No more overclocking?

Old May 24th 09, 07:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_10_]

Default No more overclocking?

So, going by the number of posts here these days it would seem that we've
finally reached the point where computers are so powerful that nobody feels
the need to overclock anymore.

This group used to get many, many posts a day with informative stories on
how folks had managed to squeeze those last few MIPs out of their rigs. Now?
Off topic posts or spam is pretty much all I see.

RIP a.c.h.o.
--
Shaun.

Old May 24th 09, 08:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

"~misfit~" wrote in message ...
So, going by the number of posts here these days it would seem that we've
finally reached the point where computers are so powerful that nobody feels
the need to overclock anymore.

This group used to get many, many posts a day with informative stories on
how folks had managed to squeeze those last few MIPs out of their rigs. Now?
Off topic posts or spam is pretty much all I see.

RIP a.c.h.o.

Nah, the world just got a life. Most of my friends don't even own
TVs any more.

Computers are so last century.

Old May 24th 09, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
GFU

On Sun, 24 May 2009 18:38:10 +1200, "~misfit~"
wrote:

So, going by the number of posts here these days it would seem that we've
finally reached the point where computers are so powerful that nobody feels
the need to overclock anymore.

Honestly, most of the people talking about overclocking are doing it
on 'web forums', not usenet, which is sad.

For some reason, Usenet is not known to a lot of people. I wonder why?

Nico
Old May 24th 09, 05:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Augustus

"~misfit~" wrote in message
So, going by the number of posts here these days it would seem that we've
finally reached the point where computers are so powerful that nobody
feels the need to overclock anymore.

This group used to get many, many posts a day with informative stories on
how folks had managed to squeeze those last few MIPs out of their rigs.
Now? Off topic posts or spam is pretty much all I see.

RIP a.c.h.o.
--
Shaun.

Two things. One is that a huge number of younger overclockers don't know
what usenet is and the other is that a vast number of ISP's don't have n/g
access any more.

Old May 24th 09, 08:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
PvdG42

"~misfit~" wrote in message
So, going by the number of posts here these days it would seem that we've
finally reached the point where computers are so powerful that nobody
feels the need to overclock anymore.

This group used to get many, many posts a day with informative stories on
how folks had managed to squeeze those last few MIPs out of their rigs.
Now? Off topic posts or spam is pretty much all I see.

RIP a.c.h.o.
--
Shaun.

I'll add another reason. It has become much easier to overclock with modern
CPU's, motherboards and BIOS'. Less assistance is needed. I also agree that
usenet is used far less, in general, than the "web forums".

The ISP's welcome this trend, of course, as it gives them an excuse to
discontinue the expense of their news servers. I'm grateful that my ISP
continues to support usenet.

Old May 25th 09, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_10_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Augustus wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
So, going by the number of posts here these days it would seem that
we've finally reached the point where computers are so powerful that
nobody feels the need to overclock anymore.

This group used to get many, many posts a day with informative
stories on how folks had managed to squeeze those last few MIPs out
of their rigs. Now? Off topic posts or spam is pretty much all I see.

RIP a.c.h.o.

Two things. One is that a huge number of younger overclockers don't
know what usenet is and the other is that a vast number of ISP's
don't have n/g access any more.

I don't really care what younger overclockers are doing and I don't rely on
an ISP for usenet access. As it happens my ISP *does* run an NNTP server but
I also have accounts with a couple of independant providors.

I was more wondering what happened to the bunch of regulars whose posts I
used to read here over the past decade or so.

I suppose that, as PvdG42 mentioned, O/Cing has become more user-friendly
and less of an esoteric art. No longer are BSEL mods, 'pencil tricks' and
worries about PCI bus corruption hurdles to be overcome. Also extreme
cooling is no longer required, my 45nm CPU doesn't get remotely into the
'danger zone' when overclocked, it just works until it doesn't, temps aren't
an issue. A big contrast to the days when, often an O/C could be limited by
the temperature you felt comfortable running your CPU at.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old May 26th 09, 02:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Gorby[_2_]

PvdG42 wrote:

"~misfit~" wrote in message
So, going by the number of posts here these days it would seem that
we've finally reached the point where computers are so powerful that
nobody feels the need to overclock anymore.

This group used to get many, many posts a day with informative stories
on how folks had managed to squeeze those last few MIPs out of their
rigs. Now? Off topic posts or spam is pretty much all I see.

RIP a.c.h.o.
--
Shaun.

"Build a man a fire, and he`ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire,
and he`ll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett, Jingo.

I'll add another reason. It has become much easier to overclock with
modern CPU's, motherboards and BIOS'. Less assistance is needed. I also
agree that usenet is used far less, in general, than the "web forums".

The ISP's welcome this trend, of course, as it gives them an excuse to
discontinue the expense of their news servers. I'm grateful that my ISP
continues to support usenet.

Yes! I agree! ISP's do seem to be getting rid of usenet.
My ISP keeps changing his server address, maybe, hoping we will give up
on it.
Pity really!

And modern motherboards and CPUs are so much easier to overclock. And I
suspect it is because of the efforts of people like those in this forum.
Old May 26th 09, 03:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
dewey edwards

"~misfit~" wrote in message
[...]

I realize that I'm a lurker, and this is my first post in this NG.

BUT, O/Cer's need a reliable forum of helpful people.

I plan to O/C a p5q (ASUS), intel 2.83 quad.

Reading da web gives me what?

I'd rather have Paul's opinion, Ed Medlin's opinion, Augustus'
opinion, and YOUR opinion. And the tons of others opinion posted
here.

Cheers,

Old May 28th 09, 03:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin

"~misfit~" wrote in message
[...]

I feel honered to be mentioned and we should remember Phil W. in that
list......:-), especially when talking about "old timers". We are all still
here and will answer or ask questions as we can. My i7 was so easy that not
much need be said.

Ed Medlin

Old May 28th 09, 03:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin

"~misfit~" wrote in message
So, going by the number of posts here these days it would seem that we've
finally reached the point where computers are so powerful that nobody
feels the need to overclock anymore.

This group used to get many, many posts a day with informative stories on
how folks had managed to squeeze those last few MIPs out of their rigs.
Now? Off topic posts or spam is pretty much all I see.

RIP a.c.h.o.
--
Shaun.

Still here Shaun.........