Newbie needing step by step !

Old September 24th 09, 12:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil[_14_]

Default Newbie needing step by step !

Have not a clue where to start - bought the new Pentium E6300 2.8ghz (or
relatively new anyways. Newer than the Conroe 1.8 E6300 anyway !) and have
been told that taking it up to 4.0ghz isn't out of the question. I'd be
happy with less than that TBH. Also, how can I "up" my 4gb of DDR2 sdram
Corsair PC2-6400(400mhz) part number CM2X2048-6400C5 ?
Also, I intend when my Windows 7 is delivered in October 22nd, to go to
64bit - irritated that my 4gb of ram only comes up as 3 because of the 32
bit ruling - would I need to wait for that first before doing anything ?
Using Windows 7 now, though.

Old September 24th 09, 12:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil[_14_]

"Phil" wrote in message
Have not a clue where to start - bought the new Pentium E6300 2.8ghz (or
relatively new anyways. Newer than the Conroe 1.8 E6300 anyway !) and have
been told that taking it up to 4.0ghz isn't out of the question. I'd be
happy with less than that TBH. Also, how can I "up" my 4gb of DDR2 sdram
Corsair PC2-6400(400mhz) part number CM2X2048-6400C5 ?
Also, I intend when my Windows 7 is delivered in October 22nd, to go to
64bit - irritated that my 4gb of ram only comes up as 3 because of the 32
bit ruling - would I need to wait for that first before doing anything ?
Using Windows 7 now, though.

Oh yeah - Motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
I also intend to get a Zalman cooler the 9500, as the cooler that came with
the chip is loud and not too good. Also, those bloody plastic fittings to
fix in the Intel 775 are ridiculous aren't they ?

Old September 26th 09, 10:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil[_14_]

"Phil" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message
Have not a clue where to start - bought the new Pentium E6300 2.8ghz (or
relatively new anyways. Newer than the Conroe 1.8 E6300 anyway !) and
have been told that taking it up to 4.0ghz isn't out of the question. I'd
be happy with less than that TBH. Also, how can I "up" my 4gb of DDR2
sdram Corsair PC2-6400(400mhz) part number CM2X2048-6400C5 ?
Also, I intend when my Windows 7 is delivered in October 22nd, to go to
64bit - irritated that my 4gb of ram only comes up as 3 because of the 32
bit ruling - would I need to wait for that first before doing anything ?
Using Windows 7 now, though.

Oh yeah - Motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
I also intend to get a Zalman cooler the 9500, as the cooler that came
with the chip is loud and not too good. Also, those bloody plastic
fittings to fix in the Intel 775 are ridiculous aren't they ?

Very surprised I haven't received ANY advice.
The talent on this newsgroup is clear, just a little surprised.

Old September 27th 09, 12:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface[_2_]

Phil wrote:
Very surprised I haven't received ANY advice.
The talent on this newsgroup is clear, just a little surprised.

Step-by-step sounds like a lot of trouble. You already have
your system together, you have that little tiny aluminum
Intel cooler with the push pins installed, but plan to take it
apart to put on a new cooler? Ok.

First back up your system, preferably to another drive or
at least partition. I recommend Macrium Reflect or Reflect
Free. http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

When you enter the bios, press ctrl + F1 to give you
some advanced options. Go to the section called
"Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker." Set the "CPU Host
Clock" to Enabled. Set your "System Memory Multiplier"
to 2.0 will run the memory synchronously. Lower your
"CPU Clock Ratio" from the 10.5 maximum default to
8 for now. Set the "CPU Host Frequency" to 400. This
will give you 8 x 400 = 3.2 GHz. Make sure it is getting
the voltage specified by the mfr. The combination of
"CPU Host Frequency" and "System Memory Multiplier"
will change the value shown in "Memory Frequency."
At a value of 800 (or less) the memory is within spec.

Then you test...

First test memory stability with Memtest 86+ or similar
booted from a CD or Flash Drive. Then run Prime 95
making sure that both cores are being used to ensure
stability. Monitor CPU temperatures with CoreTemp:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

After this it's hours of trial and error, trying to run the RAM
faster than spec, and with lower timings, and trying faster
CPU speeds and varying voltages to achieve a stable
overclock that you are happy with. How fast can you go?
The answer relates closely to the question, "How much
time do you want to spend?" Anandtech was only able to
achieve 3.57 GHz with their E6300 sample, and it required
a voltage increase of .1v to get there. Samples will vary.

What I would do until you get your new cooler would be to
try 3.2 - 3.4 GHz on default voltage, or a few hundredths
of a volt more.

Old September 27th 09, 01:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil[_14_]

Fishface, appreciate your efforts !
It may well be a lot of trouble, but you've made a noble effort !
Cheers, mate.

Old September 28th 09, 12:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil[_14_]

Anandtech - did they use the old E6300 ?
There's been two - the first was 1.87ghz, and this one is 2.8 ghz.
I have read of the overclocking the old one, this one is quite recent.
Also, used the core temp prog, and it's showing about 5 degrees hotter than
the other two temp progs I have used.

Old September 28th 09, 02:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface[_2_]

Phil wrote:
Anandtech - did they use the old E6300 ?
There's been two - the first was 1.87ghz, and this one is 2.8 ghz.
I have read of the overclocking the old one, this one is quite recent.

Nope. That one had an 8x cpu multiplier.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=3572&p=3
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=3572&p=11

Also, used the core temp prog, and it's showing about 5 degrees hotter
than the other two temp progs I have used.

The first paragraph on the linked page states:

The temperature readings are very accurate as the data is collected from
a Digital Thermal Sensor (or DTS) which is located in each individual proces-
sing core, near the hottest part. This sensor is digital, which means it doesn't
rely on an external circuit located on the motherboard to report temperature,
its value is stored in a special register in the processor so any software can
access and read it. This eliminates any inaccuracy that can be caused by
external motherboard circuits and sensors and then different types of
programs trying to read those sensors.

Old September 29th 09, 08:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil[_14_]

By the way, FF - used your excellent, simple guide, and it's now running
quite happily at 3400.
Temps little different to what they were before. Once again, cheers, mate.