133 Bus CPU on a 66 board

Old June 11th 07, 02:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
[email protected][_2_]

Default 133 Bus CPU on a 66 board

I have an older computer with a 66MHz board. I also have an extra
faster CPU that runs at 133MHz. If I install the CPU will it downgrade
itself to 66MHz or will the board come up to the CPU's clock? Or will
it fail altogether ?

Old June 11th 07, 11:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Augustus

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an older computer with a 66MHz board. I also have an extra
faster CPU that runs at 133MHz. If I install the CPU will it downgrade
itself to 66MHz or will the board come up to the CPU's clock? Or will
it fail altogether ?

A little more detail as to the actuual board and CPUs involved would help
with advice.....but generally speaking, a mainboard that has a 66Mhz max FSB
is likely an old Intel LX chipset or similar designed for older PII and PII
Celerons. Even though a PIII 667EB Slot One or similar may physically fit,
it won't boot. There's no BIOS upgrade that can make an LX board or similar
run a PIII. You could, I suppose, stick a PII 450 designed for 100FSB BX
board in an LX chipset, but it would run at 300Mhz.

Old June 13th 07, 04:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_4_]

Augustus wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an older computer with a 66MHz board. I also have an extra
faster CPU that runs at 133MHz. If I install the CPU will it
downgrade itself to 66MHz or will the board come up to the CPU's
clock? Or will it fail altogether ?

A little more detail as to the actuual board and CPUs involved would
help with advice.....but generally speaking, a mainboard that has a
66Mhz max FSB is likely an old Intel LX chipset or similar designed
for older PII and PII Celerons. Even though a PIII 667EB Slot One or
similar may physically fit, it won't boot. There's no BIOS upgrade
that can make an LX board or similar run a PIII. You could, I
suppose, stick a PII 450 designed for 100FSB BX board in an LX
chipset, but it would run at 300Mhz.

Good advice, the newer CPU will infact be (assuming Slot 1) a member of the
Coppermine family of CPUs and no way will it run on a board that has a 66MHz
bus as maximum. (likely LX, as you say) Not only because the BIOS needs
different initiation instructions, especially for vcore, but also the
Coppermine draws more power at a lower voltage than the older board could
supply.

However, the maximum CPU would possibly be a Katmai PIII rather than a
Deschutes PII. (Although the BIOS won't understand the "new" SSE
instruction-set introduced with the Katmai it should still run) Both are
designed to run on a 100MHz FSB so will run slower and both have a vcore of
2.0v.

AKAIR Katmai's ran from 450 to 600MHz. A 600 would run at 400 on a 66MHz
FSB.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Old June 13th 07, 02:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 12, 11:48 pm, "~misfit~" wrote:
Augustus wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Shaun.- Hide quoted text -

I have done more research and the chipset is Intel 440ZX/100. The
current CPU is a Celeron (Mendocino) 466MHz (Socket 370). The CPU I
would like to put in is a Pentium 3 SL52R (Coppermine) 1000MHz (Socket
370).

Thanks

Old June 13th 07, 07:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Augustus

I have done more research and the chipset is Intel 440ZX/100. The
current CPU is a Celeron (Mendocino) 466MHz (Socket 370). The CPU I
would like to put in is a Pentium 3 SL52R (Coppermine) 1000MHz (Socket
370).

That's a no go. It's a PII compatible board, which may (or may not) as the
other poster said see a Katmai PIII as a PII and run it at slow speeds. It
will not run or even boot with a PIII EB Coppermine Slot One.

Old June 15th 07, 02:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_4_]

wrote:
On Jun 12, 11:48 pm, "~misfit~" wrote:
Augustus wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

As Augustus said, no way.

I have an AT (not ATX) ZX chipset Slot 1 board that ran a PII 450 @ 450
briefly but then failed to boot after a while. I haven't investigated why
(just jammed it into a space in the back room) but was told that the ZX was
a limited-run chipset, buggy at 100MHz and quickly replaced by the far
superior BX. Hence it's rarity and use predominantly for 66MHz applications.
--
Shaun.

