Some i7 9200-Intel X58 overclocking info

Old December 17th 08, 02:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin

Default Some i7 9200-Intel X58 overclocking info

Here are some findings of mine while experimenting with the above and
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 memory running in 3 channel mode...3x 2gb sticks.

First, the memory. This particular memory will run at 1423 with voltage set
at "Auto" but will not run higher at any voltage up to the max of 1.65v.
There are several voltage settings and I need more time to experiment with
them all. There is the main DRAM Bus Voltage and then DRAM Data Ref Voltage
and DRAM CTRL Ref Voltage settings for each of the 3 channels. I haven't
messed with the Ref voltages at all yet and do not think they will make much
difference.

The rest is so easy it is almost funny. All these are stable running 8-10
instances of Orthos for 3-6hrs and never blue screened or gave errors of any
kind and could run 3dMark 06 and 3DMark Vantage over and over without
problems. Intel Speedstep turned off on all. All other settings on Auto.

920 @ 3.6Ghz (stock 2.66Ghz, 133 bclk, 1.2v vcore)
bclk-180
vcore-1.26875
dram-1423 (same with all)
This setting at the relatively low vcore gives good temps with idle in mid
30sC and 100% load temps of 58-60C.

920 @ 3.7Ghz
bclk-185
vcore-1.28125
This raised temps to 40C idle and 65C load.

920 @ 3.8Ghz
bclk-190
vcore-1.325
This is where I stopped because temps were 47-50C idle and up to 85C under
load.

I am running at 3.7Ghz right now and have no issues at all. The Bclk and
Vcore are really all you need to mess with on this X58 board to get a decent
overclock. Running Orthos on the I7s seems to only stress 1 or 2 cores and
really only one to 100%. I notice that with all other programs the processor
uses all 4 (eight virtual) cores very evenly, even with programs not written
for multithreading so real-life temps (like SETI) are always lower. These
processors are a big step up from the C2 Quads in everything from gaming to
processing video. Most of my gaming is with simulations, both aviation and
racing. I attribute the increased speed with video to more and faster memory
and the direct memory control from the processor absent of the old fsb
limitations. For some reason Sandra will not run on this system, so I don't
have any exact readings. I don't know if it is the 64bit OS or the hardware
itself......It just blue screens at startup whethere overclocked or not.
Seeing as all other programs work perfectly, I don't see how it could be
some kind of problem with the build. If anyone would like me to run
something else, please just ask and I will do my best. Questions and/or
hints to help me are always welcome as usual.

Ed

Old December 18th 08, 03:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Don[_11_]

"Ed Medlin" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the update - very interesting. I hope to get all the parts
together for my build sometime in January.

--
Don