133 Cpu/100FSB MB

Old February 14th 04, 04:24 AM
JKBK

Default 133 Cpu/100FSB MB

I`ve come into possession of a Slot1 733 133 FSB Cpu. I`ve emailed the MB
Manufacturer(PCPartner) and they`ve said the max CPU is a P3 600 100 FSB non
Coppermine. In looking over the MB specs (VIB861S/
APBS3-C861 ) I see it
has VRM 8.2 which supplies voltage from 1.3V upwards.
So if the 733 has a Vcore of 1.65 V is there any reason that I couldn`t
try the cpu? I see it either not booting or booting and misidentifying the
CPU due to FSB (733 Multiplier of 5.5 ) The last would give me a 550 P3
which is a definite improvement over my 433 @ 488 Celeron.
Any thoughts. Thanks Jeff

Old February 14th 04, 08:19 PM
JKBK

Boots up into Win98 as a P3 550E at 100FSB. Got some problems with some
already installed progams but suspect a fresh windows install might solve a
lot of that. If it works out it`ll give my second system another year or so
of usefulness.....At least until the new AMD `s come down in price.

Old February 15th 04, 12:45 AM
~misfit~

JKBK wrote:
[...]

Interesting that it is identified as a 550E as the E designation is
Coppermine and your board theoretically doesn't support them. (Different
micro-code as well as vcore). Your CPU is actually a 733EB or just B,
meaning it's designed for a 133 FSB (but you know that).

Does the OS or the BIOS tell you it's a 550E?

It might be worth your while looking around for a second-hand board that
fully supports the CPU at it's rated speed. They should be quite cheap.
--
~misfit~

Old February 15th 04, 03:41 AM
JKBK

"~misfit~" wrote in message
JKBK wrote:
[...]

Both actually.I`m getting the 550E on the bios splash sceen and Windows,

3DMark and Norton Systemworks ID it as a 550. I`m figuring the bios sees it
correctly and as my top FSB is 100 does the best it can. Wish I could change
the multiplier...At least it should run very cool.Maybe I can do a trade
with someone for a 100Fsb CPU of about the same speed.
As for another board I`m going to keep my eyes open for a deal but until
this came along I was looking at an AMD Duron combo.The idea was to pass on
my XP1800 Bcore from my main box when it was replaced.The 550E might hold me
now until the newer AMD`s come down in price.
Whats microcode? Are you referring to micron difference (.25 Katmai vrs
..18 Coppermine). I never trusted PCPartner tech support so this freebee CPU
was handy to try some things.I`ll keep a eye out also for a P3 850 100FSB as
this seems to be the max P3 in Slot 1. Does anyone know if there`s a 370 to
slot 1 convertor for the 1.2 Celerons or can I use the one that is with my
old 433 PPGA? That would open up some possibilities.

Old February 15th 04, 06:36 AM
~misfit~

JKBK wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
JKBK wrote:
[...]

Then your board/BIOS must be coppermine-compatible. Just not capable of
133MHz FSB.

3DMark and Norton Systemworks ID it as a 550. I`m figuring the bios
sees it correctly and as my top FSB is 100 does the best it can. Wish
I could change the multiplier...At least it should run very
cool.Maybe I can do a trade with someone for a 100Fsb CPU of about
the same speed. As for another board I`m going to keep my eyes open
for a deal but until this came along I was looking at an AMD Duron
combo.The idea was to pass on my XP1800 Bcore from my main box when
it was replaced.

What are you running that CPU at? I have the same doing 2.1GHz on a 200MHz
FSB, not looking to replace it for a while yet.

The 550E might hold me now until the newer AMD`s come
down in price. Whats microcode? Are you referring to micron
difference (.25 Katmai vrs .18 Coppermine).

No, I'm not talking about the manufacturing size. Each CPU has a slightly
different way to address it, called microcode, that is usually incorporated
into the BIOS. I really don't know the in's-and-out's of it, I've just seen
whith various BIOS releases, especially when going from Katmai to
Coppermine, that the new BIOS states; "Incorporate new microcode
instructions for Coppermines".

I never trusted PCPartner
tech support so this freebee CPU was handy to try some things.I`ll
keep a eye out also for a P3 850 100FSB as this seems to be the max
P3 in Slot 1.

Not true, there were a very few 1GHz PIII slot 1 100MHz FSB CPUs made. They
are really hard to find now though, and expensive. PIII's went even faster
in the slot 1 format on a 133MHz FSB. (1.13HGz?)

Does anyone know if there`s a 370 to slot 1 convertor
for the 1.2 Celerons

Upgradeware make a slot converter called the "Slot-T" that will allow you to
run a Tualatin CPU in a Coppermine capable Slot 1 board. (upgradeware.com)
Not cheap though. They have a compatibility page on their site, you can see
if your board is listed.

or can I use the one that is with my old 433
PPGA? That would open up some possibilities.

