Overclocking a Barton CPU?

Old August 9th 04, 02:46 PM
newsist

Default Overclocking a Barton CPU?

Hi!

I've done a lot of research on overclocking a Barton, in particular the
Athlob XP 2600+ model. Virtually everywhere I go it says it could *easily*
reach a FSB of 200Mhz...%$*&%...I can only get to 170Mhz until my computer
fails to boot up.

I have the ASUS A7N8X deluxe. Argueably one of the best Athlon XP mobos
around but yet cannot do a 200MHz everyone been talking about. What am I
doing wrong?

My RAM is PC3200 but currently in-sync with the FSB at 168MHz (2 Mhz above
default). Multiplier at 11.5x (default).

I consider my CPU cooling to be very good: full load at ~45C ; idle at ~35C

Memory in "agressive" mode with the following parameters: CAS latency 2.5,
RAS to CAS 3, RAS precharge, 3 and TRas 7.

Any advice on what else I could do to get closer to the 200MHz mark with my
A7N8X?

Thanks!!!

Old August 9th 04, 03:58 PM
rstlne

"newsist" wrote in message
Hi!

I've done a lot of research on overclocking a Barton, in particular the
Athlob XP 2600+ model. Virtually everywhere I go it says it could *easily*
reach a FSB of 200Mhz...%$*&%...I can only get to 170Mhz until my computer
fails to boot up.

I doubt you'll find much in this forum that says "Easily"

I have the ASUS A7N8X deluxe. Argueably one of the best Athlon XP mobos
around but yet cannot do a 200MHz everyone been talking about. What am I
doing wrong?

Dunno, I not read nuf yet.

My RAM is PC3200 but currently in-sync with the FSB at 168MHz (2 Mhz above
default). Multiplier at 11.5x (default).

Why you running at 168, 166 would be the normal/default speed.
If it's in sync with the speed then that's good.

I consider my CPU cooling to be very good: full load at ~45C ; idle at

~35C

Memory in "agressive" mode with the following parameters: CAS latency 2.5,
RAS to CAS 3, RAS precharge, 3 and TRas 7.

Any advice on what else I could do to get closer to the 200MHz mark with

my
A7N8X?

Thanks!!!

I think the 2500+'s will (virutually 100%) hit that 200mhz fsb without
fail.. the 2600+'s might be a bit different tho. To be honest I think it
should work sooo..
What I would do is move the ram out of sync, set it to run @ 50% of the fsb
frequency. then up the fsb up to 200 and reboot.. if the system shows a
processor @ 2300mhz then your ram just cant cut it at 200mhz with the
current settings.

Old August 9th 04, 04:07 PM
newsist

"rstlne" wrote in message

Why you running at 168, 166 would be the normal/default speed.
If it's in sync with the speed then that's good.

The FSB and memory are always in-sync so if I run at 168Mhz the memory
frequency will follow.

I think the 2500+'s will (virutually 100%) hit that 200mhz fsb without
fail.. the 2600+'s might be a bit different tho. To be honest I think it
should work sooo..

Are the 2500+'s TBred?

What I would do is move the ram out of sync, set it to run @ 50% of the

fsb
frequency. then up the fsb up to 200 and reboot.. if the system shows a
processor @ 2300mhz then your ram just cant cut it at 200mhz with the
current settings.

I would like to try...but would increasing to 200MHz (increase of 34MHz)
mess up the processor permanently?

Old August 9th 04, 07:21 PM
Doug Ramage

"newsist" wrote in message
[...]

Is it a rev 1.xx or rev 2.00 board?

How new is the XP2600, as it might be multiplier locked?
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

Old August 9th 04, 08:07 PM
S.S.Hot Rocks

okay, the reason people are having OC problems with the 2600+ is that
the multiplier is odd compared the 200FSB chips. On a 2600+ the
multi is 11.5, 2500+ is 11. If you can turndown the multiplier
(doubtful) you should be able to get it to 200 at 11 multi.

The best chip for OCing in the barton category is the week 13-35
2500+ Barton core. The multiplier is unlocked, and is a stepped down
3200+ for sales reasons. I myself was lucky enough to get one of
these chips, and have been very happy with it. If my board would
handle over 200FSB I think the chip would too. And I have heard
rumors of the M2500+ doing 220-240 FSB with a multiplier of 10.
Pretty fast. :wink:

==============
Old August 9th 04, 11:17 PM
Humja

"rstlne" wrote in message

Increasing to 200mhz is best I would think ..
I did run my processor @ 210 * 11 for 2310 (mine is a old 2500+) so if my
old one can do 2300 then your new one should be able to also, what happens
when you try to run it at 200 fsb?

Another person recommended I turn down the multiplier because the Barton
2600+ is rather odd at 11.5. Most people get better overclocking results at
11.

If I can't even boot at 170MHz I wouldn't even think about 200MHz

Old August 10th 04, 09:44 AM
me!!

On my a7n8x-e rev 2.xx board i used to get my 2600+ to be stable at
180 fsb, but i had to increase the voltage, and the cpu was locked.

now ive got a 3200+ running and ive managed to get it up to 215fsb.

cheers

paul
Old August 10th 04, 11:17 AM
rstlne

"Humja" wrote in message

"rstlne" wrote in message

Increasing to 200mhz is best I would think ..
I did run my processor @ 210 * 11 for 2310 (mine is a old 2500+) so if

my
old one can do 2300 then your new one should be able to also, what

happens
when you try to run it at 200 fsb?

Another person recommended I turn down the multiplier because the Barton
2600+ is rather odd at 11.5. Most people get better overclocking results

at
11.

If I can't even boot at 170MHz I wouldn't even think about 200MHz

you cant turn down the multiplier, and the one thing I didnt keep up with
when I thought about this stuff was the apg/pci bus..
If you change to 200 then the system knows how to set those speeds, if you
set it to 170 then it may well overclock them and then the board doesnt
work.

This could be the case but I dont keep up with what boards can lock the bus
speeds and what boards dont

Old August 10th 04, 04:56 PM
jamie anderson

Some 2600+s are Thoroughbreds, some A7N8X-Deluxes are V1.04; if you don't
have both the Barton & the V2.0, you may have trouble reaching 200MHz.