Overclocking Noob

Old March 19th 09, 04:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Carl

Default Overclocking Noob

Hello, could anyone point me in the direction of a good overclocking guide?
I'm hoping to OC a Quad 9650 on an Asus Maximus Formula when my water
cooling kit arrives.

Old March 20th 09, 01:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface[_2_]

Carl wrote:
Hello, could anyone point me in the direction of a good overclocking guide?
I'm hoping to OC a Quad 9650 on an Asus Maximus Formula when my
water cooling kit arrives.

I think it would be beneficial to read this article, including comments:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3184

....and this one:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3149

Old March 20th 09, 04:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Carl

Thanks
Old March 21st 09, 02:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface[_2_]

Carl wrote:
Hello, could anyone point me in the direction of a good overclocking guide?

Some people posted their overclocked BIOS settings he
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=57098

A lot of those settings are for 65 nM CPUs. Personally, I wouldn't try more
than about 1.4 v vCore for your 45 nM part. A poster with designation "t_ski"
has the same CPU and motherboard as you, but wouldn't you know he didn't
post his full BIOS specifications. Some of those guys are a bit insane and
seem to be in a ****ing contest. It may be wise to beware of this potential
chip killer (high VTT), as some of the guys had this voltage set very high:
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=428

What type of memory do you have?

Old March 21st 09, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Carl

What type of memory do you have?

8GB of Corsair dominator, but I cannot recall the specification at this
moment.

Old March 22nd 09, 11:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Carl

I've got my CPU at 3.6 Ghz at the minute, I'll save pushing it any farther
until I watercool it. Interesting on some of those links that people have
flashed the maximus formula bios with that of the rampage- what benefits has
this?

Old March 22nd 09, 04:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface[_2_]

Carl wrote:

Interesting on some of those links that people have flashed the
maximus formula bios with that of the rampage- what benefits
has this?

It looks like more BIOS setting options. Couldn't find much specific.
Maybe check your current options for the tRD setting mentioned he
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033270910

But there's also the pretty splash screen and the feeling of having
gotten something for nothing...

Help me I'm a Noob LtTalos General 5 September 13th 05 02:38 AM
Help SCSI Noob Stuart Carrison Compaq Servers 1 October 18th 04 02:30 PM
Overclocking Noob The Berzerker Ati Videocards 4 October 3rd 04 01:24 PM
Overclocking Noob Requires Advise on overclocking-unlocking DVS__DVIT__INC Overclocking AMD Processors 1 September 13th 04 07:07 PM
Watercooling noob Toby Groves Overclocking AMD Processors 13 July 21st 03 04:04 AM