My Dream PC -- Silent, Cold, and Motionless

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 24th 07, 04:01 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,comp.dsp
Radium[_2_]

Default My Dream PC -- Silent, Cold, and Motionless

Hi:

I wonder if it is possible to design a PC that does not reqiure any
fans or discs.

This computer uses RAM chips -- instead of magnetic discs -- in to
store information and does not need a CPU because each bit of
information is provided with a processing unit and its own memory.
This would make the PC run much faster and not need any fans or moving
parts. It is entirely chip-based. Since each bit is provided with its
own memory and processing, this would prevent crashes or overheating
from occuring.

Also, couldn't a PC be built in such a way that it freshly generates
the correct electric signals ["on the fly"] instead of playing them
back from its ROM chips?

Its not that I don't like ROM. I was curious as to whether there is an
"on the fly" alternative that freshly-generates the electronic signals
[that are normally stored in ROMs] instead of playing them back from
the ROM.

There are sets of instructions stored in ROMs. In the case of a PC,
these instructions load before the CPU "knows" it has a hard drive or
other peripheral devices. Couldn't those instructions be generated in
real-time insteading of storing them?

I am aware that EEPROM is reliable, low power, customizable, reprogram-
able, cheap and proven. But just out of curiosity, my dream PC is hard-
coded [thus not needing any ROM] and also uses RAM chips -- instead of
magnetic discs -- in to store information and does not need a CPU
because each bit of information is provided with a processing unit and
its own memory. This would make the PC run much faster and not need
any fans or moving parts. It is entirely chip-based. Since each bit is
provided with its own memory and processing, this would prevent
crashes or overheating from occurring.

Other specs are below. The stuff below also do not need any ROM memory
because they are physically-built to generate the signals which
correspond to the following.

OS: Windows 98SE
Browser: Mozilla Suite 1.8b

No fans, no discs, no moving parts, no ROM [except for the CD/DVD
recording/playing and re-writing].

IOW, my dream PC would work perfectly but would not need any moving
parts, discs, or fans. The "HDD" would consists of silicon RAM chips
in place of disc-platters and electric parts in place of magnetic
parts. No moving parts, no noise, no fans, no magnets, no hazardous
heat.

To put it simply, what I am describing is a PC that does not need to
store any information because all of the signal codings for the info
is generated in real-time.

The following is a bad analogy but I'll add it anyway.

PC reading info from memory = sample playback synth playing back its
samples of sounds of an FM synth.

PC generating its signals in real-time = an *actual* FM synth freshly-
generating its tones "on the fly".

Yes, I know, the above is a poor analogy but I couldn't think of
anything better.

Thanks,

Radium

My Dream PC -- Silent, Cold, and Motionless Radium[_2_] General 18 March 27th 07 11:47 AM
Web-masters DREAM monstertmp General 0 November 21st 06 02:11 PM
dream star leigh holman Overclocking 6 January 6th 04 05:20 PM
All in wonder printers still a dream? Joel Printers 1 November 22nd 03 02:30 PM
My Dream Computer NBK Asus Motherboards 6 June 27th 03 11:31 PM