ASUS SABERTOOTH X58: I dont succeed to install new Chipset.

Old June 14th 11, 12:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Default ASUS SABERTOOTH X58: I dont succeed to install new Chipset.

wrote:
Do you have two RAID drives connected to the Marvell controller
right now ?

Can you tell me how can I check if there are two RAID0 connected to
the Marvell controller right now?
In Storage Controller I have:

Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID
Controller v.10.1.0.1008

JMicron JMB36X Controller v.1.17.56.2

Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller v. 1.2.0.1002

They refer to a "Marvell RAID Utility" or MRU here. Do you have
something with MRU in its name on your computer ?

http://www.marvell.com/products/stor...ct_brief. pdf

I can find a reference to an installer like this. Presumably
this has MRU in it.

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...arvell_mru.exe

(I found the reference on this page.)
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...-c300-ssd.html

There is a manual for the Marvell RAID Utility here. This manual
will show you what the software looks like. Notice, on page 10,
there is an option to enable a "web service". That would turn your
computer into a web server, for the purpose of being able to
check the Marvell RAID status from another computer, and you don't
need that.

http://download.intel.com/support/mo...aid_manual.pdf

Using my copy of 7ZIP to go through the "motherboard_driver_marvell_mru.exe"
download, I don't see any driver level files, and it looks like that
package relies on the software you have already installed.

This is just a guess on my part. You should check your motherboard
CD, use the Windows "Explorer" file manager to examine the CD and
see if there is any software on the CD with the name "MRU" in it.
That would be the Asus equivalent of the package I can see
on the gigabyte.us site.

The MRU software should be able to tell you how many disks are
connected to the Marvell controller. I don't really know how
a disk would be listed in Device Manager, if it was connected
to the Marvell. It could appear as an ordinary disk, or it
could be listed as a "SCSI" device.

Paul
Old June 14th 11, 02:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Paul,
for me is difficult to interpret what you write me. I'm enoug
inexperienced man and I am afraid to make the situation worse.
I can tell you before installing that new driver:
Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller v. 1.2.0.1002
on Toolbar (windows 7 on the bottom dx) there is an icon device with
features of a pen with this writing: "Marvell RAID VD 0 SCSI disk
device". When I have installed the newer driver that icon has
disappear. Perhaps do it means I don't have RAID0 anymore?
Now on "Storage Controller" I have clicked on that new driver
"Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller " and that icon has appeared again.
I think now I have RAID0. Do I make a mistake?

Old June 14th 11, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
Paul,
for me is difficult to interpret what you write me. I'm enoug
inexperienced man and I am afraid to make the situation worse.
I can tell you before installing that new driver:
Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller v. 1.2.0.1002
on Toolbar (windows 7 on the bottom dx) there is an icon device with
features of a pen with this writing: "Marvell RAID VD 0 SCSI disk
device". When I have installed the newer driver that icon has
disappear. Perhaps do it means I don't have RAID0 anymore?
Now on "Storage Controller" I have clicked on that new driver
"Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller " and that icon has appeared again.
I think now I have RAID0. Do I make a mistake?

The quality of my information isn't good. I don't know
the right answer to making your RAID work!

*******

As far as I can tell, the chip itself supports IDE and AHCI.
You may see those options in the BIOS. The BIOS doesn't
support a RAID option as such, when you look at the BIOS setup
page. What the BIOS options in that case do, is load Plug and Play
information into a chip register, so that Windows will discover
the information later during boot up.

The Asus BIOS, when you press "Control-M" during the startup
of the computer, that should show you the Marvell RAID BIOS
screen. It allows setting up a RAID array. Perhaps you've already
used that, and defined an array of two disks. Now, that is
a separate issue from Plug and Play. The Control-M offers
a way to write "metadata", the desired RAID configuration,
and that is recorded on each disk's platters.

Notice that those two BIOS functions, are not consistent with one
another. One setup screen offers IDE and AHCI, but doesn't
have an option to enable or disable the RAID (control-M) function.

Asus also uses terms like Drive Xpert and SuperSpeed, and I
can't figure out how that fits into the picture. Those would
correspond to RAID 1 mirror and RAID 0 stripe options on a normal
RAID. But pressing Control-M and using the BIOS Marvell panel
to set up the RAID, seems to be all that is really needed.

Now, in Windows, the MRU package provides the same kind
of control, as the BIOS "control-M" function. The MRU
software should allow you to see what RAID mode has been
defined for the disks.

If I go back and look at this driver...

