GTX 460 vs HD 5850 ?

Old August 17th 10, 11:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Antonio Huerta

Default GTX 460 vs HD 5850 ?

OK, so after many upgrades for my Windows XP computer, I finally
decided to build a new gaming PC. The reason was I wanted (i) play the
games with PhysX; (ii) play games in DirectX 10 &11. The games I was
looking forward to play were Metro 2033 (DX11), Stalker: CoP (DX11),
Mirror's Edge 2 (PhysX).

Now I am thinking what video card should I choose. When I moved from
nVidia 7600GT to ATI HD 3870, I noticed the improvement in the image
quality: firstly, the heavy banding disappeared, and secondly, the
pictures became more bland, however the richness in the tones
appeared. I was totally sold on ATI. So that I decided my next card
should be HD 5770, or, better, HD 5850. The latter is sold for 350 in
the local dollars. It is a bit dear in terms of productivity vs.
price, and I think the price will halve in the next year or one and a
half.

A cheaper card ($275) is nVidia GTX 460, and it is slightly less
productive (by 10%) which is OK for me, and it has a very good
productivity/price ratio. And, as a bonus, it has a PhysX capability
inside, so that I do not need to buy an nVidia card ($50) as a PhysX
card... and the driver support is better. This seemed to me to be
attractive, so that I convinced myself to get a GTX 460. The local
shop was sold out of it today.

And then a doubt occurred to me. I decided that I would still want the
best of the best as I always do, and that I want the colour palette of
an ATI/AMD card. So, I am torn. Can the gamers please share their
anecdotes, which would help me to decide which card ?

Old August 17th 10, 01:26 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rin Stowleigh

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 03:28:27 -0700 (PDT), Antonio Huerta
wrote:

[...]

This might help:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU/88
Old August 17th 10, 01:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rin Stowleigh

wrote:

[...]

I also wanted to mention that to my knowledge, there is nothing about
the color palette of ATI cards that would be any different from
nVidia, so I would guess the differences you saw were simply default
driver settings or something similar. At least, I have never heard of
an image quality advantage between vendors from the magazines that
benchmark these things side by side on a daily basis.

Once upon a time, 7 or 8 years ago I think there were some cases where
ATI's anti-aliasing algorithm had a slight advantage? But I don't
think that's true these days.
Old August 17th 10, 04:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Antonio Huerta

wrote:
[...]

I am not going to start a holywar NVidia vs ATI (otherwise the
moderator will persecute me). However, I will tell you that I perceive
the difference between the image quality of nVidia and ATI. I perceive
there is a finer breakdown of tones in ATI.

Thanks for the link in the other posting. HD 5770 turns out to be
roughly twice as fast as HD 3870. This makes me choice tougher for me,
between those three cards.
Old August 17th 10, 05:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
rms[_4_]

Thanks for the link in the other posting. HD 5770 turns out to be
roughly twice as fast as HD 3870. This makes me choice tougher for me,
between those three cards.

I'd consider the 5770 marginal for 2011 games, just looking at this
page:
http://www.guruht.com/2010/04/hd5850...tx-275260.html
Framerate in 2033 at 1280x1024 barely hits 30fps, and I suspect you'd be
disappointed with the purchase. Most likely you'd end up backing off the
settings to DX10 or even DX9. Checking forums, it looks like DX9 would give
you 60fps, but why spend money on a new videocard for that?

I'm playing CoP at 1920x1200 dx11 max settings on this gtx470, and am
very pleased. Haven't fired up Metro2033 at all yet, but I'll try it for a
bit later this weekend to see.

rms

Old August 17th 10, 08:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Benedict[_2_]

"Rin Stowleigh" wrote in message

[...]

Image comparisons in magazines and no websites tend to focus on things like
AA and AF
and when people talk about ATI image quality being better that's not what
they're talking about.
When I compare cards (and I've had plenty of both Nvidia and ATI) I see that
the Nvidia card tend to produce a slightly more saturated look whereas ATI
has more muted colours (bland as Antonio phrased it) but the ATI image is
more detailed and clear as a result. Its a subtle difference and purely a
matter of taste but its there.

