setting maybe obvious for you, but.... (sempron 2,4 + K7s41

Old October 9th 05, 02:16 PM
jf

Default setting maybe obvious for you, but.... (sempron 2,4 + K7s41

Hi u all,

I've just changed my motherboard to a K7s41 with an Sempron 2.4Ghz -
Windows refuses to start, but fortunately, Linux runs . But at boot time, I
can read 1000 Mhz ( 100 x 10 ) as CPU Frequency !
I've searched all around on the net and in the manual, but I really don't
understand what I must do .
The FSB jumers are set for 200 Mhz on the board, and the Bios FSB actual
Frequency is 100 Mhz .
Should I set the jumpers to 266 , 333 ? And then change the FSB value in the
BIOS to obtain 1667 ?
I don't want to overclock it, just have it work at its speed

Thanks in advance,
jf
Old October 9th 05, 02:32 PM
jf

jf wrote:

Hi u all,

I've just changed my motherboard to a K7s41 with an Sempron 2.4Ghz -
Windows refuses to start, but fortunately, Linux runs . But at boot time,
I can read 1000 Mhz ( 100 x 10 ) as CPU Frequency !
I've searched all around on the net and in the manual, but I really don't
understand what I must do .
The FSB jumers are set for 200 Mhz on the board, and the Bios FSB actual
Frequency is 100 Mhz .
Should I set the jumpers to 266 , 333 ? And then change the FSB value in
the BIOS to obtain 1667 ?
I don't want to overclock it, just have it work at its speed

Thanks in advance,
jf

If I set the jumpers to 333 - I get na actual FSB 166,5 Mhz ; then I'll get
166,5 x 10 = 1665 , Am I right ?
And what about overheating ? I live in Mauritius, temperature today is 31° ,
and at the moment the CPU temp is about 47° !! If I change the settings,
how high will it be ??

thanks again,
jf
Old October 9th 05, 03:55 PM
Cuzman

jf wrote:

" If I set the jumpers to 333 - I get na actual FSB 166,5 Mhz ; then
I'll get 166,5 x 10 = 1665 , Am I right ? "

The K7S41 DDR rate is 400/333/266/200 , but the FSB of the CPU will be
set to half of that. http://www.asrock.com/product/product_k7s41.htm

Your Sempron is not 2.4GHz, as stated in your first post, but should be
set to run at 1.66GHz (166 x 10).
http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html#semp
Old October 9th 05, 04:24 PM
jf

Cuzman wrote:

jf wrote:

" If I set the jumpers to 333 - I get na actual FSB 166,5 Mhz ; then
I'll get 166,5 x 10 = 1665 , Am I right ? "

The K7S41 DDR rate is 400/333/266/200 , but the FSB of the CPU will be
set to half of that. http://www.asrock.com/product/product_k7s41.htm

Your Sempron is not 2.4GHz, as stated in your first post, but should be
set to run at 1.66GHz (166 x 10).
http://www.thedigerati.us/info/amdcpuchart.html#semp

Thanks for your answer . In fact I understood it like that; and I finally
tried to set the fsb jumpers for 333, and it works : the cpu is now
correctly identified and the boot msg tells 'sempron 2400+ at 1666 Mhz (166
x 10 ) .
By the way, I know i'm not on the 'good' newsgroup, but.... : my linux box
still worke like a charm, but Windows doesn't start, the system reboot
before any display shows on (I've tried the safe modes, same thing !) Any
idea, anyone ??

thanks,
jf

Old October 10th 05, 01:06 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 17:16:41 +0400, jf wrote:

Hi u all,

I've just changed my motherboard to a K7s41 with an Sempron 2.4Ghz -
Windows refuses to start, but fortunately, Linux runs . But at boot time,
I can read 1000 Mhz ( 100 x 10 ) as CPU Frequency ! I've searched all
around on the net and in the manual, but I really don't understand what I
must do .
The FSB jumers are set for 200 Mhz on the board, and the Bios FSB actual
Frequency is 100 Mhz .
Should I set the jumpers to 266 , 333 ? And then change the FSB value in
the BIOS to obtain 1667 ?
I don't want to overclock it, just have it work at its speed

Yeah you do. It's underclocked as is at default speed. set FSB to 200MHz
for a cpu speed of 2000MHz (10x200) (athlon XP 2400+ speed). And if you
can get the FSB up to 233MHz, that would be even better. If you just have
to have it a default clock, set FSB to 166MHz.

Thanks in advance,
jf