INtel raid

Old November 7th 03, 04:31 AM
colt45

Default INtel raid

how exactly do you set up a raid0 for 3 or more drives on the intel sata
controller?

Old November 8th 03, 01:38 AM
mark7dc

I suggest you download the instructions from Intel:

http://www.intel.com/support/

Old November 8th 03, 05:37 PM
colt45

OK, I probably could look for another couple of hours for the right link to
the instructions.... But I thought that I could get some simple directions
from you experts.

I have raid0 with 2 drives set up. However, I was curious about additional
drives. On my 8KNXP I have the INTEL sata and the SIL sata. Is there a SATA
cable that has two locations like the older IDE drive cables?

Old November 8th 03, 08:32 PM
Kilgore Trout Jr

I am not an expert but I believe the following to be true:
Each SATA drive needs its' own cable to the motherboard. The GA-8KNXP
supports up to four SATA drives using the two built-in SATA controllers. You
can set them up as four independent drives or use pairs of drives in RAID 0
or RAID 1 configurations. Neither of the controllers support RAID sets with
more than two drives. This board will also support up to eight PATA drives
with the built-in IDE controllers. PATA drives on the ITE "GigaRaid"
controller can also be set up as independent drives or as RAID sets. It is
theoretically possible to run 12 hard drives off this MB!

Old November 8th 03, 11:09 PM
colt45

That is the kind of info I was looking for.
So, in order to RAID additional SATA drives, I have to now use the SIL
controller since I have my original INTEL SATA already committed with 2 WD
drives...? I think that is what my conclusion should be.
thanks,

ink.net...

Old November 9th 03, 12:05 AM
Kilgore Trout Jr

You got it. You will need to enable the H/W SATA Controller (i.e. Silicon
Image) in the BIOS. If you're just adding one more drive or you want to be
able to access two more independent drives, set it up as Base. Windows will
find new hardware and you'll have to load the driver from the Gigabyte
utility disk or download the newest drivers from the SI website.
http://12.24.47.40/display/2/index.a...=2&r=0.7280084

Old November 9th 03, 02:51 AM
colt45

Tim, the only limitation of the PCI controller is that it uses the PCI bus
at 66mhz, you will not get the full POTENTIAL of the true SATA 150MB
transfer speed.

"colt45" wrote in message ...
how exactly do you set up a raid0 for 3 or more drives on the intel sata
controller?

How I built a 2.8TB RAID storage array Yeechang Lee Homebuilt PC's 31 February 22nd 05 07:40 PM
HELP: P4C800-E Deluxe, Intel RAID and Windows detection problems Michail Pappas Asus Motherboards 2 November 20th 04 04:18 AM
IDE RAID Ted Dawson Asus Motherboards 29 September 21st 04 03:39 AM
Desperately need help installing OS with RAID on an Intel mobo Nate Homebuilt PC's 15 January 1st 04 08:17 PM
RAID and non-RAID combination Howard Gigabyte Motherboards 3 October 4th 03 11:54 AM