Marvell91XX_V1201002_VistaWin7_WHQL.zip

mvs91xx.inf

%mvs91xxDesc%=mvs91xx_Inst,PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_91A2&C C_0101 --- 0101=IDE
%mvs91xxDesc%=mvs91xx_Inst,PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_9128&C C_0106 --- 0106=AHCI

%mvs91xxrDesc%=mvs91xx_Inst,PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_9192& CC_0104 --- 0104=RAID
%mvs91xxrDesc%=mvs91xx_Inst,PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_9191& CC_0104 RAID
%mvs91xxrDesc%=mvs91xx_Inst,PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_91a1& CC_0104 RAID
%mvs91xxrDesc%=mvs91xx_Inst,PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_91a2& CC_0104 RAID
^

The letter "r" is for RAID, but 9192 and 91A2 are not your chip.
Your chip corresponds to the first two entries. So the V1201002
driver appears not to be a RAID driver, using the information in
that INF file.

The last four entries, would cause this to appear in Device Manager.

mvs91xxrDesc= "Marvell 91xx SATA 6G RAID Controller"

Now, if I look at the driver "Marvell9123-9120_V1001042_XpVistaWin7.zip", I see

mv91xx.inf

%mv91xxDesc%=mv91xx_Inst,PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_9128&CC_ 0106
%mv91xxDesc%=mv91xx_Inst,PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_91A8&CC_ 0101

This entry has a RAID class code, but there is no indication it is
being treated that way (there is no Device Manager option to indicate
RAID for this one).

%mv91xxDesc%=mv91xx_Inst,PCI\VEN_1B4B&DEV_9123&CC_ 0104

Now, I can't see how that one supports RAID any better than the other one.
The driver comments mention a "shared library", but I don't understand
the significance of that.

So I cannot tell visually, which of those is a RAID driver. They both appear
to support AHCI, and software RAID has been run on top of AHCI devices,
so that is a possible way to do it. Intel does it partially that way,
as the Intel driver is an AHCI/RAID driver (both in the same package).
But one difference with Intel, is they mark all three modes at
the BIOS level - IDE, AHCI, RAID, and there is probably Plug and Play
information for each one. The Marvell seems to be missing that part.
And then, it appears to be up to the driver, to support RAID.

An ingredient of that, is the BIOS control-M RAID setup page. It
installs RAID information (metadata) on the two hard drives in the
RAID array. The driver in Windows, can see whether metadata has been
written on the drive. And that is how a software RAID implementation
can detect RAID is to be used.

*******

OK, so the next question would be:

"Does the MRU package install, if the wrong driver is currently present?"

Perhaps that is one way for the software installation to avoid problems,
by checking that the right driver is present. Maybe, if you try to install
MRU, it won't work because of that.

If MRU installs, but cannot find a RAID, then you can go back and
try another driver. Use the Add/Remove and remove the old package,
before installing the next one.

All I can suggest now, is try to install the MRU and see what happens.

Paul

Old June 14th 11, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Yes, in motherboard CD there is a Software folder and inside there is
MRU folder and inside there a
AsusSetup, ConsoleSetup and MRUSetup files.
But if with the new driver I already have 2 disk in RAID0 I don't
undestand what I have to make precisely. (I see total size of the
array equals the sum of the parts).

It looks to me, like "Disk 2" is the RAID array.
As near as I can tell. The "VD" refers to a virtual
device. The claimed size of the volume, will help
confirm whether it is RAID 0 or RAID 1. (If it is
a RAID 0 array, the total size of the array equals
the sum of the parts.)

I went back to look at the Sabertooth X58 download page
on the Asus site, and it looks like a missed something.

There are drivers in the "SATA" section. But there is
additional software in the "Utilities" section.

http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...X58&p=1&s= 29

The Windows RAID control package for Marvell would be

Marvell MRU Utility V4.1.0.1610
37,75 (MBytes) 2010.03.26 update

That package looks similar to the one I mentioned in
my other post, the "motherboard_driver_marvell_mru.exe" file.

Check your motherboard CD and see if there is a MRU utility on it.
And if there is not, go back to the support.asus.com site
and download the 37,75 MBytes file and use it.

Paul

Old June 14th 11, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
Yes, in motherboard CD there is a Software folder and inside there is
MRU folder and inside there a
AsusSetup, ConsoleSetup and MRUSetup files.
But if with the new driver I already have 2 disk in RAID0 I don't
undestand what I have to make precisely. (I see total size of the
array equals the sum of the parts).

RAID software comes in two parts.

1) Driver for the operating system.

The driver provides the basics, to make the array work.
You seeing the "virtual array" and the associated information,
says that part is working.

2) RAID Utility (MRU)

The utility allows you to make adjustments to the array.
It allows you to command a "rebuild".
It allows you to delete an array, while in Windows.
It displays the "health" status of the array. "Degraded"
on a RAID 1, implies one of the disks is bad and needs to be
replaced. "Failed" on a RAID 0, means the array is bad, and
at least one of the disks may have failed. RAID 0 has no redundancy,
and instead provides faster transfer speed.

