ddr1 memory

Old January 7th 09, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

Default ddr1 memory

john wrote:
ok, i will just have the 2- 1gb in.
thanks.

These are the most important parts of your posted results.

Northbridge NVIDIA GeForce 6100 rev. A2
Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 410/430 MCP rev. A3
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 2048 MBytes
Channels Dual
Memory Frequency 200.9 MHz (CPU/11)
CAS# 3.0
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
Cycle Time (tRAS) 8
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 11
DRAM Idle Timer 16
Command Rate 2T

You're running 200.9*2 = DDR400.
Timing is 3-3-3-8

Command Rate is 2T. I don't know if forcing
it to 1T would work or not. But that is the
only other obvious improvement you could make.
If you were to try forcing it to 1T, you'd
want to run memtest86+ to make sure it is
stable and error free. Don't boot into Windows,
if the memory settings are dodgy.

What command rate affects, is how many cycles are
used on the address/command bus, to pass a value.
2T means two cycles are used per item passed.
1T means only one cycle is used, and that is a
"tighter" setting. Sometimes setting to 1T,
breaks things, depending on the bus loading. The
S754 has two address/command buses, which is
why, with two sticks, there is a small chance
of being able to run Command Rate 1T. Usually,
by using slot 1 and slot 3, there is one stick
per address/command bus.

If you're happy with your current performance,
then leave the settings as is. They should be
quite stable, as listed in your above-provided table.

Paul

Old January 7th 09, 08:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
john[_10_]

i do not think i would try to change the t2 to t1.
and like you said. it is stable the way it is now.
so i best leave it the way it is.

thanks.

Old January 7th 09, 10:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
ShadowTek[_4_]

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 12:27:27 -0500, Paul wrote:

No, the computer adjusts the clock rate, according to bus loading. Three
sticks of memory is a heavy load for the bus, which is why it is using
slow settings.

By installing only two sticks, a higher clock speed can be used. So your
2x1GB is a better way to run the computer, than 2x1GB+512MB. 2x1GB would
be the best compromise between memory capacity and operating speed.

For my motherboard, I read that the DDR will drop to 333 if I use the
maximum 4gigs, which would be 1gig per each of the 4 slots. I am now
using 2x1GBs and 2x512MBs, which is using every slot, but I am still
running at 400.
Old January 7th 09, 11:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

ShadowTek wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 12:27:27 -0500, Paul wrote:

No, the computer adjusts the clock rate, according to bus loading. Three
sticks of memory is a heavy load for the bus, which is why it is using
slow settings.

By installing only two sticks, a higher clock speed can be used. So your
2x1GB is a better way to run the computer, than 2x1GB+512MB. 2x1GB would
be the best compromise between memory capacity and operating speed.

For my motherboard, I read that the DDR will drop to 333 if I use the
maximum 4gigs, which would be 1gig per each of the 4 slots. I am now
using 2x1GBs and 2x512MBs, which is using every slot, but I am still
running at 400.

There are three options:

1) two sticks running DDR400 Command Rate 1T
2) four sticks running DDR333 Command Rate 1T (BIOS auto preference)
3) four sticks running DDR400 Command Rate 2T (User adjustment and test...)

If those 512MB sticks happened to be single sided modules, then
that would reduce the bus loading slightly, and make (3) a
good prospect. If you use something other than the BIOS
default, you should test for stability. (Memtest86+/Prime95 or equiv)

Paul
Old January 8th 09, 01:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
ShadowTek[_4_]

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 17:59:47 -0500, Paul wrote:

There are three options:

1) two sticks running DDR400 Command Rate 1T 2) four sticks running
DDR333 Command Rate 1T (BIOS auto preference) 3) four sticks running
DDR400 Command Rate 2T (User adjustment and test...)

If those 512MB sticks happened to be single sided modules, then that
would reduce the bus loading slightly, and make (3) a good prospect. If
you use something other than the BIOS default, you should test for
stability. (Memtest86+/Prime95 or equiv)

My 512s *are* single-sided, but my BIOS are a stripped OEM version that
doesn't allow me to modify RAM settings.