No, sorry, not possible. Not unless you want to go through some fairly
complicated modifications. (Instructions can be found on the net if you have
a steady hand, plenty of time, and are good with a soldering iron) You can't
even run a Coppermine (FC-PGA) in those early Mendicino slockets without
doing modifications. (There are Coppermine-capable slockets).

HTH.
--
~misfit~

Old February 15th 04, 07:22 PM
JKBK

"~misfit~" wrote in message
JKBK wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
JKBK wrote:
[...]

Looks like I`ll just be happy with the machine as it is (possibly a new

videocard.. I`ve wanted to try to try a Radeon for a while).
I havent OC`ed my 1800 as its in the machine my wife uses for
school...I`ll be killed if it crashed and took her lesson plans. It`s the
1.5 v that everyone loves (AXDA 1800 DLT3C JIUHB ) so I am looking foward to
being able to play with it one day.What cooler are you running with it?
There are Slot 1 cards on the US ebay for about $7 so maybe a look at a
Coppermine Celeron might be the best way to go. They seem to top out at 1.3G
.. That would definitly give me a breather before I had to upgrade.

Old February 15th 04, 08:01 PM
Spajky®

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 03:41:58 GMT, "JKBK" wrote:

Does anyone know if there`s a 370 to
slot 1 convertor for the 1.2 Celerons or can I use the one that is with my
old 433 PPGA? That would open up some possibilities.

yes it is only a Powerleap one, but expensive !!! It is cheaper to get
used or refurbished Tualatin ready MoBo or Slot-T + Cu_Mine ready
slot1 BX board from eBay ...

-- Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old February 15th 04, 10:40 PM
David Maynard

Spajky=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=B D=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=
=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=E F=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=
=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=BF=BD=EF=B F=BD wrote:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 03:41:58 GMT, "JKBK" wrote:
=20
=20
Does anyone know if there`s a 370 to
slot 1 convertor for the 1.2 Celerons or can I use the one that is with=

my
old 433 PPGA? That would open up some possibilities.

=20
=20
yes it is only a Powerleap one, but expensive !!! It is cheaper to get
used or refurbished Tualatin ready MoBo or Slot-T + Cu_Mine ready
slot1 BX board from eBay ...

What's the problem with him using a Slot-T on the motherboard he's got?

=20
-- Regards, SPAJKY =C2=AE
& visit my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com=20
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##=20

Old February 16th 04, 12:54 AM
~misfit~

JKBK wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
JKBK wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
JKBK wrote:
[...]

Fair enough. Mine's a 1.6v version so you should be able to do beter than
me.

What cooler are you
running with it?

I'm running the standard cooler but I put an 80mm case fan in a carefully
placed hole in the side of the case blowing directly into the CPU HSF and
ducted to the CPU fan by using a section of plastic cup that had the right
taper and hot-gluing it to the case fan so it has a few mm clearance at the
CPU fan (to allow removal/replacement of the side). I don't have the money
for fancy coolers and by doing this I dropped my core temp 10°C. (I have a
mate who spent $NZ100+ on a big-ass fancy all-copper cooler and only got
4-5°C temp drop) I'm running 1.875vcore to get it Prime95-stable at that
speed. It never goes above 60°C under full load on a very hot day (44°C/100%
load as I type, it's not a hot day, 20°C ambient). (SETI CLI runs all the
time my machine is on). It's ben running flawlessly for months and months
like this. 60°C is the hottest I've ever seen in MBM5 log and that was when
the room was 37°C.

There are Slot 1 cards on the US ebay for about $7
so maybe a look at a Coppermine Celeron might be the best way to go.
They seem to top out at 1.3G . That would definitly give me a
breather before I had to upgrade.

Coppermine Celerons never went that fast. Around 1GHz is the fastest they
went. The CPU you're talking about is a Tualatin and, as I said above, you
need more than just a Slot 1 FC-PGA slocket card to run one of those in your
board. Probably not worth the effort unless you can afford an Upgradeware
Slot-T adapter. Even then you *could* have a problem with the power MOSFETs
on your board, they weren't designed to supply the sort of current a
Tualatin draws. You an cool them as Spajky does with his.

You best bet is probably to keep your eyes open for a fast PIII Slot 1,
100MHz FSB. As I said earlier, they were made up to 1GHz although finding
one at a reasonable price could be a challenge as they are the ultimate
upgrade for a board such as yours and some people will pay the price of a
new Barton (or more) for one. I bought a PIIIE 650MHz for my slot 1 board.
Anything more than that and I could buy a new mobo-CPU (Duron Applebred) for
not much more and get faster HDD access times etc. as well.

That board is currently running a Coppermine Celeron 600 cB0 stepping (66MHz
FSB) at 900MHz (100MHz FSB) in a FC-PGA slocket and I'm quite happy with it
as a third machine, used as an internet gateway/mp3 player/spare basic
gaming machine (GF2MX400/64MB with 256MB system RAM) for when a friend comes
over and wants to play a LAN game with us. It runs 24/7. I was made an offer
I couldn't refuse for the PIII and I got the Celly for next-to-nothing *and*
it benchmarks faster than the PIII650 ever did.
--
~misfit~