The utility also has functions, such as sending email, or allowing
the computer status to be checked remotely. For example, if you leave
your computer running, and a disk in the array fails, the utility has
a service that can send an email, announcing the problem to you
at a remote location. If you are in another city, and have access to
email, you may receive the email from your other computer, telling
you the computer is "sick".

So the MRU, which is a much larger install file, provides a program
you can use, to check your array and see how it is doing.

The array must have some version of (1). The item in (2) is optional,
but without it, you may have trouble understanding what your disks
are doing.

The disk status can also be checked in the BIOS, by pressing control-M.
You may already have been in that BIOS screen, to set up the array.
The health information may also be displayed in there (for when your
OS is broken, and the computer cannot boot any more).

HTH,
Paul
Old June 15th 11, 09:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

2) RAID Utility (MRU)

1)
I have just installed:
Marvell MRU Utility V4.1.0.1610
37,75 (MBytes) 2010.03.26 update
On Desktop now I see a red icon "MarvellTray".
If I click on it, it opens a Firefox or Internet Explorer with these
writings:
There was a problem with the website's security certificate. That link
is:
https://localhost:8443/MRU/JumpPage....e&reqID=848724
and the page is off-line.

2)
When I picked up the new PC from the shop, I saw on Toolbar (on the
bottom) an icone with USB appearance it was "Safely Remove Hardware".
I clicked on it and there are these writings:
"Marvell RAID VD 0 SCSI disk device"
I asked to technical why there is that icon and he told me it was the
RAID0 and it was impossible to take away it.
NOW..... yesterday I have installed the newer driver and that icon on
the Toolbar has disappeared. Perhaps do I have problems with RAID0 or
may be RAID0 there isn't?
In fact on "Storage Controller" ... if I click on that new driver
"Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller " and install again the previous
driver, that icon appears again.
Why do I get it, please?

Old June 15th 11, 03:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
2) RAID Utility (MRU)

1)
I have just installed:
[...]

If you use an AHCI driver for a single disk, AHCI supports "Hot Plug",
the ability to use Safely Remove to unplug a drive, or later, to plug
the drive back in and have it detected by Windows. If a computer doesn't
have Hot Plug support set up, then the disks have to be plugged in,
before you turn on the computer power and boot the system.
Then the disks would be detected.

The presence of the icon, suggests to me the driver is AHCI.

If you're operating a RAID array, it would be pretty dangerous
to pull out a drive while the system was running. I'm not sure
that Safely Remove, will offer to remove a RAID disk for you.
If you had a RAID mirror, logically you can unplug one of the
drives, as the other drive has an identical copy of the data.
But when you bring the removed drive back later, you'd be required
to do a "rebuild" to synchronize the disks. So I wouldn't really
be that happy, if I had an actual multi-disk RAID volume, and
Windows put the Safely Remove icon there in the tray area.

Paul

Old June 15th 11, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

I have a Case Cooler master HAF-X with 2 removable drawers :
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6653

I'll tell you right now:

In the top drawer there is a hardrive with OS

Lower there is a second drawer with a second hardrive with another OS
but it is
disconnected

In short, when I surf in Internet I use an OS
When I do editing I use another OS
I remove the top drawer (with the OS) and put it
below (disconnected), then I take second and I put it above (with
another OS) and I do editing video.
I invert the drawers (but lower one is always disconnected.
This is an option that gives the Case Cooler Master HAF-X.
Then I have the internal hardrives that you already know.
Perhaps my PC will need that icon on the Toolbar
which allowed to eject an array?

2) RAID Utility (MRU)

1)
I have just installed:

Old June 15th 11, 10:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
I have a Case Cooler master HAF-X with 2 removable drawers :
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6653

I'll tell you right now:

In the top drawer there is a hardrive with OS

Lower there is a second drawer with a second hardrive with another OS
but it is
disconnected

In short, when I surf in Internet I use an OS
When I do editing I use another OS
I remove the top drawer (with the OS) and put it
below (disconnected), then I take second and I put it above (with
another OS) and I do editing video.
I invert the drawers (but lower one is always disconnected.
This is an option that gives the Case Cooler Master HAF-X.
Then I have the internal hardrives that you already know.
Perhaps my PC will need that icon on the Toolbar
which allowed to eject an array?

But that would be a single drive. Your OS then, isn't on a
RAID array, if you move a single drive to change the OS.
With the Intel SATA ports, you can operate a single drive,
while using the other ports for RAID.

You need to draw a picture of the wiring. Trace where the
SATA cables go, and which drive is on the ports.

ICH10R ---------- \
---------- \
---------- \____ 3 dual stacks labeled (7) in
---------- / the motherboard manual

Marvell 9128 ---- \____ One dual stack labeled (8) in
---- / the motherboard manual

JMB362 ---------- \____ Two ESATA ports on the back of the computer,

Identify which drive, and their sizes, and the port the drive
is connected to.

Paul