Im desperate

Old December 24th 09, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
reborn20

Default Im desperate

Help me, my cpu keeps overclocking... From 2,2 to 2,7Ghz.. It causing
most of my games run too fast or some of them slow. Plus usb devices are
working only in BIOS. In bios everything is fine as it should be. But
when it loads OS its overclocking itself again even after i reset cmos
and going to 2,7 again... Sometimes its possible to play 5 min fine on
2,2 but then it changes and becomes 2,7 again. I tried reinstalling
windows 3 times - didint help. Is there anyway to downclock my PC except
bios? I tried some software but havent found any useful...

FSB Bus is going from 200x11 to 243-250x11, Memory bus from 150 to
195-200.. Hypertransport from 800 to 1000..

Please anyone help me what can i do to prevent it from changing? It
really faked up my PC and i dont know what the cause of it... I dont
think that anyone faced that problem before...

'[image: http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4708/wqwq.th.jpg]'
(http://img69.imageshack.us/i/wqwq.jpg/)

I didn't overclock it.. It always keeps coming back and I can't
understand why..

Old December 25th 09, 11:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_14_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs reborn20 wrote:
[...]

Yeah, well, what with all that info about your hardware that you provided
I'm sure that you'll have the correct answers lickety-split.

Dumb-arse.
--
Shaun.

Old December 25th 09, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

reborn20 wrote:
[...]

Maybe you're running a utility that does the overclocking
for you ? Like RMClock or the like ? I don't see anything
in the Asrock documentation, to suggest they have a utility
that does it. They support overclocking via the BIOS.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...F4G-VSTA&s=939

Paul

Old December 26th 09, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
reborn20[_2_]

Nope, I don't have any overclocking utility and in BIOS everything is
fine as it should be. But still 20-25% Overclock always appears, and I
don't know what to do to downclock it.. Because i tried to do it from
BIOS, still overclock is coming back. I runned so many hardware test abd
did not found any erroers...Maybe its kind of new hardware virus.. I
can't play MMORPG i always get disconnect after min or two.. World of
Warcraft is running much faster than it should, Counter strike runs
slower than it should. And all USB devices aint working now... Its
something wrong with Power supply or its virus or I dont know ****..
Noone ever faced the sane problem.. One thing that im sure of is that im
positive that I can't remove that strange overclock from bios. And
everything was fine for 3 years and now such **** started when i did
something with Cheat Engine / Kernelmode debugger, but i doubt that
could do it. And I cant find any reasons why this **** is happening. If
i put overclock from auto to manual then even bios shows that pc is
overclocked but its on 200x11 not on 245x11.. Well I guess u understand
what I wrote here, if anyone has any idea how to fix that please help!.
The best I did was in bios i lowered CPU Frequency from 200 to 187 as
low as i could if i do lower it wont boot. ( Than it shows that its
227 in Everest and not 20-25% OC but only 14%... I still dont understand
why its 227 if in bios its only 187..??? Whats wrong with it..

Old December 27th 09, 11:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
reborn20[_3_]

I tried different clock programms, but it still doesnt help.. Overclock
keeps coming back. I don't know what's wrong with my pc. If pc stays
down for 20 min Overclock is gone for 10 min and then again its coming
back until i shutdown pc for another 20 min.. All temperatures are below
40"C and GPU is below 60. Also during those 10 min usb devices are
working too, but after overclock appears they stop working immediately.
It started when i did something wrong with Cheat Engine i guess, but
maybe its just a coincedence.
Also maybe it happened after i played Dragon Age : Origins... I dont
know for sure how that **** started.

Old December 29th 09, 04:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

reborn20 wrote:
I tried different clock programms, but it still doesnt help.. Overclock
keeps coming back. I don't know what's wrong with my pc. If pc stays
down for 20 min Overclock is gone for 10 min and then again its coming
back until i shutdown pc for another 20 min.. All temperatures are below
40"C and GPU is below 60. Also during those 10 min usb devices are
working too, but after overclock appears they stop working immediately.
It started when i did something wrong with Cheat Engine i guess, but
maybe its just a coincedence.
Also maybe it happened after i played Dragon Age : Origins... I dont
know for sure how that **** started.

The description of this tool, doesn't look like something that would be
trying to write to the clock generator chip. This deals mainly with
system memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheat_Engine

I don't think I've ever heard of a clock generator chip going on
a "joy ride" all by itself. If it is to change frequency, something
has to write the control registers inside it.

You would need some kind of tracing tool, that can tell that the clockgen
interface is being accessed. And I haven't a clue what you'd look for.

*******

One thing I try sometimes, is a clean install on a spare disk. The
idea being, to see whether the situation is a function of my crusty
Windows install or not. I leave my network disconnected, install Windows
and then do testing. With the network disconnected, there is no
attempt to send activation info to Microsoft. I only use an install
like that for a few days of testing, before discarding it. If the
symptoms disappear, then you know *something* is inside the other install.

There is a small possibility the clockgen chip could be defective.
But based on the posts I read every day, there is nothing to suggest
those chips are anything but the highest quality. I can't remember
the last time I've run into or heard of a problem caused by one
of those chips.

*******

Another question for you. A clockgen kind of program, should be
checking the registers on the chip on a regular basis. Do the
sliders on the clockgen program "move on their own" ? That implies
another agent is writing to the chip. If the clockgen controls
aren't moving, then perhaps the chip is changing speeds on its own.