Old June 26th 07, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
BobbytheBrain

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:55:26 -0000, "
wrote:

I have done more research and the chipset is Intel 440ZX/100. The
current CPU is a Celeron (Mendocino) 466MHz (Socket 370). The CPU I
would like to put in is a Pentium 3 SL52R (Coppermine) 1000MHz (Socket
370).

Thanks

Seems to me, that it should work. Not sure why the other guys are
talking about slot-1 cpu's, as you are using a socket 370
processor/motherboard. Maybe you are using a slocket? Regardless,
from what I recall, the ZX was the budget BX that offered fewer
expansion possibilities, even though both could utilize the same
cpu's. I see no reason why you should not try the cpu since the parts
are close to being worthless in today's market.
Old July 2nd 07, 03:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_4_]

wrote:

I have done more research and the chipset is Intel 440ZX/100. The
current CPU is a Celeron (Mendocino) 466MHz (Socket 370). The CPU I
would like to put in is a Pentium 3 SL52R (Coppermine) 1000MHz
(Socket 370).

Thanks

Seems to me, that it should work. Not sure why the other guys are
talking about slot-1 cpu's, as you are using a socket 370
processor/motherboard. Maybe you are using a slocket? Regardless,
from what I recall, the ZX was the budget BX that offered fewer
expansion possibilities, even though both could utilize the same
cpu's. I see no reason why you should not try the cpu since the parts
are close to being worthless in today's market.

You really don't have a clue so please refrain from offering advice.

The "pinout" on the Celeron Mendicino PPGA (Plastic Pin Grid Array) socket
370 CPU is different from the pinout of the PIII Coppermine FC-PGA
(Flip-Chip Pin Grid Array) socket 370 CPU. Simply put, it will not work.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Soc...0(PGA370).html

Not only that but the ZX chipset doesn't have support for 133Mhz FSB.

Also, the PIII 1Ghz isn't "close to worthless". It's actually quite popular
as an upgrade for people who have mobo's that *are* capable of running it
but currently have slower CPUs.

Thanks anyway BoobytheBrain.
--
Shaun.

Old July 5th 07, 12:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'cheney' wrote:
| The 1Gig P3's are a marketing wonder. Gotta have the 1G. Actually
| if you look at the specs, you're getting almost nothing in
| performance over a 933mhz model and you're creating a huge amount of
| heat (relative to the 933) to do it.
|
| The correct P3 to covet would be the 933mhz if you can't run a
| tualatin.
|
| Then there's the 800/100 camp for the email types
_____

No.

The Pentium III 1 G is the best for overclocking prior to the 'Tualatin'.
The BX chipset will not really support much more than a 133 MHz FSB because
PCI bus can not be locked to 33 MHz. Any PCI bus speed much over 37 MHz
results in hard drive data corruption. The Pentium III 1 G has a 100 MHz
FSB, so raising the BX chipset bus to 133 MHz results in a 1.33 GHz CPU
speed while the PCI bus can still be kept at 33 MHz. The FSB could be
raised as high as 148 MHz, but the resulting 10 X 148 MHz = 1.48 GHz speed
required heroic cooling.

The Pentium III 933 MHz is pretty worthless as an overclocking CPU because
it uses a 133 MHz FSB. The Pentium III 800 MHz CPU with a 100 MHz FSB is
much more valuable overclocker. With the Pentium 800 CPU with a 100 MHz
FSB, setting the FSB to 133 MHz results in an overclock to 1064 MHz, with
the possiblity of 148 MHz FSB giving a 1184 MHz. The Pentium III 933 MHz
can only be overclocked to about 1036 MHz because of the PCI bus speed
limitation 1/4 X 148 MHz = 37 MHz.

Pentium III 133 MHz FSB CPUs were never valued as an overclocking CPU.
The Pentium III 800 100 MHz CPUs and the Pentium 1 GHz CPUs with 100 MHz
FSBs were the highest overclocking CPUs available prior the the 'Tualatin'.

Perhaps you are thinking of the Pentium III 1.13 (8 X 133 MHz) which as
withdrawn because of heat and stability problems.

Phil Weldon