1,8 GhZ 128kb only 10% ?

Old January 17th 04, 11:49 AM
Adrian

Default 1,8 GhZ 128kb only 10% ?

Hey!
I have Celeron (no comments pleease) 1,8 GHz 128kb cache, I've entered the
setup and changed clock setting from 100 to 110, and it works, but with 115
XP just hanged writing about risk damaging computer and Linux restarted. But
with 110 ( almost 2 GHz) and SetiAtHome running I have processor temperature
below 60 Celsius. So what's problem? Are there operating system settings
preventing from overclocking which I don't know about?

Please help!
Adrian

Old January 17th 04, 01:29 PM
Adam Webb

with 110 ( almost 2 GHz) and SetiAtHome running I have processor
temperature
below 60 Celsius. So what's problem? Are there operating system settings
preventing from overclocking which I don't know about?

your cpu cooler is too poor to be overclocking.

--
______
From Adam Webb,

Old January 17th 04, 02:44 PM
ElJerid

"Adrian" wrote in message
Hey!
I have Celeron (no comments pleease) 1,8 GHz 128kb cache, I've entered the
setup and changed clock setting from 100 to 110, and it works, but with

115
XP just hanged writing about risk damaging computer and Linux restarted.

But
with 110 ( almost 2 GHz) and SetiAtHome running I have processor

temperature
below 60 Celsius. So what's problem? Are there operating system settings
preventing from overclocking which I don't know about?

First point is that for a Celeron at only 10% oc, 60°C is too much, so you
shoul check your cooling anyways, as advised by Adam.
Second point is you didn't tell us about the other components. Did you at
the same time overclock your AGP/PCI, or did you freeze their frequency? If
yes, this is pobably the reason of your problem at 115 MHz.

Old January 17th 04, 03:53 PM
Adrian

Użytkownik "ElJerid" napisał w
wiadomości ...

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

I have changed only one parameter. My Celeron is now (110%) 55 C, but as I
said it's maximally overloaded by Seti.

Adrian

Old January 17th 04, 04:15 PM
ElJerid

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

You'd better never use the automatic % function to overclock your PC, as
this way of working overclocks everything. Go to the manual overclock
settings where you can can overclock exactly at the frquency you want, plus
adjust other parameteres like memory settings and AGP/PCI frequency.

Old January 18th 04, 04:09 AM
Adam Webb

seti isnt a stability tester, get prime 95.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm and do the torture test

seti may fail to add 1+1 etc, but continue to "crunch" and send wrong
results to seti, making them think aliens are on mars or something ;-)

im guessing that if your at 55c with seti, u will hit around 65c with
prime.....thats what happens with my A64, seti makes the cpu 40c, prime
makes it hit 45-50c

--
______
From Adam Webb,

Old January 19th 04, 06:04 AM
Peter D.

Adrian wrote in alt.comp.hardware.overclocking:

Hey!
I have Celeron (no comments pleease) 1,8 GHz 128kb cache, I've entered
the setup and changed clock setting from 100 to 110, and it works, but
with 115 XP just hanged writing about risk damaging computer and Linux
restarted. But with 110 ( almost 2 GHz) and SetiAtHome running I have
processor temperature below 60 Celsius. So what's problem? Are there
operating system settings preventing from overclocking which I don't
know about?

Maybe that particular chip just doesn't over clock well. I was a little
bit luckier. Mine didn't refuse to boot until a 40% oc. It seems to
be running happily at a 25%oc with nearly stock cooling. (Cardboard
box connecting cpu fan to outside of case.)

-cat cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 1
model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 2121.153
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips : 4233.62

Sorry. I am no great help.

--
Sig goes here...
Peter D.
Old January 20th 04, 09:17 AM
Adrian

Uzytkownik "Peter D." napisal w wiadomosci
[...]

Well, I've found something in my MSI mainboard's documentation: Intel
support (...) over 2GHz, (not tested yet).
It's from 2002.

Adrian

Old January 22nd 04, 12:19 AM
Clock´n Roll

"Adrian" wrote

Uzytkownik "Peter D." napisal w wiadomosci
Adrian wrote in alt.comp.hardware.overclocking:

Hey!
I have Celeron (no comments pleease) 1,8 GHz 128kb cache, I've entered
the setup and changed clock setting from 100 to 110, and it works, but
with 115 XP just hanged writing about risk damaging computer and Linux
restarted. But with 110 ( almost 2 GHz) and SetiAtHome running I have
processor temperature below 60 Celsius. So what's problem? Are there
operating system settings preventing from overclocking which I don't
know about?

FBS116 fx. could mean, if you or your mobo ( autom.) didn´t lock AGP and PCI
speeds, a 74Mhz APG ( not with ATI cards..) and more important a 37Mhz PCI
speed. I wouldn´t trust any windows prg. readings anymore at these speeds...
u might wanna check your bios temp. readings.

Well, I've found something in my MSI mainboard's documentation: Intel
support (...) over 2GHz, (not tested yet).
It's from 2002.

Adrian

My mobo documentation from 2002 tells me " up to 2Ghz " runnin´ a 2,4 Ghz
CPU..
SO... ;-)
How many u/min is ur cpu van at? At 2D AND 3D, pls.
Is it the org. boxed one ?
Don´t think at all ur PSU is the problem - but - is it a 300W ?
Is PCI/AGP bus at 33/66 Mzh? (locked it via Bios, if poss.)
Are u using ur highest mem timing settings? Try to...
Can you change CPU/MEM Ratio in your bios?
What kind of system do you have ?