Opinions on CPU choice please....

Old August 6th 08, 10:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

Default Opinions on CPU choice please....

I'm thinking of replacing my E4500 @ 3.32GHz with a 45nm part as this was
always my plan on buying this mobo (P5K-E WiFi-AP).

I'm on a tight budget. I was considering getting an E8400, that was always
my plan. However, I see that an E7200 is only 2/3 of the price, has a higher
multiplier and lower default FSB. I'm wondering how much real-world
difference the larger L2 of the E8400 would make? Especially considering
that I think the E7200 will reach a higher clock speed.

(Currently my mobo doesn't seem to want to go above 414MHz FSB. I'm running
the E4500 with a 8x multi [and my DDR2-800 synchronously]. I tried lowering
the multi to 7x and raising the FSB but didn't have any luck despite raising
the NB and SB voltages. I'd like to hit 4GHz with a 45nm CPU or I don't
think it's worth the upgrade. 9.5 [E7200 max multi] x 414 = 3.933GHz. I'm
hoping to eke another 8Mhz out of the FSB to hit the magic 4GHz mark. 9 x is
the max multi for an E8400 meaning I'd need to hit a 445 FSB. shrug Could
be possible although I don't know why I can't get higher than 414 ATM.)

As I said, I think I'll be able to clock the E7200 higher and it's NZ$100
cheaper. Will I regret not having the extra L2? I'm planning on keeping this
PC about as long as I kept my last one at least, 5 years. (I have a mobo all
ready for the E4500, currently running a Celeron 420, so I'm not just
upgrading one PC with this purchase.)

TIA,
--
Shaun.

Old August 6th 08, 12:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
General Schvantzkopf

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:15:11 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

[...]

It all depends on the applications that you are running, there are some
programs that are very sensitive to cache size but most won't be all that
sensitive. If you are running something that is highly cache sensitive
then upgrading to an E8Xxx will be helpful otherwise it won't unless you
can overclock the new part significantly more that the old part.

The new E0 stepping is supposed to have more overclocking potential, some
of the hardware sites are claiming that they can run the 8600 at 4.5GHz.
The E0 stepping is due out in the next couple of weeks however the only
way that you can guarantee getting it is to buy an 8600 which is the new
top speed grade, if you buy anything else chances are you'll get the
older version unless you wait for a few months to allow the old stock to
clear out.

Old August 8th 08, 01:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "General Schvantzkopf" typed:
[...]

Yeah, thanks. I'm pretty much aware of that. I use my machine for light
gaming (you can get an idea of how light by my GPU, a 7800GT) and SETI.
Other than that I don't do anything that a Tualatin wouldn't do just fine.
Oh, the rare video encode but nothing that I couldn't leave to run
overnight. In fact I don't do anything that I couldn't do just as well on my
old Barton XP2500+ (clocked to 2.2GHz) / ti4400. The thing is, I want this
PC to have the potential to last as long as possible, I'm on an invalid's
benefit and won't be making a major purchase for a long time to come. Also,
I'm an overclocker so I'd like to feed that side of my hobby.

Therefore I guess how well it performs in applications is really secondary,
I mainly want a part that I can get a good overclocking result with at a
price I can afford, which points me to the E7200. I mean, sure, it has less
cache than an E8400 but it has *more* cache than the E4500 that I'm running
now so it's still an upgrade in the cache department.

I was rather hoping that some folks here might have real-world experience
with OCing an E7200. Last time I hit the forums I didn't see much about
them, I guess I'm going to have to go look again...

The new E0 stepping is supposed to have more overclocking potential,
some of the hardware sites are claiming that they can run the 8600 at
4.5GHz. The E0 stepping is due out in the next couple of weeks
however the only way that you can guarantee getting it is to buy an
8600 which is the new top speed grade, if you buy anything else
chances are you'll get the older version unless you wait for a few
months to allow the old stock to clear out.

Hmmm, the E0 sounds good. However, *this week* (and until the next bill
hits) I can pay for a new CPU (note I don't say "can afford" :-( ). I'd
rather get one when I don't have to put it on a credit card. Also, if the E0
stepping is so good I reckon it'll be a long time until it trickles down to
the E7200s as they're likely to be, at least partly, downgraded E8xxx CPUs,
hopefully just with cache problems (and half of the E8xxx's 6MB disabled)
rather than clocking issues. Then I have the added complication of living in
New Zealand. We tend to be up to a half-year behind the US with new
steppings as stock is already bought. (It's different with new models, they
hit the shelves within a week....)

