Cannot even get to Default Freq, having to UNDERCLOCK to be stable??? help please

Old February 6th 09, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Robert Blass

Default Cannot even get to Default Freq, having to UNDERCLOCK to be stable??? help please

My Specs are, q9400 cpu, gigabyte ga-ep45-ud30 rev 1 motherboard, 4 gb
of ddr2-1066 ram, using 700 watt PSU and using VISTA.

The CPU is defaulted to 2.66Ghz but I can't get it to even go beyond
1.99 Ghz or it will not boot or when it does boot it loads windows but
freezes.

Multiplier ranges are from 6 or 7 or 8, nothing else

I'm needing a good Combination of multiplier and cpu freq to get a
stable computer.

Its sad that I can't get near defauly freq because I read about people
going upwards to 3.5Ghz, a whole Ghz above the base Freq.

Is there something I am not doing or forgot to do or did I neglect to
change something about the ram settings on those ddr2-1066's ram
sticks?

if you can help me i appreciate it a lot.
Old February 6th 09, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_4_]

'Robert Blass' wrote:
My Specs are, q9400 cpu, gigabyte ga-ep45-ud30 rev 1 motherboard, 4 gb
of ddr2-1066 ram, using 700 watt PSU and using VISTA.

The CPU is defaulted to 2.66Ghz but I can't get it to even go beyond
1.99 Ghz or it will not boot or when it does boot it loads windows but
freezes.

Multiplier ranges are from 6 or 7 or 8, nothing else

I'm needing a good Combination of multiplier and cpu freq to get a
stable computer.

Its sad that I can't get near defauly freq because I read about people
going upwards to 3.5Ghz, a whole Ghz above the base Freq.

Is there something I am not doing or forgot to do or did I neglect to
change something about the ram settings on those ddr2-1066's ram
sticks?

_____

Set all your BIOS options to default. Do not try manual settings until you
get stable operation at default. At the moment, I'd guess you either have
manually selected an incorrect value in the BIOS or you have a defective
motherboard.

More than this guess would require that you provide the BIOS settings you
are using. However it is most likely that using the default BIOS settings
will give proper operation. After that you can experiment.

Phil Weldon

Old February 6th 09, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Rodney Pont[_3_]

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 13:01:03 -0500, Robert Blass wrote:

My Specs are, q9400 cpu, gigabyte ga-ep45-ud30 rev 1 motherboard, 4 gb
of ddr2-1066 ram, using 700 watt PSU and using VISTA.

I can't find that motherboard on the Gigabyte site at
http://www.gbt-tech.co.uk/Search/Search_List.aspx so I suggest you
check the board model number and go look it up to make sure it does
support the CPU and that you have the correct bios for that CPU. If
your BIOS is too old it won't know what to set the CPU at.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont