New Project_i7 920 Nehalem build

Old December 16th 08, 12:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_11_]

Default New Project_i7 920 Nehalem build

Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Ed Medlin" typed:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
I wasn't happy with the push-pin mounting of the Tt MiniTyphoon on
my C2D so bought a Thermalright bolt-thru kit, pulled the mobo out
of the case and fitted it. I wouldn't want to have to do that again
so, for me at least, I'd "build it once, build it right". g.

Yea, I agree Shaun. Right now I have found "0" bolt-thru kits for the
1366 socket.

Yeah, still a bit early for after-market bits I guess.

This one seems to be doing ok and right there with any
of the S 1366 coolers. It is just 3 degs or so away from H2O as
compared to the HardOCP videos on overclocking the 920. Actually, my
temps are lower than his H2O temps since I am only running at 2.9V
vcore for 3.7Ghz and he was at 3.5V IIRC at 3.8Ghz. I would like to
see the stock Intel fan that they put on the Extreme, it is supposed
to be a lot better than the 920 one. Just for grins I ran the WEI in
Vista and this system is 5.9 across the board. I need to install
Sandra or something to do some memory and other tests just to compare
with the Q6600 system. SLI is ok now with the latest drivers. I am at
3.7Ghz still and very stable. With all the bad weather outside I will
have some time to mess around a bit today and get some software
installed. I just have the fully updated Vista and a few testing
programs on here now. I am running Vista Ultimate 64 with ALL the
bells and whistles turned on, even Aero.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=9235721 is my score on
3dmark 06 after updating Vista and turning on Aero and everything.

Nice!

Quite an improvement over the E6600 and Q6600 scores with everything
else equal except for XP Pro 32 with the other processors.

I'm impressed, thanks for keeping us informed. It'll be a while before I'm
in i7 territory so I'll be limited to vicarious participation in any OCing
efforts until then. ;-)

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old December 20th 08, 04:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface[_2_]

~misfit wrote:
I wasn't happy with the push-pin mounting of the Tt MiniTyphoon on
my C2D so bought a Thermalright bolt-thru kit, pulled the mobo out
of the case and fitted it. I wouldn't want to have to do that again so,
for me at least, I'd "build it once, build it right". g.

I just put together a low budget system with an E5200 for a someone
with whom I work. It seems that they changed the retail cooler design
to a much shorter design and it has molded plastic in place of the
metal X. The plastic is very thick, maybe 12mm - 14mm, so the
thermalright kit would not have worked without much shorter springs or
longer screws. I gave him one of my old unused coolers. The Q9550
cooler was of a another different design, with thinner "feet" (perhaps
4mm) and also plastic.