Thanks again.
--
Shaun.

Old August 8th 08, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
2CA001

~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

If you want to crunch SETI, then seriously consider a quad core. Even
the cheapest Q6600 will crunch more WU than any dual core will as you
can run four instances simultaneously instead of two in BOINC manager.
My Q6600, even when running at stock speeds, can crunch 4-5 times as
many WU as my old AMD64 XP3700 in the same time period (which is no
slouch itself on single threaded applications).

If you want this as a long term machine, remember that more and more new
applications and games will be compiled to thread better with
multi-cores so the quad is probably the better long term solution unless
you intend to upgrade again in a couple of years time.
Old August 8th 08, 07:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "2CA001" typed:
~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

Hi, thanks for the reply.

If you want to crunch SETI, then seriously consider a quad core. Even
the cheapest Q6600 will crunch more WU than any dual core will as you
can run four instances simultaneously instead of two in BOINC manager.
My Q6600, even when running at stock speeds, can crunch 4-5 times as
many WU as my old AMD64 XP3700 in the same time period (which is no
slouch itself on single threaded applications).

SETI is a minor thing. I like to do some crunching but it's not compelling
enough a reason for me to go 4 core over 2. (See below.)

If you want this as a long term machine, remember that more and more
new applications and games will be compiled to thread better with
multi-cores so the quad is probably the better long term solution
unless you intend to upgrade again in a couple of years time.

I agree that, in 5 years, most new apps will be multi-core aware. However,
couple of things: I'm still using an abandonware email client last updated
in '01. I use Word 2000, my latest computer game is 5 years old and I'm
intending to keep running XP Pro for the foreseeable future.

Also, as I mentioned, I'm on a budget and quads cost more to run than duals
as well as to buy. (Prices from my usual supplier, in NZ doallars: E7200 -
$209, E8400 - $296, Q6600 - $330. I can actually get an E7200 OEM 'tray' CPU
without cooler [which I don't need anway] for $175 though, not much more
than half the price of the Q6600.) I'm an overclocker and want to get the
most out of the CPU and can't afford to upgrade my cooling solution as well
as my CPU so I don't see an overclocked quad in my near future. My cooler is
great for OCing duals but I don't think it would allow me to find the limits
of a quad. And not overclocking to the best of my ability/equipment is out
of the question, it's in my blood, has been since I had a Pentium 90. (I
didn't try with anything older, I didn't know enough to risk the investment
back then.)

Ultimately I don't think I'm going to be seriously disadvantaged in the next
5 years by *only* having a dual core @ 4GHz. Also, a dual @ 4GHz is going to
be pretty close to a stock Q6600 as far as SETI output goes and will likely
use less electricity per WU being a 45nm part.

Thanks for your input, I take everything on board. :-)
--
Shaun.

Old August 8th 08, 08:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "~misfit~" typed:
[...]

Oh well, after I hit 'send', while I still had the web pages open from
getting the prices to quote, I ordered a bare E7200, NZ$178 including tax
and postage. That's quite a bit less than I paid for this E4500 last year.

I should have known I'd talk myself into the E7200 if I didn't hear
convincing reasons to get the E8400. I'm saving around NZ$100 not buying the
E8400 so will be able to eat *something* in the coming weeks. Also, and I
could be wrong here, I'm thinking that the smaller L2 will mean less chance
of errors (fewer transistors) for a given clock speed and also lower power
consumption/heat output.

I suppose now I'm going to see half a dozen posts telling me I've done the
wrong thing. g

What bothers me is the fact that I'm probably going to have to pull my
motherboard *twice* (and there's two optical drives and four HDDs in an
averaged-sized case). I lapped this E4500 and it reduced temps by ~7°C under
100% load. The IHS was really dished. However, I don't want to lap a CPU
OOTB, until I know it's going to work OK. Oh, didn't explain, I have a
Thermaltake MiniTyphoon cooler with a ThermalRight bolt-thru kit meaning
bracket on back, mobo removal to remove CPU.

