Problems overclocking Aus P4C800

Old June 28th 03, 02:05 PM
Erling Groes-Petersen

Default Problems overclocking Aus P4C800

"Maveric" skrev i en meddelelse
Hi group,

I have run into some trouble overcloking my system. All components are new

and
are :
Asus P4C800 motherboard
Corsair XMS CMX512A-3200C2 (two sticks) DDR400 Cas2.0 memory
Pentium IV 2,4B (133x18) Processor
Q-Tec Gold 550 PSU
the usual suspects (2x HD, 1 x DVD-ROM, 1 x ZIP, 1x floppy & 5 casefans)

The Asus board from the word go sets the memory speed to DDR333 (166Mhz).

started from there and increase the core clock upwards. All went fine

(POST +
load of Windows 98SE and 1 run of 3D Mark 2001 SE) until i reached 156Mhz

FSB
(2808Mhz Core clock). No POST possible above this speed until i lowered

the
memory to DDR 266 (133Mhz).
I continued from here until i hit another brick wall at 166Mhz FSB

(2988Mhz Core
clock). No POST beyond that ?
As i understand it (and have experienced it) overclocking stops first

under hgh
load. If you push further then the OS may fail to load, if you still

continue
THEN POST may fail ........ right ? That's not what is see. (i increased

the FSB
in small steps of 1 Mhz at a time)
Also why does the FIXED memory speed react on the increasing FSB speed,

the
northbridge isolates the two.... not ?
The memory should be capable of DDR400 (200Mhz) but at high FSB speeds it

had
even trouble to stay at DDR266 (133Mhz) what gives ?
I feel the CPU has more potential but or the motherboard is holding me

back or
the memory is flakey/incompatible ?
Anyone ?

Greetings,

Frans Baetsen

Have you tried increasing the voltage to the CPU and the memory (Vdimm) ?

I'm running the same CPU as you, at 165MHz FSB, and have had to increase the
Vcore voltage a little, to make it stable at this speed. My memory is
Corsair PC 3500 (433 MHz) running at 413 MHz. Below their specs, but with
agressive memory timings, which required an increase of the voltage. Trying
to run at default voltage resulted in a complete lockup where I couldn't
even get into the BIOS to change the settings. Had to do a jumper reset.

Dunno if any MBs allow you to set the memory frequency completely
independent of the FSB. On my Chaintech 9EJL2 I have two alternatives, sort
of a low and high setting, and both vary along with the FSB. At 165 MHz
FSB, I get the choice between 330 and 413 MHz memory frequency.

My CPU seems unhappy to go further in speed, at least without increasing the
Vcore voltage to levels I'm uncomfortable using, so I have more or less
settled for its current speed of just about 3 GHz, which is a decent
increase of about 25 %.

Regards,
Erling Groes-Petersen

Old June 29th 03, 02:58 AM
Frank Weston

The memory speed is NOT fixed. It's a ratio of processor speed. Although the
BIOS may tell you that you're setting a memory speed, what you're really
doing is setting a ratio of memory speed to FSB speed. I think the P4C800
mobo gives you three choices of memory dividers (400) which is really 1:1,
(333) which is really 4:5, (266)which is really 2:3.

If the memory can't hang in at 1:1 with 156 FSB, I'd be suspicious of it. In
BIOS, disable Memory Acceleration Mode, which is trying to make use of a
feature your processor does not have. Try one stick at a time and see what
happens. Try relaxing the timing. If you still can't get memory to run
faster, think about sending it back. At 166 FSB (which is a 25% overclock),
you may be hitting your processor limit, but the memory should easily run at
the (400) 1:1 setting and tight timing.

Hope this helps.

k...

Old June 29th 03, 09:49 AM
Maveric

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:05:36 +0200, "Erling Groes-Petersen"
wrote:

Hello Erling,

Have you tried increasing the voltage to the CPU and the memory (Vdimm) ?

Yes i have, for 166Mhz i need 1,700V for 158Mhz 1,625V is alright.
For the memory i need 2,65 . If i go higher stability for 'Memtest-86' tests 1-6
increases but test 7 goed totaly wrong.

I'm running the same CPU as you, at 165MHz FSB, and have had to increase the
Vcore voltage a little, to make it stable at this speed. My memory is
Corsair PC 3500 (433 MHz) running at 413 MHz.

Lucky beep You can get your memory speed above 333, the asus board wil not
let you do that, only with 800Mhz C type CPU's
You shure have not the Asus P4C800

Below their specs, but with
agressive memory timings, which required an increase of the voltage. Trying
to run at default voltage resulted in a complete lockup where I couldn't
even get into the BIOS to change the settings. Had to do a jumper reset.

Hmmmm same here. Strange, a motherboard should be able to at east get into the
BIOS without memory ...... not ?

Dunno if any MBs allow you to set the memory frequency completely
independent of the FSB. On my Chaintech 9EJL2 I have two alternatives, sort
of a low and high setting, and both vary along with the FSB. At 165 MHz
FSB, I get the choice between 330 and 413 MHz memory frequency.

Sounds better then i can choose

My CPU seems unhappy to go further in speed, at least without increasing the
Vcore voltage to levels I'm uncomfortable using, so I have more or less
settled for its current speed of just about 3 GHz, which is a decent
increase of about 25 %.

That's what i was aiming for also.
Some further testing showed the memory is the problem. My type of Corsair memory
does not work well with my Asus board it seems.
It was not certified by Asus but since I was not planning running it a max. spec
(DDR400) I figured that it would not matter.... now it does

Regards,
Erling Groes-Petersen

Thanks for the reply

Greetings,

Frans

Old June 29th 03, 10:01 AM
Maveric

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:58:54 -0400, "Frank Weston"
wrote:

Hello,

The memory speed is NOT fixed. It's a ratio of processor speed. Although the
BIOS may tell you that you're setting a memory speed, what you're really
doing is setting a ratio of memory speed to FSB speed. I think the P4C800
mobo gives you three choices of memory dividers (400) which is really 1:1,
(333) which is really 4:5, (266)which is really 2:3.

That would explain a lot. There is nothing in the BIOS or manual to suggest
this.

If the memory can't hang in at 1:1 with 156 FSB, I'd be suspicious of it. In
BIOS,

More testing on my part showed that my type of Corsair memory is not compatible
with my Asus board. It was not certified by Asus but since i was not planning on
running it at max spec (DDR400) i thought i would be OK .... not thus

disable Memory Acceleration Mode, which is trying to make use of a
feature your processor does not have.

Still off, i was planning to play with that when i found a combination of FSB
and memory that worked stable.

Try one stick at a time and see what
happens.

Tried that, one of the sticks goes 2 MHZ FSB (160Mhz) further when running
single channel. The other is the bad one (152Mhz max). But both are not good.
If i apply your theory then this memory craps out at well below 133Mhz actual
memory speed ...... bummer

Try relaxing the timing. If you still can't get memory to run
faster, think about sending it back. At 166 FSB (which is a 25% overclock),
you may be hitting your processor limit, but the memory should easily run at
the (400) 1:1 setting and tight timing.

I have been playing with that. 158Mhz FSB with CL2.0 3 4 is the best i can get
there (2.0 2 3) is not stable and at 166 Mhz CL2.0 2 3 does run Memtest-86 OK.
When testing memory bandwidth the CL value does nothing, CL2.0 is as fast as
CL3.0, but the RAS & RAS2CAS values do give a performance boost.

Hope this helps.

Yes it does, time to get better memory

Greetings,

Frans