Asus A7N8X

Old October 6th 04, 08:23 PM
MK

Default Asus A7N8X

Hi
I have a Asus A7N8X motherboard with a AMD Athlon CPU (XP2200) and after
installing all the hardware I can't get my PC to boot up (screen stays off),
I tried different Video cards , memory smaller cpu but no luck. Is the cpu
burned out (how can I see if it is ). Please could you help?????????
Nicol

Old October 7th 04, 12:23 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

What has changed since it last worked?
Did you run the CPU without a heatsink and/or fan for any length of time?

Have you tried to change the BIOS settings - maybe you have overclocked it
too far? Try using the jumper to reset the bios. Actually, check this jumber
is not in the wrong place - nothing will boot if that is wrong!

How many and how long are the beeps when you turn the PC on? These should
diagnose the problem. I personally don't know what different numbers of
beeps mean, but there will be somebody, or a web page that does!

GT

Old October 7th 04, 02:06 PM
MK

I did not like the case (Bought a new one) and the PC gave hassles (could
not read the CD roms then hung then worked ). After last night I redid the
system (took it apart and put back again) now it starts-fan on green light
on ,but switches off after 3 seconds -no beeps

I looked at the Manuel and it said CPU XP 2800 or higher. Mine is a XP 2200
could the CPU be too small.

Old October 7th 04, 02:51 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

"MK" wrote in message
I did not like the case (Bought a new one) and the PC gave hassles (could
not read the CD roms then hung then worked ). After last night I redid the
system (took it apart and put back again) now it starts-fan on green light
on ,but switches off after 3 seconds -no beeps

No beeps - is the speaker connected? OK we can't diagnose it that way then:

1. Unlikely, but could be power problem.
I would suggest disconnecting the hard drives and CD drives and use just 1
memory module. See if it switches on then. I doubt it, but it could be that
you are drawing too much power from the new (smaller?) power supply. Maybe
the new power supply is not working properly - take the power supply out of
the old case and try that instead?

2. Accidentally changed something?
Double check all your connections.Is the power to the motherboard connected
tightly? Check the motherboard is not touching the metal on your new case
anywhere. Have you got the jumpers or dip switches set correctly on the
motherboard. A jumper might have fallen off in the move between cases, or
maybe a dip switch was knocked and it is trying to run the wrong FSB or
multiplier setting and the CPU can't cope!

3. CPU problems:
It could be that the heatsink on the processor has been rattled and is not
attached properly, which will have caused the CPU to overheat very quickly.
If the CPU has fried, then I'm afraid its off to the shops for a new one -
but not just yet. I would expect this to be unlikely - most motherboards
have some protection against this - they will shut down before the CPU
overheats to the point of damage.

I looked at the Manuel and it said CPU XP 2800 or higher. Mine is a XP
2200 could the CPU be too small.

No, that is the maximum processor it can handle (or was available for
testing at the time). Besides - the setup worked before in your old case
didn't it?!

Anyone any other ideas?

Old October 7th 04, 10:13 PM

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 19:23:25 GMT, "MK" wrote:

Hi
I have a Asus A7N8X motherboard with a AMD Athlon CPU (XP2200) and after
installing all the hardware I can't get my PC to boot up (screen stays off),
I tried different Video cards , memory smaller cpu but no luck. Is the cpu
burned out (how can I see if it is ). Please could you help?????????
Nicol

Ask for Ben Pope

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...ben+pope&meta=
http://www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
Old October 7th 04, 10:33 PM
homeboi

well how about the screws you used to put the mobo in the case, it could be
shorting sumthing out

Asus a7n8x and Matrox G400 VP General 1 January 31st 04 03:11 AM
Asus A7N8X Deluxe or Abit NF7-S Which? Choosing a MB. James Paraskeva Overclocking AMD Processors 11 November 26th 03 06:16 PM
T-Bred 2600+ & ASUS A7N8X v2.0 Wayne Youngman Overclocking AMD Processors 4 October 24th 03 09:02 AM
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe USB Questions (long) Space--Coyote Overclocking AMD Processors 0 July 25th 03 01:18 PM
Random reboot on asus a7n8x deluxe Bob Overclocking AMD Processors 2 June 24th 03 09:51 PM