As for which card to buy - currently the sub £150 choice would be a 5770 -
£150 to £200 would be a GTX 460 and then next would be the 5850 if your
budget can stretch that far. Pricewise the competition for the GTX 460 is
the 5830 and the clear winner is the 460.

Old August 17th 10, 09:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Benedict[_2_]

"rms" wrote in message
Thanks for the link in the other posting. HD 5770 turns out to be
roughly twice as fast as HD 3870. This makes me choice tougher for me,
between those three cards.

I'd consider the 5770 marginal for 2011 games, just looking at this
page:
http://www.guruht.com/2010/04/hd5850...tx-275260.html
Framerate in 2033 at 1280x1024 barely hits 30fps, and I suspect you'd be
disappointed with the purchase. Most likely you'd end up backing off the
settings to DX10 or even DX9. Checking forums, it looks like DX9 would
give you 60fps, but why spend money on a new videocard for that?

I'm playing CoP at 1920x1200 dx11 max settings on this gtx470, and am
very pleased. Haven't fired up Metro2033 at all yet, but I'll try it for
a bit later this weekend to see.

rms

My GTX 460 does CoP in Dx11 High preset with ease but Maximum gets a bit
choppy.
Metro 2033 includes extra DX11 stuff like Depth of Field that taxes even the
top cards.

Old August 17th 10, 10:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
noman

Antonio Huerta wrote:

A cheaper card ($275) is nVidia GTX 460, and it is slightly less
productive (by 10%) which is OK for me, and it has a very good
productivity/price ratio. And, as a bonus, it has a PhysX capability
inside, so that I do not need to buy an nVidia card ($50) as a PhysX
card... and the driver support is better. This seemed to me to be
attractive, so that I convinced myself to get a GTX 460. The local
shop was sold out of it today.

And then a doubt occurred to me. I decided that I would still want the
best of the best as I always do, and that I want the colour palette of
an ATI/AMD card. So, I am torn. Can the gamers please share their
anecdotes, which would help me to decide which card ?

Between the two HD5850 is a far more capable graphic card, especially if the
GTX460 you are looking for is not the 1GB model. GTX460 is cheaper, to
account for the performance difference.

I'd recommend going for HD5850 and then buying a cheap $30-40 GT240+ card if
PhysX is a must-have requirement for you. You may need the second card
anyway, as the dedicated solution does give better performance, than what you
get by putting graphics and PhysX on the same card.

You can also buy GTX460 now, and then get a second one later for use with
SLI. Currently GTX460 SLI is definitely better than HD 5850 Crossfire.
--
Noman
Old August 18th 10, 12:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rin Stowleigh

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:55:53 +0100, "Benedict"
wrote:

"Rin Stowleigh" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I still think anything color related you guys are seeing is a factor
of the driver default color calibration and not really the hardware. I
can see how one vendor would consistently conform to a particular
calibration spec and thus consistently churn out cards that take on a
characteristic vibrance or blandness compared to the competitor, but
it's important to note that things like hue and saturation are
completely software configurable.

When you go into a recent version of nVidia control panel, there is a
setting called "digital vibrance". I suspect it is the default
setting of this control you guys are primarily referring to. A little
tweaking can make a BIG difference.

Again not looking for a card vendor war at all, I just have never seen
anything in magazines that would indicate the color characteristics
differ at anything other than the driver settings.
Old August 18th 10, 03:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
rms[_4_]

I'm playing CoP at 1920x1200 dx11 max settings on this gtx470, and am
very pleased. Haven't fired up Metro2033 at all yet, but I'll try it for
a bit later this weekend to see.

I tried it a bit tonight. Screen resolution makes a big difference,
DX11 veryhigh is playable (30s-40s framerate) at 1440x900, dx11 high at
1650x1080, 1920x1200 needs dx9. a 5770 would be say 10fps lower.

rms