTRY ENTRIES are
changed by the application of 5.3.5.10u or 5.3.5.10v?

I've given you plenty of answers already but you forget and seem to ask me
the same thing again that I've already addressed. Mr CD Guy I will tell
you anything you want to know - you just need to hear what I have been
telling you, but somehow it seems to me anyway you are not listening to
what I am saying, or perhaps you only only hear what you want to - but
one thing is for sure I have tried pretty darn hard and put at lot of
effort into helping you whether you realize it or not - which btw I feel
like you don't!? I'm not your personal maid.

I've told you previously that the only thing that a DriveUpdate does is add
more drives to it's support list, that's all, and it's cumulative; so for
instance 'u' has all the supported drives for all the a, b, c, d. e, etc
versions that came before it up to that point, and v has all those same
drives already, but only adds new ones. You are asking me which files or
registry entries are changed by the u update right - there are absolutely
no files changed by the DriveUpdates at all, but as mentioned only registry
entries for newly added supported drives. Now my previous screenshots give
you other answers you asked for whether you had realized it I don't know
but they were not random screenshots of nothing, they were screenshots of
the software trackers GUI that I use that actually did all the
installations you are talking about, and I have all the browseable logs of
all those events right down to the mi-nutest detail. You ask what changes
were made in the 'v' update and here is my actual tracking screenshot
showing exactly what changes were made with 'v'
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3880/driveupv9vk.gif
..in that I can only open one regsitry folder at a time so had to make a
copy of the other two folder keys under that to show their contents.

You said you wanted to see previous of v which is 'u' ...then here that
is: http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3811/driveupu9ef.gif

..but you see now the DriveUpdate is only Drive Update entries.
Having said and showed you all that - it does nOt mean in any way that a
DriveUpdate is the cause of your problem, but yes 'maybe' there is a chance
in some way that somewhere in the cumulative updates that something was
introduced that caused your problem. If that's the case the don't install
any DriveUpdates and just leave the stock drive update that is already
included in your original install, for instance your basic install includes
a DriveUpdate in it, and if that works then stop right there - the Only
reason to install a later DriveUpdate is if you have a drive that is not
supported beforehand but a new Update now covers it, otherwise don't.
Looking through all the A-V updates I can see that your LG GCE-8527B just
happens to be added in the 'u' version. If by chance that the DriveUpdate
u version breaks your unit then don't install it - as mentioned stop
updating drives when it works okay. I've already told you the other day
yours is listed under device 293. Maybe your drives like using the default
burn portion.

but if you are trying to see, compare, or extrapolate any
changes done by doing it manually then you are wasting your
time since the only sane,

In how many places does ECDC store things in the registry? I've
posted some locations - why don't you fill in what I've missed?

Why don't you see that my previous screenshots showed you exactly those
answers? ..however the registry entries one was so large I could not
expand the registry folders to be contained in one screenshot so left
unexpanded you see the main folder key location; realize also just like in
real life I can only show one registry or file folder at a time on a
screenshot and so what which folder or folder key on the left is
highlighted represents the items listed on the right.

The main install creates a thousand registry entries and natually I can't
show you each and every folder key in the open position at the same time.

What software do you use to track registry changes, and what has been
your experience with what gets changed with the application of
5.3.5.10u or 5.3.5.10v?

I've graciously showed you that answer in almost all the screenshot I've
given! Those screenshots are the actual install changes as shown by the
software tracker that I use, and you can see on the top of each screenshot
the actual install that it represents! Why do you think I was showing you
those in the first place! ...But a heads-up with that, sure you can go and
download the uninstaller I use (which I call tracking software since that's
all I use it for) but it certainly has a learning curve depending on the
person, and it may drive some crazy until you learn how to use it
proficiently. I don't use any of the kiddy fluff features in it, I only
use a very few features in it to Create and Save snapshots. It's one of
the best I've seen so far, but that's just imho only.
Ashampoo UnInstaller Suite (v1.32, 09/03/2002)
http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/pro...&idstring=0103
Direct download link of a Trial Version
http://www.ashampoo.com/internet/dow...r_suite_se.exe
I don't recommend later versions advertised on 9x, but v132se is perfect.

And PS:

On two computers so far, I have NOT been able to install a functional
version of ECDC 5.3.x (even the basic 5.3.0.107) even after using

I told you not to use roxiozap didn't I, and I told you why!
I also told you to uninstall ezcdc via in CP A/R selections

roxizap. In one case, I've even transplanted the above-mentioned LG
drive into one of them.

Importantly also remember I told you the other day if you install ezcdc and
it doesn't fix it then you need to uninstall WMP9 and reboot, and then
reinstall ezcdc as outlined in the other days screenshot you never
acknowledged, aamof you never acknowledged any of them?

All of this makes the problem all the more elusive and hard to figure out
what caused it doesn't. I honestly do not know the answer. I do know you
have vacillated to different assumptions when you were trying to pinpoint
what caused it, but honestly and sincerely without having tracked all the
install events, preferable singly, but even if it was a weekly snapshot, it
still would give you a fighting chance.

If you still have a computer setup that works properly with ezcdc don't
mess with to break it as that may be your only ace in the hole going
forward to isolate the problem.

Now in closing lets put this in perspective - This old EasyCDCreatror v5
(custom installed) on 9x is a really nice program yes and is adequate and
fits nicely, BUT, it's very old and out of date now and does not support
any of these new drives that are out, and if you install other burning
programs at the same time it will break it, etc, etc, so it's not even in
the running lineup to ever install this old ezcdc v5,35 anymore. However
that disclaimer said though, I have 5.35 installed on 9x on a brandnew
computer, and even before, and it has always worked very great for me.

Rick