Help overclocking AMD 64 (Hammer) 3500+

Old August 10th 08, 05:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Moe[_3_]

Default Help overclocking AMD 64 (Hammer) 3500+

Thanks Paul,

Your information was very helpful. Maybe I can find an ATX or
comparable in the bargain bin at new egg. Layed off right now, and
don't have the cash.
Old August 10th 08, 05:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Light

Moe wrote:
Please forgive, I made a mistake on mobo model. Its an Asus A8AE-LE
(SR1750NX). Darn windows ID showed wrong mobo. CPUZ straightened me
out.

*No* stigma! Normal occurrence. I hope no flamers butt in.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old August 10th 08, 05:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Light

Moe wrote:

Thanks Paul

His answer was spectacular!

Maybe I can find an ATX or
comparable in the bargain bin at new egg.

Newegg presently doesn't have any 939's. Pricewatch shows some for
around $50. It would take some manual reading to see what they could do.

http://www.pricewatch.com/motherboards/socket_939.htm

If you can manage it, you could always get an am2 board, cpu with
cooler, and 2 gigs of memory for a little over $100. Throw in $30 more
for dual-core.

Old August 10th 08, 05:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

Moe wrote:
Thanks Paul,

Your information was very helpful. Maybe I can find an ATX or
comparable in the bargain bin at new egg. Layed off right now, and
don't have the cash.

You can try researching this one. S939 board with PCI Express graphics
slot, found via Pricewatch.com . $40. (S939 has been out of production
for a while, so you would not expect the "pick of the litter" in terms
of motherboards at retail.)

http://3btech.net/asa8so939maw.html

When it comes to stores on Pricewatch, it pays to check BBB or resellerratings.com .
You can see their reputation here, and read comments posted by people. I
guess my main concern, would be whether these people could be trusted to
handle an RMA, if the board is bad. (One danger with a $40 board, is a
lot of returns "orbiting" through the retailer, such that all they carry
are leftover bad boards.)

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/3B_Tech

This thread on the Asus forums, mentions the A8S-X is overclockable. At $40,
don't expect miracles. You may also want to read other reviews if you can find
them, to check to see whether the other clocks, like the PCI Express or
the SATA clock are "locked", while you're overclocking the processor.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

You can pick up a manual here.

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...us&model=a8s-x

More comments here.

http://www.newegg.com/product/Produc...82E16813131525

Maybe you'll find something more worthy on Ebay.

Paul
Old August 10th 08, 07:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Moe[_3_]

Paul wrote:

The clock generator chip also has a serial bus connection.
An example of a program that can access a clock generator
chip is Clockgen from cpuid.com. But Clockgen has a very
limited set of supported clock generator chips, and so even
if the program was still available, it most likely would not
help you. (Perhaps someone else can suggest a program like
Clockgen for you.)

Awesome tip! I found Clockgen 1.0.5.3, then found the PLL for the Asus
A8AE-LE (ICS 951412)

I was able to raise the bus speed to 230MHZ. (Max it would let me).

Results:

Bus 200 MHz to 229.4 MHz
CPU from 2200 MHz to 2523.4 MHz at 11x Multiplier
PCI-E from 100 MHz to 115 MHz

Not a great jump, but a good start. Im gonna keep looking to see if I
can find anything to raise it up higher.

Temp after boost = 40 C

Thanks again.
Old August 10th 08, 03:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

Moe wrote:
Paul wrote:

[...]

You were indeed born lucky ! :-)