Overclocking software for a laptop?

Old June 24th 03, 12:30 AM
Tom Orle

"Tony Sivori" wrote:

SoftFSB, written by H.Oda (who also wrote WCPUID) might allow him to do it.
If SoftFSB recognizes the clock generator on the motherboard, sometimes it
will allow for options that the hardware supports, but which were not
included in the BIOS settings, jumpers or documentation.

Wow - live and learn :-))
I knew there was software that supposedly increased your RAM - but
some turned out to be outright fraudulent products.

-=tom=-
Old June 25th 03, 09:56 AM
JeB

or try CPUFSB, which is still supported and works with a larger range of
motherboards than softFSB, trouble is its shareware though
"Tony Sivori" wrote in message
Tom Orle wrote:
wrote:
Where can I download software to overclock a Pentium
166mhz CPU running on an old laptop (Toshiba Tecra 520CDT)
running Windows 98SE?

I'm not sure of what you ask - OC is a hardware issue. Like changing
frequencies, multipliers or voltage levels. Some BIOSes do all or some
of these items. But I'm not aware of any addon software that does
that. Like, if a motherboard isn't built for a faster FSB, then no
software can do it on its own.

SoftFSB, written by H.Oda (who also wrote WCPUID) might allow him to do

it.
If SoftFSB recognizes the clock generator on the motherboard, sometimes it
will allow for options that the hardware supports, but which were not
included in the BIOS settings, jumpers or documentation.

The trouble is that SoftFSB may hose your system, and it is no longer
supported by H.Oda, nor is it downloadable from his site. A Google search
finds it quickly enough, though.
http://www.voodoofiles.com/250

I'd say his best bet is to take it apart (and try to find the mainboard
manual first) and see if he can jumper it for 200 MHz.

But he shouldn't get his hopes up. Laptops are notoriously hard to
overclock. If it were my laptop, I think I would just add more ram to
improve performance.

--
Tony Sivori

---

Old June 25th 03, 07:35 PM
Markus

this worked for me overclocking my laptop.
thing is, to go higher i either need a program to change fsb:ram ratio or to
up the core and vio voltage.
btw, a 300mhz increase with a p4m 1.7 isnt that bad as a first start..