Overclocked It

Old February 28th 04, 12:03 AM
**-**

Default Overclocked It

My PC is getting on a bit now so I thought I'd try and speed it up a bit.

Spec is:
Celeron 1.3ghz (Socket 370)
Geforce 2 GTS
512mb of Cheap No Name 133 Ram
Gigabyte 60XM7 Motherboard

Running 1.52GHZ Processor @ standard voltage and Geforce GPU at 205 and
Memory at 370IIRC.

Max CPU temp is 52degrees after an hour of Prime 95.

Quite pleased with that.

Matt

Old February 28th 04, 12:53 AM
Adam Webb

dude, its 2004 ;-)

nice overclock though

--
______
From Adam Webb,

Old February 28th 04, 05:25 AM
)-()-(

**-** wrote:

My PC is getting on a bit now so I thought I'd try and speed it up a bit.

Spec is:
Celeron 1.3ghz (Socket 370)
Geforce 2 GTS
512mb of Cheap No Name 133 Ram
Gigabyte 60XM7 Motherboard

Running 1.52GHZ Processor @ standard voltage and Geforce GPU at 205 and
Memory at 370IIRC.

Max CPU temp is 52degrees after an hour of Prime 95.

Quite pleased with that.

Matt

1.52 Ghz is good for a Tualatin. Probably as fast as a 2Ghz P4.
I'm running 1.33Ghz on a 1.0A Tualatin Celeron

Old February 28th 04, 04:11 PM
Fry

Who cares if it is 2004 if you done that with a Celery sweet it is. when you
get the money together for a upgrade upgrade to the top then overclock until
you can hit that spot.

Old March 1st 04, 02:48 AM
P2B

)-()-( wrote:

**-** wrote:

My PC is getting on a bit now so I thought I'd try and speed it up a bit.

Spec is:
Celeron 1.3ghz (Socket 370)
Geforce 2 GTS
512mb of Cheap No Name 133 Ram
Gigabyte 60XM7 Motherboard

Running 1.52GHZ Processor @ standard voltage and Geforce GPU at 205 and
Memory at 370IIRC.

Max CPU temp is 52degrees after an hour of Prime 95.

Quite pleased with that.

Matt

1.52 Ghz is good for a Tualatin. Probably as fast as a 2Ghz P4.
I'm running 1.33Ghz on a 1.0A Tualatin Celeron

IME it's rare for a Tualatin not to make 1.5Ghz - I've got three 1.0As
at 1.5Ghz, and a P3-S 1.4 @ 1.575Mhz. All are undervolted to 1.4v except
for one of the 1.0As that needs standard voltage.

Old March 1st 04, 03:58 AM
David Maynard

P2B wrote:

)-()-( wrote:

**-** wrote:

My PC is getting on a bit now so I thought I'd try and speed it up a
bit.

Spec is: Celeron 1.3ghz (Socket 370) Geforce 2 GTS 512mb of Cheap No
Name 133 Ram Gigabyte 60XM7 Motherboard

Running 1.52GHZ Processor @ standard voltage and Geforce GPU at 205
and Memory at 370IIRC.

Max CPU temp is 52degrees after an hour of Prime 95.

Quite pleased with that.

Matt

1.52 Ghz is good for a Tualatin. Probably as fast as a 2Ghz P4. I'm
running 1.33Ghz on a 1.0A Tualatin Celeron

IME it's rare for a Tualatin not to make 1.5Ghz - I've got three 1.0As
at 1.5Ghz, and a P3-S 1.4 @ 1.575Mhz. All are undervolted to 1.4v except
for one of the 1.0As that needs standard voltage.

Your experience is better than mine. With 4 celeron tualatins, 2 - 1.3 gig,
a 1.2, and a 1.1, none have made it over 1.495 yet. That was using 2 BH6s
(BX), an Asus P2B-VM (BX), and two (different) Chaintechs (815 and VIA).

I think it depends on the motherboard. Such as it's voltage regulator
stability, among other things.

The regulator went out on one BH6 (since repaired) and on the VIA chaintech
(but I suspect a [maybe] unrelated capacitor problem with the chaintech).

Old March 2nd 04, 03:59 AM
P2B

David Maynard wrote:

P2B wrote:

)-()-( wrote:

**-** wrote:

[...]

I have the impression the 1.0As were more consistent than the "faster"
versions - I think of them as a reincarnated 300A: 50% overclock
virtually guaranteed :-)

Want to trade one of yours for a 1.0A?

I think it depends on the motherboard. Such as it's voltage regulator
stability, among other things.

Could be, although my P2B-S boards have noticeable Vcore ripple at 1.4v
which disappears around 1.7v, but they run Tualatins nicely. Three
boards have sequential serial numbers, but only two are stable at 150Mhz
FSB - the other tops out at 140Mhz, some BX chips won't overclock 50% I
guess :-)

Old March 4th 04, 01:50 AM
Spajky®

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:11:06 GMT, "Fry" wrote:

Who cares if it is 2004 if you done that with a Celery

Yeah TRUE! (I am not planning to change till mine
lasts too either ...
... (have it almost 2y now ...)

