temp of AMD64 3500+

Old October 2nd 04, 03:10 PM
no spam

Default temp of AMD64 3500+

Hello,

I have just put together a machine with an AMD64 3500 CPU on an Asus A8V
motherboard. I have not yet finished installing WinXP on it. However,
when I initially checked and adjusted bios settings etc, I noted that the
CPU temp was up 55C. Is that ok for this CPU?

Thanks,
Shane

Old October 2nd 04, 04:58 PM
Glzmo

"no spam" wrote in message
u...
Hello,

I have just put together a machine with an AMD64 3500 CPU on an Asus A8V
motherboard. I have not yet finished installing WinXP on it. However,
when I initially checked and adjusted bios settings etc, I noted that the
CPU temp was up 55C. Is that ok for this CPU?

Thanks,
Shane

My 3500+ is at 43°C in BIOS on the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Mainboard with a
Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu cooler installed, which I thought was on the high side,
as I am used to around 32-35°C of my old P4 3.0GHz HT just sitting there in
BIOS with the same cooler.

Old October 2nd 04, 06:21 PM
Yeremein

I have just put together a machine with an AMD64 3500 CPU on an Asus A8V
motherboard. I have not yet finished installing WinXP on it. However,
when I initially checked and adjusted bios settings etc, I noted that the
CPU temp was up 55C. Is that ok for this CPU?

That's probably fine. My A64 3000+ isn't much cooler in the BIOS,
although it's usually only 30C idle in Windows with Cool'n'Quiet enabled.
Old October 2nd 04, 08:50 PM
Glzmo

"Yeremein" wrote in message
I have just put together a machine with an AMD64 3500 CPU on an Asus A8V
motherboard. I have not yet finished installing WinXP on it. However,
when I initially checked and adjusted bios settings etc, I noted that the
CPU temp was up 55C. Is that ok for this CPU?

That's probably fine. My A64 3000+ isn't much cooler in the BIOS,
although it's usually only 30C idle in Windows with Cool'n'Quiet enabled.

A quick question about Cool'n'Quiet: Is enabling it in the BIOS all I need
to do, or do I have to change any settings in Windows and/or install any
extra software?

Old October 3rd 04, 04:25 PM
Lachoneus

A quick question about Cool'n'Quiet: Is enabling it in the BIOS all I need
to do, or do I have to change any settings in Windows and/or install any
extra software?

1. Enable Cool'n'Quiet in the BIOS.
2. Enable "ACPI 2.0" in the BIOS, if that's an option.
3. Download and install the AMD C'n'Q driver:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont.../Cpudriver.ZIP
4. In Windows, choose the "Minimal Power Management" power scheme.
Old October 3rd 04, 07:31 PM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"Lachoneus" wrote in message
A quick question about Cool'n'Quiet: Is enabling it in the BIOS all I
need to do, or do I have to change any settings in Windows and/or install
any extra software?

1. Enable Cool'n'Quiet in the BIOS.
2. Enable "ACPI 2.0" in the BIOS, if that's an option.
3. Download and install the AMD C'n'Q driver:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont.../Cpudriver.ZIP
4. In Windows, choose the "Minimal Power Management" power scheme.

I'd have to say that sounds like it would slow down the computer.
My ASUS board came with a cooling program, it takes up about 90%
Even some simple programs are slow while running it.

P4's clock themselves down when in heavy use. 29 something 2975.2 or
something.
They most times won't clock down this far.

AMD's can run under warmer temps. then P4's can.
Lets say I leave room temp get over 78ºF then run a bench mark like
SISoftware Sandra 2004 Pro.
The P4 was good with the first 4 runs or so, then started to become
unstable.
After a while 2 or so runs after that, it crashed and restarted.
The AMD ran it either 6 or 8 times before it too crashed.
Now, if I were running both @ stock speeds?
I would have to say the AMD would still last the longest, if it even would
become unstable.
try to just get a P4 to AMD Idle temps@stock speed, it won't happen.
and if you can get it there, it will more then likely be unstable.

Anyways.. Good luck.

Denny. ;-) :-)

Old October 3rd 04, 07:36 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 09:25:11 -0600, Lachoneus wrote:

A quick question about Cool'n'Quiet: Is enabling it in the BIOS all I need
to do, or do I have to change any settings in Windows and/or install any
extra software?

1. Enable Cool'n'Quiet in the BIOS.
2. Enable "ACPI 2.0" in the BIOS, if that's an option.
3. Download and install the AMD C'n'Q driver:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont.../Cpudriver.ZIP
4. In Windows, choose the "Minimal Power Management" power scheme.

And if you don't run WinXP, you can find the other drivers here.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html

Old October 4th 04, 10:18 AM
Glzmo

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2004.10.03.18.33.37.758366@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 09:25:11 -0600, Lachoneus wrote:

A quick question about Cool'n'Quiet: Is enabling it in the BIOS all I
need
to do, or do I have to change any settings in Windows and/or install any
extra software?

1. Enable Cool'n'Quiet in the BIOS.
2. Enable "ACPI 2.0" in the BIOS, if that's an option.
3. Download and install the AMD C'n'Q driver:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont.../Cpudriver.ZIP
4. In Windows, choose the "Minimal Power Management" power scheme.

And if you don't run WinXP, you can find the other drivers here.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...1_9706,00.html

Thanks a bunch. I have enabled Cool'n'Quiet now and I like what I see. My
case and videocard temeprature went down and the PC also doesn't consume as
much power anymore, which is very nice indeed.