Is this a myth re Windows disable after overclocking?

Old October 20th 08, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin[_4_]

Default Is this a myth re Windows disable after overclocking?

"John Whitworth" wrote in message

"Beemer" wrote in message
A friend has said that when installing XP prof and SP3 I should not have
activated Windows until after I had overclocked my Intel 8400. He claimed
that Microsoft would detect this (I assume during WGA and updates) and
disable Windows such that my computer will not boot.

The OS *may* detect a swapped out processor (i.e. for a different model).
But not the same processor working at a different speed. Most overclockers
ramp their clock speed up and down more times than a tart's knickers. It
would be a well known phenomenon on this group if it were so!

I think it used to be the case that you could upgrade/change two or three
devices before activation would kick in. And after six months, your slate
was wiped clean anyway. Certainly, despite protestations from many people,
and legality preaching from others, it is even possible to reinstall OEM
copies of XP on completely different machines if you give it six months or
so between activations.

JW

Even if you don't wait the six months, MS will activate an OEM copy over the
phone just like a retail copy.

Ed

Old December 15th 08, 12:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Random

[...]

I think its 120 days, so about 4 months then your hardware profile is wiped.
Does it work the same way for WinXP retail and *Windows Vista*? I've only
had Vista on a laptop where its unlikely I will ever change any part, even
if I changed or upgraded memory and HD I doubt it would need reactivating
(infact my laptops are factory activated) but on a desktop using Vista you
will want to change a lot more parts.

Old December 15th 08, 01:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin

"Random" wrote in message

[...]

I am not sure about Vista, but XP OEM and Retail are the same as far as
activation goes.

Ed

Asus P5AD2 Premium sems to disable the Intel SerialATA contoller when overclocking, anyone know a way to fix this? Jane Doee Asus Motherboards 0 January 14th 05 06:31 AM
Fry's $99 GQ PC - a myth now? Overbored General 1 October 23rd 04 05:21 AM
Disable ezcd in Windows XP Brian Cdr 2 December 12th 03 11:50 PM
How do I disable a 2nd processor in Windows 2003? steve General Hardware 1 December 11th 03 01:09 PM
AOL myth? Observer3 Gateway Computers 8 July 12th 03 12:38 PM