GA-8IPE1000 Pro3

Old February 10th 04, 08:33 PM
DevilsPGD

Default GA-8IPE1000 Pro3

Built a new system a couple weeks ago, GA-8IPE1000 Pro3 with a
P4/2.8GHz/800FSB/HyperThreading.

In GMT 2.0 in the "Processor information" it shows current speed as
2800MHz, which is good. It also says External Clock 200MHz -- Is this
representative of the FSB, in which case shouldn't it be 800MHz?

Also, any experience with HyperThreading? I had it enabled initially,
I've now disabled it due to stability -- I had a lot of programs that
would use 100% CPU after running for a few minutes (Mozilla Firebird and
Thunderbird especially), BNR2 (binary usenet client) would freeze
frequently, UD (grid.org, distributed computing client) would bog the
system down (It doesn't do this on any of my other systems, single or
dual CPU, but this is my first experience with HT). I've also had a
couple of bluescreens, but my event log has rolled off so I don't have
the details anymore (my fault, I should know better then to forget to
record details like that)

Since the time I disabled HyperThreading, I've been 100% stable, no
freezeups, no lockups, no problems at all.

FWIW, RAM is 2x512MB DDR400 DualChannel, 2x36.7GB WD Raptor SATA drives
in RAID-0 configuration.

Old February 20th 04, 03:26 PM
Eric Wolfe

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
Built a new system a couple weeks ago, GA-8IPE1000 Pro3 with a
P4/2.8GHz/800FSB/HyperThreading.

In GMT 2.0 in the "Processor information" it shows current speed as
2800MHz, which is good. It also says External Clock 200MHz -- Is this
representative of the FSB, in which case shouldn't it be 800MHz?

The bus is "quad pumped" so it's 4 X 200. You're all right there.

Also, any experience with HyperThreading? I had it enabled initially,
I've now disabled it due to stability -- I had a lot of programs that
would use 100% CPU after running for a few minutes (Mozilla Firebird and
Thunderbird especially), BNR2 (binary usenet client) would freeze
frequently, UD (grid.org, distributed computing client) would bog the
system down (It doesn't do this on any of my other systems, single or
dual CPU, but this is my first experience with HT). I've also had a
couple of bluescreens, but my event log has rolled off so I don't have
the details anymore (my fault, I should know better then to forget to
record details like that)

Some folks attribute HT problems to memory issues:

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=1036

Since the time I disabled HyperThreading, I've been 100% stable, no
freezeups, no lockups, no problems at all.

FWIW, RAM is 2x512MB DDR400 DualChannel, 2x36.7GB WD Raptor SATA drives
in RAID-0 configuration.

I don't see your OS info. Intel says:

http://www.intel.com/support/platfor...id=ipp_htm+os&

The following desktop operating systems are not recommended for use with
Hyper-Threading Technology. If you are using one of the following desktop
operating systems, it is advised that you should disable Hyper-Threading
Technology in the system BIOS Setup program:

Microsoft Windows 2000 (all versions)
Microsoft Windows NT* 4.0
Microsoft Windows Me
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 98 SE

Eric

Old February 20th 04, 04:56 PM
DevilsPGD

In message "Eric Wolfe"
did ramble:

In GMT 2.0 in the "Processor information" it shows current speed as
2800MHz, which is good. It also says External Clock 200MHz -- Is this
representative of the FSB, in which case shouldn't it be 800MHz?

The bus is "quad pumped" so it's 4 X 200. You're all right there.

Cool, that's what I thought, but I was getting paranoid.

Some folks attribute HT problems to memory issues:

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=1036

Thanks, will go reading shortly.

Since the time I disabled HyperThreading, I've been 100% stable, no
freezeups, no lockups, no problems at all.

FWIW, RAM is 2x512MB DDR400 DualChannel, 2x36.7GB WD Raptor SATA drives
in RAID-0 configuration.

I don't see your OS info. Intel says:

http://www.intel.com/support/platfor...id=ipp_htm+os&

XP Pro, at the moment... Not on the no-no list. I may end up putting a
spare 2003 server license on this box in the near future (Having a play
installation of IIS would be useful before I build out my next
webserver)
--
The preceding post may have contained foul language,
and should not have been read by young children.