Am I Correct?

Old April 3rd 04, 03:02 PM

Default Am I Correct?

I have a P4 2.8 800 fsb, running DDR 466 ram, I am able to get the CPU to
overclock better than when I was running DDR 433 ram.

If I used DDR 500 ram, cpu would clock higher?

What would a 3.2g cpu with DDR dual channel 500 or more overclock too?

Am I correct in this thinking?

Old April 3rd 04, 11:22 PM
Adrian Kwa

yes and no

The final clock freq is made up of:

multiplier x FSB = Clock freq

divider ratio = FSB:RAM

NB Memory speed is 1/2 DDR rating

In your case:

14 x 233 = ~3.2 Ghz with divider at 1:1

if you turn the divider at 5:4, using the full potential of your fast RAM:

14 x (233 * 5:4) = 14 x 291 = 4.07Ghz

Unfortunately the northbridge will be your limiting factor in this case
and hence unlikely to be able to boot at all.

Now if you spend even more on your ram then:

14 x (250 x 1:1) = 3.5Ghz

Your northbridge should be able to take that speed. Your CPU cooling
have to be adequate as well obviously.

If you get a normal DDR 400 RAM:

14 x (200 x 5:4) = 14 x 250 = 3.5Ghz

Perfectly possible. And a lot of saving as well. Also bearing in mind
that most normal RAM can overclock to around 213:

14 x (213 x 5:4) = 14 x 266 = 3.7Ghz

Probably possible with watercooling at NB and CPU.

If you have got a 2.4c CPU, things are a bit different...

12 x (233 x 5:4) = 12 x 291 = 3.49Ghz

Definitely possible.

12 x (250 x 5:4) = 12 x 312 = 3.75Ghz

Not too sure that would work.

In summary, if you have a fast CPU (ie not 2.4c), then there is little
point in spending too much on ram if you are looking for pure CPU freq
overclock, since you can get better results with cheaper RAM using the
divider. At the end of the day it's your money...

Hope that helps.

Adrian

Old April 5th 04, 01:19 PM
Richard Hopkins

wrote in message..
I have a P4 2.8 800 fsb, running DDR 466 ram, I am able to get
the CPU to overclock better than when I was running DDR 433
ram.

If I used DDR 500 ram, cpu would clock higher?

Impossible to say. Would depend on which brick wall you hit first - the
limits of the CPU, or the limits of the memory. If you want to find out what
the limits of your CPU are, reduce the memory bus multiplier so the memory
runs slower than the CPU, then see how far you can overclock.

What would a 3.2g cpu with DDR dual channel 500 or more
overclock too?

Impossible to say. The answer would depend on what sort of cooling system
you ran, how good an overclocker the CPU was, etc. etc. etc.

Am I correct in this thinking?

Erm, no, but this is a difficult question to answer as your thinking isn't
clear. It *appears* to be that the type of memory you use directly affects
the overclocking potential of the CPU. That ain't true.

The CPU's overclocking potential is the CPU's overclocking potential,
period. However, you need to have a good match between the CPU and the
memory's ultimate speed potential to get the most out of your system.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old May 11th 04, 07:20 PM
wasdiscovered

wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
I have a P4 2.8 800 fsb, running DDR 466 ram, I am able to get the CPU to
overclock better than when I was running DDR 433 ram.

If I used DDR 500 ram, cpu would clock higher?

As a general rule faster memory "can" get you a higher o/c but it depends on
what you are working with. I run a rig with few weaknesses and I believe
that I know what all the weaknesses are. I had to replace a lot of
components to get to this point. I also run subzero water temps. Most of my
chips run well over the 4.0 mark. In my case running slower memory would
bring the o/c down a good deal. Under cutting the memory divider only works
to a certain point. At this point you need faster memory. In many cases this
is also a point where you will need better cooling.

The simple answer to your question woulkd be it all depends.

What would a 3.2g cpu with DDR dual channel 500 or more overclock too?

It depends on the weaknesses in the overall system the temps and the skill
of the over clocker.
I only have a 2.4b, 2.4c, 2.8c, 3.0c and a 3.4c so I could not tell you how
far a 3.2 can go, at least not till I get one. I'll let you know by the end
of the month.

Correct Ram to buy for new K8V-SE Deluxe MOBO? [email protected] General 12 December 3rd 04 01:36 AM
finally got correct fsb Julian Hales General 0 September 5th 04 05:24 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. jona General 2 January 24th 04 03:48 AM
correct dvd writer and reader setup Andy General 1 October 27th 03 11:13 PM
Correct way to fit IDE cable? Peter McVries General 5 September 30th 03 07:39 PM