I must buy a right-angled philips screwdriver too, it's near-impossible to
get to the screwheads on the bolts otherwise, I tightened them with pliers
last time, (thinking it *might* be the last time). I'd look at finding
hex-head bolts to replace them with except I don't like not having my
machine running and I'm in a fairly small town, I might not be able to
source them locally.

Ho hum. I was getting withdrawals from my hardware habit anyway, this should
'fix' it for a while. g
--
Shaun.

Old August 9th 08, 01:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

[...]

Still talking to myself. g

Turns out that I couldn't get the tray E7200 and had already transfered
funds so I topped it up and got a boxed E7300 (multi = 10 x 400MHz FSB =
4GHz) instead. It was still cheaper than an E8400 and hopefully will be a
lot easier to OC.

A quick Google with the words 'overclock' and 'E7300' lead me to believe
that it should hit 4GHz easilly as around 1.36V or less. fingers crossed
and that a lot of samples are doing 4.2GHz.

Wish me luck. Damn the weekend! It means a couple extra days until I get it.
--
Shaun.

Old August 9th 08, 07:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Bill" typed:
In article ,
says...
snip

Still talking to myself. g

Turns out that I couldn't get the tray E7200 and had already
transfered funds so I topped it up and got a boxed E7300 (multi = 10
x 400MHz FSB = 4GHz) instead. It was still cheaper than an E8400 and
hopefully will be a lot easier to OC.

A quick Google with the words 'overclock' and 'E7300' lead me to
believe that it should hit 4GHz easilly as around 1.36V or less.
fingers crossed and that a lot of samples are doing 4.2GHz.

Wish me luck. Damn the weekend! It means a couple extra days until I
get it.

Good luck with the E7300.

Thanks Bill. :-)

If it's as easy to overclock as my E8400,
you'll be lovin'it. Mine's running at 3.61GHz just by raising the
front side bus to 400 from 333.

Nice! I'm hoping to raise my FSB to 400 to, only with the E7300 it's from
266. I doubt I'll get there with default vcore but I can hope. g

Nothing else was changed from auto.
One of these days I'll get around to see what it will do, but it will
take a bigger case with better cooling no room to fit a large
cooler in my present case. Thermaltake VF1000

That's tiny!

I have a really good case for cooling, it's an iCute S901-5G1-BB, on this
page:

http://icute.com.tw/english/S901.html

They're relatively inexpensive but excellent for cooling, the best I've
seen.

I have an extra 12cm fan for the front so there are two blowing in over my 4
HDDs with a DVD writer mounted at the top and a CDROM at the bottom. I have
a 12cm fan exhausting from under the PSU (another 12cm fan in PSU) as well
as the 25cm fan on the side. I actually have to reduce the cooling in winter
as my HDDs run *too* cold! My current E4500 2.2GHz @ 3.32GHz idles at
ambient + 8°C and runs 100% load at ambient +24°. (Ambient ranges from 15°
to 26°.) That's with a Thermaltake MiniTyphoon all copper top-down cooler
(to ensure good cooling of the VRM MOSFETs).

I'm looking forward to getting my E7300 and will be happy if it will run at
10 x 400MHz for 4GHz fingers crossed. That's a 150% OC, a bit less than
I'm getting now with my 65nm E4500. If it does that fine I don't think I'll
try pushing the envelope any more. (Yeah, right!)

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old August 10th 08, 02:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Gorby

~misfit~ wrote:

[...]

My last case was an iCute. Brilliant case! That 25cm side fan blows
plenty of cool air over everything. It came with the clear plastic side
panel and lots of blue LEDs on the fan. Ho hum! I'm not into that so I
disconnected them. One thing I do like about having a clear side panel
is that you can see when things get a little dusty inside. I have always
regularly cleaned out the dust in my cases, but I do it even more so now
that I can see.

I have an e8400 with the FSB upped to 400, STD voltage, Corsair
TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX 4-4-4-12 voltage upped to 2.1v on a Gigabyte P23C-DS3R.
Still quite new at OCing, but having fun!

MB choice for C2D Neil Overclocking 1 December 29th 06 04:27 AM
Ext. USB HD Choice? fred Storage & Hardrives 2 October 9th 05 09:24 PM
Ext. USB HD Choice? fred Asus Motherboards 15 October 1st 05 06:36 AM
Best choice for mb? ***** charles Asus Motherboards 6 July 21st 04 07:16 AM