Max CPU temp is 52degrees after an hour of Prime 95.

finelly someone posts Ok (true ondie) temp (looks like Gigabyte shows
ok!) for Tuallie ....

-- Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old March 7th 04, 03:35 AM
David Maynard

P2B wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

P2B wrote:

)-()-( wrote:

**-** wrote:

[...]

Perhaps, but I can't imagine why. As the mantra always goes "same core,
same core."

The vast majority of users I see jumping up and down about the virtues of
the 1.0A were overclocking it from 100MHz FSB to 133 MHz FSB for 1.33 Gig.

I also note that most users aren't going in there and modding the AGTL
circuitry

However, the reports of 1.5 to 1.6 gig was why I picked a 1.3 to begin
with, in light of the FSB restrictions on my original issue BH6. I was
shooting for about 1.612 at 124MHz FSB since I 'knew' it worked at that FSB
(with my P-III). Well it didn't, with a 1.3, a 1.2, OR a 1.1. So much for
'knowing'

Want to trade one of yours for a 1.0A?

I doubt it would do me much good because the second problem I have is
tualatins over 1.4, or so, gig blowing Vcore regulators. (Mostly my fault
on the BH6. I let the ambient get hot when I knew better but was
preoccupied with something else.)

I originally did the tualatins as cheap upgrades to some very old, and also
some cheap (20 buck), motherboards but I just might fork over 'real bucks'
for an 'official' tualatin motherboard just to settle the dern issue once
and for all.

I think it depends on the motherboard. Such as it's voltage regulator
stability, among other things.

Could be, although my P2B-S boards have noticeable Vcore ripple at 1.4v
which disappears around 1.7v, but they run Tualatins nicely. Three
boards have sequential serial numbers, but only two are stable at 150Mhz
FSB - the other tops out at 140Mhz, some BX chips won't overclock 50% I
guess :-)

Hehe. Likely, and we've talked about BX 'overclocking' before. As I noted
then, mine are all very old BX chipsets.

Old March 7th 04, 04:51 AM
P2B

David Maynard wrote:

P2B wrote:

[snip]

I have the impression the 1.0As were more consistent than the "faster"
versions - I think of them as a reincarnated 300A: 50% overclock
virtually guaranteed :-)

Perhaps, but I can't imagine why. As the mantra always goes "same core,
same core."

The vast majority of users I see jumping up and down about the virtues of
the 1.0A were overclocking it from 100MHz FSB to 133 MHz FSB for 1.33 Gig.

True, but that's a no-brainer - provided you use PC133 and remember to
install the HSF :-)

I also note that most users aren't going in there and modding the AGTL
circuitry

Actually I haven't lowered Vtt on a single processor board (yet) - that
trick is only used on the dual P3-S systems where a pair of much more
expensive processors are at stake, and I have no evidence it affects
overclockability at all.

However, the reports of 1.5 to 1.6 gig was why I picked a 1.3 to begin
with, in light of the FSB restrictions on my original issue BH6. I was
shooting for about 1.612 at 124MHz FSB since I 'knew' it worked at that
FSB (with my P-III). Well it didn't, with a 1.3, a 1.2, OR a 1.1. So
much for 'knowing'

Want to trade one of yours for a 1.0A?

I doubt it would do me much good because the second problem I have is
tualatins over 1.4, or so, gig blowing Vcore regulators. (Mostly my
fault on the BH6. I let the ambient get hot when I knew better but was
preoccupied with something else.)

Perhaps not, but it would allow you to try a CPU that's known to be
stable at 1.5Ghz, and allow me to try a higher CPU clock on a board
that's known to be stable at 150Mhz FSB - I'd like to play around the
1.6Ghz mark, but have not had my hands on a CPU with more than a 10.5x
multiplier yet...

I originally did the tualatins as cheap upgrades to some very old, and also
some cheap (20 buck), motherboards but I just might fork over 'real
bucks' for an 'official' tualatin motherboard just to settle the dern
issue once and for all.

How many 'real bucks' would it take ;-)

I think it depends on the motherboard. Such as it's voltage regulator
stability, among other things.

Could be, although my P2B-S boards have noticeable Vcore ripple at 1.4v
which disappears around 1.7v, but they run Tualatins nicely. Three
boards have sequential serial numbers, but only two are stable at 150Mhz
FSB - the other tops out at 140Mhz, some BX chips won't overclock 50% I
guess :-)

Hehe. Likely, and we've talked about BX 'overclocking' before. As I noted
then, mine are all very old BX chipsets.

Hmm, now you mention it again, it occurs to me most of the older boards
I dropped new clock chips on wouldn't do 150Mhz FSB either. I think I'll
lower Vtt on the 'dud' P2B-S, see if it makes any difference.