To measure frequency, you need another time base to make the measurement.
A possible source might be the RTC clock. So perhaps the frequency
is wrong, because the time clock is wrong. Do you have any problems
with the motherboard maintaining time from when you shut down, until
you start up and check the BIOS screen the next day ?

*******

If you were to boot a copy of memtest86+, does the frequency reported
in there change over a period of testing ? I keep a copy of that on
a floppy, and use it sometimes as a basic hardware test case. It tests
memory, but also has some information displayed at the top of the screen.
Give it a try. Check the display at the top, and see if it changes over
time. Since your Windows OS or Linux OS is not running when this
is booted, it would be a test of whether the frequency is stable with
another kind of test in place.

http://www.memtest.org

The download for the floppy version, contains a floppy formatter.
It loads the floppy with binary test code. The floppy cannot be listed
in Windows afterwards - it has no conventional file system on it. But
the floppy can be used to boot the computer, even though you cannot
see anything on the floppy - the executable code is booted as if it
was a boot loader.

Paul
Old December 29th 09, 03:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
reborn20[_4_]

I tried using memtest86 and yes CPU clock changed. from 2200 to 2700. It
always keeps changing but i have no idea why it keeps happening.

****it, I've tried everything I can't change CPU FSB. If I change
CPU Frequency in BIOS +10 or -10 CPU FSB is still 40 more than it should
be... I don't understand whats wrong and cause of that, I cant use any
usb devices. Btw if I put Auto in (CPU Frequency settings) then in BIOS
never shows thats CPU is Overclocked, but if I put PCI ASync and if its
200x11 then it should be 2200Mhz, but it shows 500Mhz more... Im nearly
sure that noone ever had such problem as me.

Changed yesterday CPU Frequency to 220 it should be 2,4Ghz, but no
****it its 2,9. always ~500Mhz more than it should be. If i try to go
below 186 it wont boot anymore. And if i keep it @186 CPU freq than its
still 226 and has around 13% Overclock The time only when its not
overclocked is when i turn off pc for like 20-30 min and then i turn it
on it stays stable w/o overclock for 5-10 mins, not sure but I think
when i enter game it changes much faster, but i checked the temperatures
and everything is below 45"C and GPU is about 60.

I've runned many hardware test and I think there was no problem.. Well
heres one i runned OCCT :
http://filebeam.com/2d2996785e12b01521f927088db0aaaa. Im not that good
in all that stuff, but I dont think that anyone faced this problem
before me.

Old December 30th 09, 05:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

reborn20 wrote:
[...]

So if the speed changes while you're in Memtest86, then you know it is
not a Windows software problem.

I suspect now, that it is a hardware problem. Something in the synthesis
chain is drifting after a period of time.

I think the clock synthesis on your board, is inside the chipset itself.
There isn't a separate clockgen chip. I don't know whether the clock
synthesis would be in the Southbridge or Northbridge. Those are the
two chips underneath the two heatsinks. (Feel the heatsink, at the moment
the frequency is wrong, using your finger. If you burn yourself on the
heatsink, then you've discovered the problem. The heatsinks should be
able to keep the Northbridge and Southbridge cool enough, so it doesn't
burn you. If the heatsinks are hot, a rail voltage feeding the chips
could be out of spec.)

If you look at your motherboard, near the two red SATA connectors are two
metal cans without plastic sleeves on them. One is a metal cylinder, with
two legs on one end. A wire is fastened around the body, to hold it in place.
That one is the 32768 Hertz crystal used by the real time clock.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/939NF...A(Enlarge).jpg

To test that one, enter your BIOS, and look at the BIOS page that shows the
clock. Using a wrist watch with a second hand, compare clock time between
the watch and the display in the BIOS. Allow enough time to pass, to observe
whether your wrist watch time runs at the same rate as the time displayed in
the BIOS. That will tell you whether the 32768Hz quartz crystal is OK.
(Write down the time on both time pieces, wait 20 minutes, then check
the time on each of them again. Do both have the same number of elapsed
seconds ?)

That leaves the other metal can. It is like a metal hat, a bit wider
at the base than at the top. The two legs on that one, are hidden underneath.
If might have a frequency like 14.318MHz or some other weird value like that,
printed on top. If the quartz crystal inside the can were to malfunction, or
a cap near that thing was broken or defective, that could throw off the frequency.

To test that one, you'd boot into Windows, start your copy of CPUZ, and
wait until the frequency is incorrect. Take your finger, push down *gently*
on the lid of the metal hat. Rub your finger over the adjacent components.
(I can't tell in the picture, what tiny chip caps might be part of the
circuit.) Then, observe in CPUZ, whether the frequency shifts at all.

Other than that, I'd have to change the motherboard. I don't see much else you
can poke at on there.

I think an oscillator is malfunctioning - either the reference it uses
(the metal cans) is the problem, or something is getting so hot as to
cause the problem.

Paul
Old December 31st 09, 08:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
reborn20[_5_]

Ok thanks you for trying to help me, I think I'll just buy new PC in
fall..

Desperate HELP!!! bigmike825 General 4 January 13th 08 04:17 PM
A8N-SLI...desperate [email protected] Asus Motherboards 4 May 4th 05 07:58 PM
help? getting desperate BobMarley Asus Motherboards 3 January 26th 05 03:36 AM
DESPERATE STRAITS!!! Rohan Beckles Asus Motherboards 6 January 4th 05 10:02 PM
In desperate need of help... Flz828 Storage (alternative) 0 October 9th 03 06:54 PM