External hard drives and cases

Old November 20th 04, 09:50 PM
Pete

Default External hard drives and cases

Hello,

I have a notebook PC with a 40Gb internal HD, and I need much more
space. I am looking for an external HD of between 100 - 200 Gb that will
support 1394 firewire and or USB1.1. After searching the net, I am
confused by all the options that assume too much prior knowledge. For
instance, there are 2.5" cases and 3.5" cases and plain external hard
drives with firewire, USB 2 and 1.1 support.

Here are my questions:

What do the cases hold? Do they hold internal-type hard drives - the
ones that you would ordinarily put inside your PC?
What is the relevance of the 2.5 and 3.5" types?
Is it better to get a firewire HD (I have a 1394 connection) than run it
through my USB1.1 port?
What suggestions do you have for an appropriate HD.

Thanks for helping out.

--
All the best,
Pete

Home Page: http://users.bigpond.com/lansma
Location: 42°53'S; 147°19'E

Old November 20th 04, 10:05 PM
Noozer

"Pete" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a notebook PC with a 40Gb internal HD, and I need much more
space. I am looking for an external HD of between 100 - 200 Gb that will
support 1394 firewire and or USB1.1. After searching the net, I am
confused by all the options that assume too much prior knowledge. For
instance, there are 2.5" cases and 3.5" cases and plain external hard
drives with firewire, USB 2 and 1.1 support.

USB 1.1 is MUCH to slow for a hard drive. Not worth the trouble.

Enclosures come in many sizes... 2.5" will hold a laptop sized hard drive
and will usually get power from the USB/Firewire port so an external power
supply isn't needed. The enclosures can be found cheaply but the hard drives
are limited in size and are relatively expensive.

A 3.5" will hold a standard sized hard drive a uses an external power
supply.

A 5.25" will hold a standard hard drive or a CD/DVD drive and also uses and
external power supply. These are the most versatile, but are also relatively
large. These are also easy to find.

Now you need to decide how portable you want this drive and what you plan to
do with it in future.... DEFINTATELY go with Firewire over USB 1.1. Firewire
does usually cost more than USB, but it works better. USB 2.0 is an option
if you want to get a PCMCIA card for the laptop, but it's an added expense
and Firewire is still superior to it.

Old November 20th 04, 10:22 PM
David Maynard

Pete wrote:

Hello,

I have a notebook PC with a 40Gb internal HD, and I need much more
space. I am looking for an external HD of between 100 - 200 Gb that will
support 1394 firewire and or USB1.1. After searching the net, I am
confused by all the options that assume too much prior knowledge. For
instance, there are 2.5" cases and 3.5" cases and plain external hard
drives with firewire, USB 2 and 1.1 support.

Here are my questions:

What do the cases hold? Do they hold internal-type hard drives - the
ones that you would ordinarily put inside your PC?

Generally speaking, yes. IDE type.

What is the relevance of the 2.5 and 3.5" types?

2.5" : notebook drive
3.5" : desktop drive.

Is it better to get a firewire HD (I have a 1394 connection) than run it
through my USB1.1 port?

USB1.1 'high speed' is 12 Mbps and 'low speed' is 1.5 Mbps. Firewire is 400
Mbps.

What suggestions do you have for an appropriate HD.

Depends on what 'features' you want. If you want to carry it along with the
notebook then size and weight might be an important consideration and you'd
probably want a 2.5 inch. It speed were an over-riding concern then you'd
probably want 3.5 inch.

Thanks for helping out.

Old November 21st 04, 10:20 PM
None

"Pete" wrote in news:__Ond.43248$K7.39686@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...123-116&depa=0

Old November 21st 04, 11:32 PM
Dee

None wrote:

"Pete" wrote in news:__Ond.43248$K7.39686@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

Here are my questions:

What do the cases hold? Do they hold internal-type hard drives - the
ones that you would ordinarily put inside your PC?
What is the relevance of the 2.5 and 3.5" types?
Is it better to get a firewire HD (I have a 1394 connection) than run it
through my USB1.1 port?
What suggestions do you have for an appropriate HD.

Thanks for helping out.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...123-116&depa=0

My suggestion is that you start by reading up on the whole subject and
at least give the appearance you have some idea what you're talking about!!!

Based on what you have posted, you don't know Jack Schitt!!!

Old November 22nd 04, 05:58 PM
Richard Kawamura

It all depends on how portable, (2.5", 3.5", 5¼" drives and cases, in order
of size, small to large.) you need and how fast a data transfer rate
(firewire, USB 2.0, 1.1, in order of speed, fast to not as fast) you need.
On the other hand there is the cost factor, smaller is usually more
expensive per GB.

Richard

Old November 23rd 04, 02:09 PM
bearman

"Dee" wrote in message
None wrote:

"Pete" wrote in news:__Ond.43248$K7.39686@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

Here are my questions:

What do the cases hold? Do they hold internal-type hard drives - the
ones that you would ordinarily put inside your PC?
What is the relevance of the 2.5 and 3.5" types?
Is it better to get a firewire HD (I have a 1394 connection) than run it
through my USB1.1 port?
What suggestions do you have for an appropriate HD.

Thanks for helping out.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...123-116&depa=0

My suggestion is that you start by reading up on the whole subject and
at least give the appearance you have some idea what you're talking

about!!!

Based on what you have posted, you don't know Jack Schitt!!!

He knows enough to ask some questions. What's the purpose of this newsgroup
if not to find out things?

Bearman

--
If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.

Old November 28th 04, 01:36 AM
MisterSkippy

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:32:20 -0500, Dee wrote:

None wrote:

"Pete" wrote in news:__Ond.43248$K7.39686@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

Here are my questions:

What do the cases hold? Do they hold internal-type hard drives - the
ones that you would ordinarily put inside your PC?
What is the relevance of the 2.5 and 3.5" types?
Is it better to get a firewire HD (I have a 1394 connection) than run it
through my USB1.1 port?
What suggestions do you have for an appropriate HD.

Thanks for helping out.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...123-116&depa=0

My suggestion is that you start by reading up on the whole subject and
at least give the appearance you have some idea what you're talking about!!!

Based on what you have posted, you don't know Jack Schitt!!!

Plonk!
Author killfiled for rudeness. Opinions worthless.

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's
constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into
his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."
- Justice William O. Douglas