pci-e 16x not working on linux, windows is okay

Old December 15th 08, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Sat_

Default pci-e 16x not working on linux, windows is okay

Hi, I have oc a bit my comp:

MB: asus p5b-e
CPU: 6320 *@ 1.86GHz
stepping **: 6
cpu MHz ** : 2800.071
VCo * * +1.36 V
vga: nvidia 8800GTS 320

The video card on linux works only at 1x
by raising the clock @110Mhz on the pci-e bus it's correctly working on
windows at 16x, in this case linux stops working, keyboard is stuck, eth0
is not working and so on..

the problem is that i almost use only linux, and i keep windows there just
as play station.

any clue on what is going on here?

thanks for any help
--
·
Old December 16th 08, 12:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Sat_

Bill wrote:

Overclocking the pci-e bus is useless unless you like system
crashes.

I did not overclocked the pci-e bus, I had to in order to regain the 16x on
the bus

The 1x vs 16x use by the video card is governed by the video card
driver. It sounds like you are are using the generic nv driver in the
linux distribution that you ahem failed to mention the name of.

No, I'm using the latest stable from nvidia, on my slackware 12.1

I suggest you try for a more definitive answer in a newsgroup or
support forum that covers the flavor of Linux you are using.

actually I have downclocked the previous configuration and I've got it
working again. it seems stable now with good temperatures and finally the
16x link on the pci-e bus.

thank you anyway.

regards
--
·
Old December 16th 08, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Sat_

Bill wrote:

I did not overclocked the pci-e bus, I had to in order to regain the 16x
on the bus

First you say you didn't, then you say you did. Make up your mind.

I didn't because I didn't want to, then I was forced to.

The 1x vs 16x use by the video card is governed by the video card
driver. It sounds like you are are using the generic nv driver in the
linux distribution that you ahem failed to mention the name of.

No, I'm using the latest stable from nvidia, on my slackware 12.1

btw, I think it's not governed by the video card driver:

# cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "PCI Express"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 1X

looks like it's Xorg that sees the the Link already at 1X
--
·